Why a Department of Home Land Security?

This is a discussion on Why a Department of Home Land Security? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is not a facetious question, why do we need a federal DHS? Is anyone (or anyone you know) in favor, what are the pros? ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Why a Department of Home Land Security?

This is not a facetious question, why do we need a federal DHS? Is anyone (or anyone you know) in favor, what are the pros?

Thanks

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    The idea was that it would promote cooperation between different law enforcement agencies. Unfortunately the lack of cooperation came from a law passed during the Clinton adminstration so DHS wasn't really necessary, just repeal of the law.

Edit: the wall between the CIA and FBI was not a law, but a policy memo issued by dept attorney general Jamie Gorelick, who also served on the 9/11 commission.
    USM1976 likes this.

Why a government at all?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    Why a government at all?
    To provide for a common defense of the nation's borders and territories. That much is absolutely necessary.

Most other things are debatable.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Why DHS? Because the government will attempt to expand its power any chance it has. After 9/11 people were scared and fear is one of the major ways that government will expand that power.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    TO CIRCUMVENT THE POSSE COMITATUS ACT OF 1878!

I suggest a short course in history, but here is Wikipedia version that will get you started:

Posse Comitatus Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Job creation.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by chiltech500 View Post
    This is not a facetious question, why do we need a federal DHS? Is anyone (or anyone you know) in favor, what are the pros?

Thanks
    We dont. It was part of the big government power grab. They can give us all of the excuses they want as to why its necessary, but it all crap if you ask me....
    Alex_C, OD*, msgt/ret and 5 others like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

The concept of DHS was to increase cooperation and information sharing and reduce the duplication of effort between the various federal agencies. Basically the only thing we have now that we did not have pre- 9/11 is the TSA. Everything else is just new patches on the shirt and stickers on the vehicles. Some agencies used to be under Justice, some under Treasury, some under Commerce, etc. Now (in theory) what one member agency knows, they all know. No more excuse for someone not getting the memo.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    My question is "Does the SWAT team at the deparment of education report through DHS and why not?"

If DHS is really to reduce duplication of effort, dept of ed would not need a SWAT team, if it ever did.

Well-intentioned, but the execution is badly flawed.

Ditto the DoE twins, Departments of Energy and Education. Heavily funded, but what they have produced is vastly disproportionate to the tax monies spent (can't say "invested").
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    To provide for a common defense of the nation's borders and territories. That much is absolutely necessary.

Most other things are debatable.
    Also to provide a basic framework to enforce necessary laws that govern a civilized society (without which would be anarchy and chaos). And to provide the basic business infrastructures for individuals to start businesses, obtain employment and make the country economically viable.
    Hopyard likes this.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    DHS is a JOKE in my book. North and South Doors are open, East and West Doors also. Then we have this Big river ''MISS.'' up the middle, Also open last I heard? Wow I feel safe!!
    foxytwo, msgt/ret and 84160 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    Why DHS? Because the government will attempt to expand its power any chance it has. After 9/11 people were scared and fear is one of the major ways that government will expand that power.
    YEP. You beat me to it.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Heir comrade, it should be as obvious as recorded history...
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links