Police Lose M-16

This is a discussion on Police Lose M-16 within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; LA County Sheriff's Department loses M-16 rifle given by feds | Fox News So the anti's think only the authorities should possess firearms because only ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Police Lose M-16

Police Lose M-16

LA County Sheriff's Department loses M-16 rifle given by feds | Fox News

So the anti's think only the authorities should possess firearms because only the authorities will be responsible with them? Lets see a quick show of hands... To all the EBR owners out there, how many of you have ever "lost" your firearm or found it suddenly "missing" from your personal inventory? I would wager that the LA Co Sheriff's Dept. has a thief among their ranks. If this weapon winds up on the streets and is used in a crime, who will they blame then? The manufacturer? The NRA? EBR owners? Your guess is as good as any. I would love to know the statistic on how often this sort of thing occurs within law enforcement agencies?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    Whitmore says the department is drawing up new policies to avoid lost weapons in the future. The program will document every time a person handles a weapon.
    Interesting. I wonder how many departments across the states log/document each and every check-out, handling and firing of weapons by the LEO's, how many do not, and how many of those who don't end up with missing arms.

With a firearm assigned to an officer, it's clear who's got it and who's responsible while it's in the LEO's possession. But if "lifted" from the racks, then there's a thief in the ranks and possibly some fudging of records going on.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Black, pistol grip, flash suppressor, tactical sling???... Nope, I haven't seen anything like that around here.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Finders keepers?
    Mr B likes this.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Ya right !!!!

VIP Member
    Spokesman Steve Whitmore told the Los Angeles Times Tuesday that the department doesn't know how it could have happened, but it's wrong.
    That is the scary part, what else could they be missing??
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

A friend of mine who lives in the town beside me,said a deputy recovered a pump shotgun from a gang member,that had a police dept's name on it.

Never heard the deal with that.I guess it happens more than what's publicized.

Quote Originally Posted by knight65 View Post
    I would love to know the statistic on how often this sort of thing occurs within law enforcement agencies?
    From our time dealing with PD's in Central Indiana 15+ years ago, I can tell you that their procedures for issuing and keeping track of firearm deployments are as different as night and day. At Indianapolis PD, something like described in the story could have happened. It would have been impossible at the smaller departments. Then again, it's probably easier to steal (the gun in the story was not lost, it was stolen) nearly anything in a larger company environment when compared to a company with 15-20 employees.

Isn't the M-16 fully automatic?
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    Depends on the variant. It can be full, semi, three burst....just depends on how it was built.

The M-16 I qualified with during Basic was semi auto.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

At my last job I was reminded if an employee lost one of the 2 way radios we all carried that person would be responsible for the replacement cost. It would be deducted from ones pay.

I would surmise if LE organizations instituted a similar policy fewer weapons would go missing.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    The ones my old department got were select fire A1s. Our armorers then had to convert them to semi auto only and give uncle the full auto parts back. Strict accounting of all parts.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

That hurts to think about
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    The ones my old department got were select fire A1s. Our armorers then had to convert them to semi auto only and give uncle the full auto parts back. Strict accounting of all parts.
    BigJon10125 and blitzburgh like this.

While I was in the Michigan National Guard in the 1980's the Battalion S-2 Captain "lost" his M-16 during Annual Training. Of course he never got **** for losing it. The "word" was that they changed some of the serial numbers around and fixed it in the paper shuffle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links