Speaking to an LEO

Speaking to an LEO

This is a discussion on Speaking to an LEO within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Although I have little experience in being in a situation police are involved I have always wondered if there is a preferred way they want ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: Speaking to an LEO

Speaking to an LEO

Although I have little experience in being in a situation police are involved I have always wondered if there is a preferred way they want to be addressed. I've used both sir and officer on separate occasions. So for those of you who are LEOs do you prefer sir/ma'am or officer? Something else?
    ArmyCop likes this.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    All the times I've had encounters with were usually very business like. Not friendly. Most don't even wave when you pass by and wave at them.
    NONAME762 likes this.

...My first words are "Hey, Bud" or "Hey, Girl"...and I always smile and wave...and very few don't return it...I guess I just look so harmless I'm not worth the attitude...I haven't found two unfriendly cops since I hit Texas in '84...of course, I haven't been to Temple...
    ...I've had 3 tickets in the years...good attitudes, all ...two warnings on expired stickers...
    031131, 64zebra and NONAME762 like this.

Lol if they weren't an average of 10 or more years older than me I might consider hey bud or hey girl

...if I remember correctly that long ago...it was "Howdy, Sir" or "Howdy, Ma'am" when I was young...
    64zebra and NONAME762 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    Although I have little experience in being in a situation police are involved I have always wondered if there is a preferred way they want to be addressed. I've used both sir and officer on separate occasions. So for those of you who are LEOs do you prefer sir/ma'am or officer? Something else?
    Dude?
    glockman10mm likes this.

...ouch...

VIP Member
    I don't have a preference....sir, officer, buddy, etc.......

anything is better than what I get called by the dirtbags I have to deal with

...and as for saying hi, returning a wave, etc....I ALWAYS do, even when I'm tired, ticked off after the last call, etc, I always try to remember (and teach my rookies) that the overwhelming majority of people in our town are the good guys and have no idea what we just had to deal with so smile, wave, say hi when appropriate, just continue to have in the back of your mind that someone not so friendly or good could be in the next car or around the corner
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I'm with Mel Gibson... I go with something like "Sweet Cheeks".
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I'm with Mel Gibson... I go with something like "Sweet Cheeks".
    And that's for the guys!!!
    Brad426 and BurgerBoy like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Dude?

welder516 and WHEC724 like this.

"Sit down, I'm not a dude!"

Pretty sure that's not how he meant that to come out when he was berating those kids.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

...brings to mind the shortest conversation I ever had with a customer...

...pulled up outside a 7-11 for a coffee...on the way in, from the old Chevy parked beside me, I hear "Oink, Oink" in a high female voice...

...I walk over and lean down...the driver almost falls over in the seat getting away from me...and I look at the only girl in the car...center back seat...pause...and answer "Arf Arf"...

...coffee sure was good...
    Brad426, SIXTO, Lish and 16 others like this.

Administrator
    Just treat and address with the same respect you'd give anybody and I'm happy. Typically I'd call any male sir unless he gives me a reason to believe he is not worth respecting or I happen to know his name.

Whatever you do, don't over do it. Overly using "officer" or "sir" just makes you an annoying dingleberry. Just because the man happens to wear a uniform doesn't change the fact that he's just a man.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...brings to mind the shortest conversation I ever had with a customer...

...pulled up outside a 7-11 for a coffee...on the way in, from the old Chevy parked beside me, I hear "Oink, Oink" in a high female voice...

...I walk over and lean down...the driver almost falls over in the seat getting away from me...and I look at the only girl in the car...center back seat...pause...and answer "Arf Arf"...

...coffee sure was good...
    Ha! Classic.
    Clint Eastwood

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links