so i was watching cops today

This is a discussion on so i was watching cops today within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This state trooper pulls over this guy in an suv and as he gets to the drivers side window the driver suddenly fires two shots ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: so i was watching cops today

This state trooper pulls over this guy in an suv and as he gets to the drivers side window the driver suddenly fires two shots at the trooper (he lived, had his vest on). While the trooper was moving back towards his vehicle he fired twice back into the drivers window.

The trooper then finished running back to his car to call it in and about the time he finished calling the bad guys took off in the suv.

I became confused after seeing this because I realized there was a good 5 seconds where I expected the trooper to continue firing at the driver from the rear of the suv (through the rear window). more specifically I expected that he would eliminate the threat completely before going back to his car.

Is there some rule that says LEOs can't fire from behind a suspect even after they fire at them?

I know I had some pretty ridiculous roe's when I was deployed so I suppose its possible I would just like to confirmed so I better understand what I had seen.

Nope.... but exiting the situation is better than engaging in a firefight. He has a handgun, and doesnt know what they have in the truck with them. Also the farhter he is away from the BG, the better his chances of survival. The cop took the best actions possible because he lived to see another day. In the end, there are two key things here. The cop knew that dying a hero wasnt worht dying, and that the BG cant outrun the radio
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I see, thanks for pointing that out.

The trooper running back to his car might be better than going to the back of the BG's car...unless the BG's car didn't have a 'reverse'...I'm just saying...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    Certainly not in LA.

130314_truckbig.jpg

Every time I watch Cops I can only think about the dialogue from the movie "Step Brothers"

Dale Doback: Why are you so sweaty?
    Brennan Huff: I was watching Cops.
    Erick46590 and blanco64 like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by XD40SCiinNC View Post
    Certainly not in LA.

130314_truckbig.jpg
    Seeing as how I counted 40+ bullet holes... I would make an educated guess and say that shooting involved more than one officer. Granted some of them appear to be exit holes indicating the supsect was firing as well, but thoat is an awful lot of bullet holes either way.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Just a thought, if he further engages before calling it in and something happens to him, the BGs will be long gone before someome checks up as to why radio transmissions have ceased.
    NONAME762 and 64zebra like this.
    Tada gan irracht - Nothing without effort

Umm no exit holes. That's the truck LAPD shot up when they were looking for Chris Whatshisname, ex cop. They burned down the cabin around his ears. Two housekeepers were driving to their job in a similar vehicle when the LAPD over reacted & panic fire took over. They fired over 100 rounds.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Saw a similar video once, except this officer fell back behind the BG's vehicle, moved to the right front of the cruiser, and emptied his magazine at the driver through the rear window. About halfway through the driver took off.

I'm no cop, but this seems to me to be the better approach. Even if he's not hit, the BG has to be thinking twice about getting out of the vehicle to finish you off.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by velo99 View Post
    Umm no exit holes. That's the truck LAPD shot up when they were looking for Chris Whatshisname, ex cop. They burned down the cabin around his ears. Two housekeepers were driving to their job in a similar vehicle when the LAPD over reacted & panic fire took over. They fired over 100 rounds.
    got ya it was a small pic so i wasnt sure lol
    ~Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Saw a similar video once, except this officer fell back behind the BG's vehicle, moved to the right front of the cruiser, and emptied his magazine at the driver through the rear window. About halfway through the driver took off.

I'm no cop, but this seems to me to be the better approach. Even if he's not hit, the BG has to be thinking twice about getting out of the vehicle to finish you off.
    it is, until the BG throws the car in reverse and pins you between his car and your cruiser, or he runs you over. As an LEO, i can assure you that the last I will ever do is engage an armed combatant when I can just as easily disengage. There is no pay high enough for me to actively engage a BG longer than necessary, or unnecessarily. A common misconception about LEO is that they have a gun to agressively pursue BD's...wrpong...LEO's have a gun to defend themselves if necessary. It just happens that more often than not a sidearm is the only weapon we have and it beats a sharp stick.

Also, by staying to the drivers side of the suspect vehicle, the officer made it very unlikely he would be hit, and almost impossible for the BG to aim. Pretend you are in a vehicle, and try and shoot out of the drivers side window and directly behind you...... its almost impossible to aim while doing.... by crossing to the right rear of the suspect vehicle he would actually place himself in a direct line of fire. staying on the drivers side of the vehicle also gives the officer tactical advantage id the BG decides to exit his vehicle. The officer would have a direct LOS shot to the BG and could not be taken by suprise. Rule no 1 is never take your eyes off the suspect.

I would say the officer made the right choice all the way through, and is very possibly alive because he decided to seek cover and concealment insted of shooting it out.
    CeltKnight likes this.
    ~Daniel Webster

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Seeing as how I counted 40+ bullet holes... I would make an educated guess and say that shooting involved more than one officer. Granted some of them appear to be exit holes indicating the supsect was firing as well, but thoat is an awful lot of bullet holes either way.
    Uh! NO! They were looking for a rogue cop in a Silver pickup, but shot up two old women in a blue pickup that were just driving down the road. I expect the cops are still armed and very dangerous, but not very good shots.

Ever notice how most of the time Le will cock their cruiser just a bit so that the passenger side is slightly toward your car. Especially State Troopers riding alone?? They do that in case they do bug out back to the cruiser. cocking it like that lets them get the engine block and front wheel, about all there is on the cruiser that will about for sure stop any bullet but a steel armor piercing round, between them and the vehicle in front of them should someone start shooting at them.

Standing in the open isnt to smart, and I dont know any LE that would by his or her self try to cover behind the perps vehicle unless they didnt believe they could make it to theirs.

Youll see singel troopers in videos return fire and take out a BG but itll almost always be while they are moving toward their cruiser keeping the BG pinned under fire and happen to take him out by doing that.

As they say you really have a hard time out running a radio and helicopter.
    Snub44 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

CeltKnight likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links