Police dog left in car by officer and dies

This is a discussion on Police dog left in car by officer and dies within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is sad. This officer should be fired and charged accordingly. http://www.carolinalive.com/m/news/s...1#.UgwfLfXD8uo...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Police dog left in car by officer and dies

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

This is sad. This officer should be fired and charged accordingly.

http://www.carolinalive.com/m/news/s...1#.UgwfLfXD8uo
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Administrator
    Your link doesn't work, and I didn't read the article.... but a lot of if not most of these cases are caused not by negligence but by equipment failure. K9 cars are typically equipped with features that alarm, roll down windows and even auto start the A/C when the car gets to hot. Some of the manufactures produce pure crap and they malfunction or fail, resulting in a dead dog. Now I understand and even will agree that the officer should not rely 100% on those types of devices, but sometimes they haven't much choice.
    RMS, msgt/ret and Taurahe like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Your link doesn't work, and I didn't read the article.... but a lot of if not most of these cases are caused not by negligence but by equipment failure. K9 cars are typically equipped with features that alarm, roll down windows and even auto start the A/C when the car gets to hot. Some of the manufactures produce pure crap and they malfunction or fail, resulting in a dead dog. Now I understand and even will agree that the officer should not rely 100% on those types of devices, but sometimes they haven't much choice.
    Strange. Link works for me.

Police Chief said the officer went into his department thinking he would only be inside a few minutes so he left the dog in the car, turned off and windows up.

No equipment failure mentioned.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Strange. Link works for me.

Police Chief said the officer went into his department thinking he would only be inside a few minutes so he left the dog in the car, turned off and windows up.

No equipment failure mentioned.
    Either the car wasn't equipped properly or the cop screwed up.
    "Just blame Sixto"

We had a case similar to this at a PD near us last summer. News said there were about 500 people at the funeral service for the dog, which was buried on the PD grounds with full honors. The officer involved wasn't fired or charged but did leave LE on his own shortly thereafter. He had been with the department for 6 years.

...I got it to work two out of three times...something's loose somewhere...
    ...this is heartbreaking...

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Yes Somebody should loose there job over that one! no excuse ...!

Link failed first time, worked the second? weird...

Anyway, I'm certain his partner is devastated, and I'm certain his family will be, too. It's really a shame.

I do take my dogs with me in the truck with some frequency, even on warm days... and I leave the truck running, with the AC on, doors locked, when I have to go in somewhere.. .I set a timer on my watch, I am never inside and away from them more than 15 minutes. Windows are open too (couple inches), BTW.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member
    Wow, heartbreaking. My little girl looks just like him (blk lab). It was unbearable in the Carolinas on Monday with the heat. I remember here at the coast the heat index was 103 and it's cooler here than inland. The pup didn't have a chance.

This from the above link: "McNeil says the officer left Tank, a black Labrador Retriever, in a car with the engine not running and the windows rolled up, Monday.

The officer returned to the vehicle and saw Tank was not doing well"

Ok, this guy I'm sure feels bad but what an idiot. He had to know not to leave the vehicle for ONE minute with the heat as bad as it was.
    deadguy likes this.
    Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

Dog Gone

What a dork !!!!!!But then a lot of them are dorks.

VIP Member
    Sad thing
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    I don't see how you could forget about a dog in the car,but i guess it could happen somehow.

Distinguished Member
    It happens with kids too. One golden rule is NEVER leave kids or animals in a car unattended. No matter how quick the errand. I know police officers might have cause to have their K9 partner remain behind for a few minutes. The car needs to be running with the AC on, inform dispatch anytime they will be out of the car and the K9 is inside. If circumstances arise and a preset time limit is reached dispatch can notify the officer. Just my thoughts, but it seems reasonable.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links