Disabled veterans not allowed to eat inside with their service dogs

This is a discussion on Disabled veterans not allowed to eat inside with their service dogs within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What's worse is that the responding police officer seemed to not know the law. Two Veterans With Service Dogs Kicked Out Of Long John Silvers ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree463Likes

Thread: Disabled veterans not allowed to eat inside with their service dogs

Senior Moderator

What's worse is that the responding police officer seemed to not know the law.

Two Veterans With Service Dogs Kicked Out Of Long John Silvers In Anniston Alabama | Guardian Of Valor
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

The first thing he asks is “What are your dogs for?” I state that they are for PTSD......
    A service dog for PTSD? Sorry, this service dog nonsense needs to stop. The dogs seldom have any real training at all and most simply state they have a service dog so they can take their family pet with them in places where they don't belong. There are a handful of legitimate scenarios in which a service dog is useful, and the annoyance they cause to others should be tolerated. PTSD? Sorry.

I would have told them to leave, too. The left continually whines about the "rights" of the "disabled" to the point where the rights of everyone else are trampeled. The dogs shouldn't have been there.
    dV8r and Jake228 like this.

Well you seem to be one hell of a judge of disability.
    ArmyCop, Sister, JDE101 and 8 others like this.

Gotta agree. There's too many lame excuses being used for service dogs.
    jackson85746 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaSig View Post
    A service dog for PTSD? Sorry, this service dog nonsense needs to stop. The dogs seldom have any real training at all and most simply state they have a service dog so they can take their family pet with them in places where they don't belong. There are a handful of legitimate scenarios in which a service dog is useful, and the annoyance they cause to others should be tolerated. PTSD? Sorry.

I would have told them to leave, too. The left continually whines about the "rights" of the "disabled" to the point where the rights of everyone else are trampeled. The dogs shouldn't have been there.
    +1
    I am a Vietnam vet and agree with this.
    Mardet65 and DrJekell like this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaSig View Post

What?

Ahh forget it.
    Ouijonbu and CaptSmith like this.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

VIP Member
    There are a LOT of vets out there. It's also common knowledge that PTSD is over-diagnosed. Heck, I probably have a little PTSD, but that term didn't exist back then.

However, what matters here is the law. If it's legal for them to have their dogs in there, then they should be able to have their dogs in there.

Don't like it? Change the criteria for definition of service dogs or change the law. I don't see an over-crowding problem with vets and their dogs as of yet.
    DJC7, ArmyCop, msgt/ret and 15 others like this.

Gotta agree. There's too many lame excuses being used for service dogs.
    That info posted in the article referencing the ADA criteria doesn't mention a dog's function as being for comfort or well-being, but rather one of performing a function for the handler that the handler cannot otherwise achieve on his/her own (ie, traveling due to loss of sight). Seems to me that, under that definition of "function" a service dog performs, the dogs in question wouldn't be covered by the ADA protections. Though, I don't know about the specific extent of such protections. In this instance, as well, the dog in the photo showed an "in training" harness; uncertain whether the statutes apply to in-training dogs that aren't actually with folks in need at the time.

That said, to me a legitimate service dog that's providing utility to people similar to what a crutch, prosthetic or seeing-eye dog might perform should be a covered situation. IMO, it also shouldn't be up to the staff to make the determination, outside of "sterile" type areas where it makes sense to preclude animals. If the staff's story about allergies (which nobody had complained about) were to stand, then it'd be hard to disallow such distinctions in, say, public parks, public sidewalks, or any other publicly-accessible business of any sort.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

"folks have allergies" they say.. yeah, well guess what? Being around cigarettes aggravates my allergies, as do the people who STINK of the smoke, it literally gags me and makes my breathing difficult even just standing near them... I also get breathing difficulties due to some peoples excessive use of perfume...

Dont see all of that being banned and those people being asked to leave.

The vets would be there for all of what, 30 minutes? Deal with it. If its legal its legal, whether you like it or not. There are people who are scared/frightened/terrified/abhorred/aghast that we carry firearms into public buildings and restaurants with kids, but its legal.. if you dont like it, there's a process for that, its called legally repeal the 2nd amendment.

Same rules apply here.. if its legal, dont like it, change the law.. the RIGHT way.. cant get it changed, live with it.
    ArmyCop, kukla, JDE101 and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    That info posted in the article referencing the ADA criteria doesn't mention a dog's function as being for comfort or well-being, but rather one of performing a function for the handler that the handler cannot otherwise achieve on his/her own (ie, traveling due to loss of sight). Seems to me that, under that definition of "function" a service dog performs, the dogs in question wouldn't be covered by the ADA protections.
    The test in Indiana has always been that the dog performs a physical function. In the scenario in the OP's post, there would have been no legal basis for the dog to be allowed here. My guess is that it is the same in Alabama.

Here in Indiana, we finally, just last year, were able to pass a strict set of guidelines and licensing for supposed service dogs. It was long overdue and has eliminated the gross abuse of them being "prescribed" by quacks who were looking for any paycheck they could get and by "trainers" who wouldn't know the nose end of a dog from the tail end.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

First things first, we are not doctors and should not attempt to know what other Vets are suffering from. I am a PTSD sufferer myself from the atrocities that battle presents. You have a right to your opinion and us Vets made sure of that freedom. However are we only supposed to be hurt when the mood suits you. Unless you have been there with these vet and myself, then don't subscribe to such sweeping indictments. If you can read this message thank your teacher, and if you can read this message in English thank a vet. Whining about the right of veterans, is this really accurate. We fought for our country, a country that pays athletes far more than we can imagine. So when a combat vet or any organization fights for veterans rights, you consider this whining? Sorry but all battle wounds are not visible. We get very nervous sometimes going out in public, the dog senses an anxiety attack and come closer to us in order to take our mind off of the situation, or they lead us to a place where there are less people. Service dogs are covered under the law, not your law but USA law. I don't see how having a service dog is trampling on the rights of others, what about the Veterans rights, all we ask for is the opportunity to survive in our country, and that's no more than you would demand. Presidential candidate John McCain also suffers from PTSD, he was tortured in the infamous "Hanoi Hilton" his body was left bruised and abused but I guess he shouldn't think about it. A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Unless we are trainers of PTSD dogs, we need to stop making speculations about their training. I was once told by a member that I should reconsider if I am ready to own a gun, well upon further review, I think that if a carried a weapon for 20 years for my fellow Americans', then surely I can carry one for myself. We all have a right to our opinion, but that doesn't mean its to be written about in this forum. Opinions are like sphincters everyone has one, and boy does that one stink badly. We have people with funky attitudes, just as funky as a fat mans drawers. This is a call to all veterans on this site, a issue has started a intellectual desert storm. I think we should oblige and engage. "This we will defend"
    82nd Airborne- When you care enough to send the very BEST

If PRO is the opposite of CON, then that means CONGRESS is the opposite of PROGRESS.

Revised ADA Requirements: Service Animals

"Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA."

...the Fed Law specifically allows service dogs in the instances spelled out here for PTSD...but not for others...and that's spelled out here, too...we don't have enough information in the OP to say whether those vets were included or excluded...it's not just physical jobs...as explained above...

...in my opinion, if a dog helps a combat veteran get through his day, he can sit up at my table and eat off a plate...
    Last edited by Snub44; September 5th, 2013 at 02:43 PM.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I draw the line at service dogs for the blind and those who are incapable of getting around without their assistance, a physical disability. Because they make you feel better isn't an excuse to declare one a service dog. It's an attempt to take advantage of a situation.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I draw the line at service dogs for the blind and those who are incapable of getting around without their assistance, a physical disability. Because they make you feel better isn't an excuse to declare one a service dog. It's an attempt to take advantage of a situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouijonbu View Post
    First things first, we are not doctors and should not attempt to know what other Vets are suffering from. I am a PTSD sufferer myself from the atrocities that battle presents. You have a right to your opinion and us Vets made sure of that freedom. However are we only supposed to be hurt when the mood suits you. Unless you have been there with these vet and myself, then don't subscribe to such sweeping indictments. If you can read this message thank your teacher, and if you can read this message in English thank a vet. Whining about the right of veterans, is this really accurate. We fought for our country, a country that pays athletes far more than we can imagine. So when a combat vet or any organization fights for veterans rights, you consider this whining? Sorry but all battle wounds are not visible. We get very nervous sometimes going out in public, the dog senses an anxiety attack and come closer to us in order to take our mind off of the situation, or they lead us to a place where there are less people. Service dogs are covered under the law, not your law but USA law. I don't see how having a service dog is trampling on the rights of others, what about the Veterans rights, all we ask for is the opportunity to survive in our country, and that's no more than you would demand. Presidential candidate John McCain also suffers from PTSD, he was tortured in the infamous "Hanoi Hilton" his body was left bruised and abused but I guess he shouldn't think about it. A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Unless we are trainers of PTSD dogs, we need to stop making speculations about their training. I was once told by a member that I should reconsider if I am ready to own a gun, well upon further review, I think that if a carried a weapon for 20 years for my fellow Americans', then surely I can carry one for myself. We all have a right to our opinion, but that doesn't mean its to be written about in this forum. Opinions are like sphincters everyone has one, and boy does that one stink badly. We have people with funky attitudes, just as funky as a fat mans drawers. This is a call to all veterans on this site, a issue has started a intellectual desert storm. I think we should oblige and engage. "This we will defend"
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links