Defensive Carry banner

Speaking to an LEO

5K views 81 replies 48 participants last post by  NH_Esau 
#1 ·
Although I have little experience in being in a situation police are involved I have always wondered if there is a preferred way they want to be addressed. I've used both sir and officer on separate occasions. So for those of you who are LEOs do you prefer sir/ma'am or officer? Something else?

#3 ·
...My first words are "Hey, Bud" or "Hey, Girl"...and I always smile and wave...and very few don't return it...I guess I just look so harmless I'm not worth the attitude...I haven't found two unfriendly cops since I hit Texas in '84...of course, I haven't been to Temple...
...I've had 3 tickets in the years...good attitudes, all ...two warnings on expired stickers...

#32 ·
Yeeeaaaaaahhhhhhh, if you're having issues, that might be the problem. I've noticed that I am much more likely to get a warning than a ticket now that I am the same (ahem, or older) than them these days. I also eliminated "what's the problem officer?" from my greeting when I know darn good and well I was speeding. I am also more conscientious about pulling over immediately, engine/radio off, lights on, hands on steering wheel.

#8 ·
I don't have a preference....sir, officer, buddy, etc.......

anything is better than what I get called by the dirtbags I have to deal with

...and as for saying hi, returning a wave, etc....I ALWAYS do, even when I'm tired, ticked off after the last call, etc, I always try to remember (and teach my rookies) that the overwhelming majority of people in our town are the good guys and have no idea what we just had to deal with so smile, wave, say hi when appropriate, just continue to have in the back of your mind that someone not so friendly or good could be in the next car or around the corner

#13 ·
...brings to mind the shortest conversation I ever had with a customer...

...pulled up outside a 7-11 for a coffee...on the way in, from the old Chevy parked beside me, I hear "Oink, Oink" in a high female voice...

...I walk over and lean down...the driver almost falls over in the seat getting away from me...and I look at the only girl in the car...center back seat...pause...and answer "Arf Arf"...

...coffee sure was good...

#14 ·
Just treat and address with the same respect you'd give anybody and I'm happy. Typically I'd call any male sir unless he gives me a reason to believe he is not worth respecting or I happen to know his name.

Whatever you do, don't over do it. Overly using "officer" or "sir" just makes you an annoying dingleberry. Just because the man happens to wear a uniform doesn't change the fact that he's just a man.

#19 ·
Been called all sorts of names...most didn't bother me especially when I was called a name by a young kid, I realized it was his unruly parents speaking through him.

I really never had particular reference I desired. I just wanted to be treated decently like any other person. Once the tone changed from the person I was talking to and dependng upon what the need was to talk with the person, I'd either just walk away or just stop talking and stare at them. They usually seemed to understand I was no longer
in a normal communication mode.

Reactions: 64zebra
#24 ·
I would guess most cops just want the dome light on, and your hands on the wheel. I doubt they care less about the 'Yes sir' crap, their concern is just getting 'popped'. They want to stop you, give you a warning, or ticket, and get back to their car. They are worried about an aggressive attitude.

#25 ·
Deputy = deputy, ma'am, or sir
Pd = officer, ma'am, or sir
Trooper = trooper, ma'am, or sir

When I am approaching the officer I stick with deputy/officer/trooper.

When responding its sir/ma'am.

Heck I even say yes ma'am to the 16yo at the fast food place.

Sent from that tappy talky thingamajig.....
G23, 1 reload, 1 knife, 1 mindset.

#26 ·
I usually start with Hello officer If u have a second my daughter is selling cookies to support the FOP. There are 26 flavors, here is a list for you to choose from." And when your through with that my son is selling magazines to support the FOP as well.
How may would you like??? Of EAch??? :tongue:

#34 ·
This will probably come as a shock to most here, but I've only ever been pulled over once in my life for doing 40 in a 35 zone in a '76 Chevette of all things. Knowing that the local LEO was noted for his smugness, my conversation with him was you gotta be kidding me. I got a warning.

Let it be know that I am usually driving faster than most on highways but except for that incident, have never been pulled over. If I had an encounter with a LEO I believe I would give him/her the same courtesy I was receiving.

#35 ·
Knowing that the local LEO was noted for his smugness, my conversation with him was you gotta be kidding me.
I was riding in my fathers truck (he's too old to give a crap) when he got pulled over for speeding.

LEO: "Where are you going and why the rush?"
Dad: "None of your business. Write the ticket and get lost."
LEO: "Alright."

I kind of like how both of them handled it. I don't answer the "where are you going" type questions either but I do it more politely then my father. But I'll happily take the ticket rather then stroke LEO with yes sir/no sir if he's being a jerk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.