300 rounds of "low recoil" buckshot in one day?

This is a discussion on 300 rounds of "low recoil" buckshot in one day? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My employer has just instituted a mandated Tactical Shotgun class for those of us who wish to keep carrying a duty shotgun. While I strongly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 300 rounds of "low recoil" buckshot in one day?

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar

300 rounds of "low recoil" buckshot in one day?

My employer has just instituted a mandated Tactical Shotgun class for those of us who wish to keep carrying a duty shotgun. While I strongly support the idea, I just learned from a colleague, who suffered through it, that each round is the tactical, or "low recoil" buckshot. He said the first 100 rounds were fun, the next 100 rounds were a chore, and the final 100 rounds were torture. The ammo for this class is provided by the PD.

I have usually fired no more than five to ten rounds of buck or slugs at one time, with the rest being light target loads. Since the Obamascare started, finding much buckshot of any type has been problematic, so to test this for myself is going to expensive, and perhaps impossible, due to low stock on hand.

Tactical, or "low-recoil" buckshot is not equivalent to a light target load. I am wondering if anyone can advise of a load with equivalent load that might be more available?

I am wondering whether other LE shotgun classes fire similar amounts of this type of ammo. I am also wondering if, perhaps, our command staff wishes to reduce the numbers of shotguns on the street, by requiring a brutal number of training rounds to be fired in one day? We buy our own weapons, within guidelines.

I reckon I might add weight to my 870P, for the day of the class, to dampen the recoil. I like to keep my 870P light, quick, and handy, with no magazine tube extension or sidesaddle, but I do have an old recoil-reducer, with mercury inside, I can slide into the buttstock, and might be able to find a way to add weight to a magazine tube extension. I can add a sidesaddle, too.

Changing the shotgun's weight and configuration just for a training class might be hypocrisy, but if the class is more of a torture-fest than a training event, I reckon I need to do what I must to survive it.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a fun day ! I would prob try some of this though........Shoulder EEZ Insert Pad by KICK EEZ
    cheap enough that it might be worthwhile if only for a day
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    Advil. You're gonna need it.
    Taurahe likes this.

Skeet shooters generally use a shoulder pad, when shooting. Oft times its sewn in their shooting vest.

They also make stand alone models, that have elastic straps that you wear sort of like a shoulder holster. Perhaps you should order one of those. I sure would.

Duk Tape and bubble wrap,each shot will bring that bubble wrap popping smile to your face.
    You may look into some steel shot duck or goose loads for equivalent recoil,the 2 3/4" 4 or bb might be the trick,or look into borrowing a Semi Auto Mossberg 930,they definitely shoot lighter than pumps
    BTW IMHO 300 rounds of buckshot in one day isn't training
    Secret Spuk and B_2keys like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

300 rounds in one setting would hurt anyone.

I've never fired more than a hundred at a session(And those sessions few and far between) Good luck let us know how it goes.

WOW 300 rounds?! I know I couldn't do that since my shoulder surgery.
    My last two training sessions were 25 rounds of 00 and 10 slugs with a couple of dummy rounds thrown in for failure training.
    I managed that by wearing a shoulder pad and clamping the stock under my arm for any shots under 10-15 yards. I still felt sore for a week after.
    Last year I qualified with a Ruger PC9 carbine, no more shotgun training for me.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

A long time ago I did 7 or 8 rounds of skeet in one day. I was beat when the day ended and my shoulder was mush the day after, and that was about age 35, shooting a 20 gauge auto with 7/8 oz skeet loads.

I think your command staff needs to re-evaluate the effectiveness of such a brutal training regime. I don't know of any professional school who runs through that many rounds of buckshot in one day. Most that I've looked at use about 80% birdshot to learn how to run the gun, reload, etc., and the remainder is split between buckshot and slugs. They need to take a look at what Thunder Ranch, John Farnam, Front Sight and Gunsite offer for SGN training, and adjust accordingly. What they've proposed is flat out abusive, and in my opinion, dumb.
    Brad426 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The bruises will go away. Last time out, we did 250 of the light load....
    Rexster likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I am a huge fan of the blackhawk recoil reduction stock. I put one on my pump 12ga. My wife has now chose my 12gawife over her semi automatic 20ga.
    That being said I have never fired that many rounds in one day. Good luck.
    Black Knight likes this.

This might be a wonderful opportunity to upgrade to a semi-auto. I could do that with my Binelli and smile. My wife could empty it twice (14 rounds as fast as I could reload it) Of course I'm not racking a slide or absorbing a ridiculous amount of recoil.

Owned that thing for ten years. It never jammed...

Can you install the Mesa Tactical telescoping stock, which contains a system for reducing recoil? You can add a Limbsaver to it, too (the one for AR-style stock).

Quote Originally Posted by mb1900 View Post
    Can you install the Mesa Tactical telescoping stock, which contains a system for reducing recoil?
    You can add a Limbsaver to it, too (the one for AR-style stock).
    Thanks for the suggestion. Fortunately, yes, I can install alternate stocks, and may well do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabster View Post
    This might be a wonderful opportunity to upgrade to a semi-auto. I could do that with my Binelli and smile. My wife could empty it twice (14 rounds as fast as I could reload it) Of course I'm not racking a slide or absorbing a ridiculous amount of recoil.

Owned that thing for ten years. It never jammed...
    Which Benelli? My Benelli M1 Super 90 was far more abusive than an 870, but that was during the HK/Benelli era, with a different buttstock. Firing 35 full-power slugs in one day left me feeling very beat-up, and I had to rest for a while before driving home; this was when I was younger and much more fit than today.

The M1 and M2 Benellis are light in weight, and recoil-operated, neither of which are conducive to light recoil. The gas-operated M4 Benelli is not an option, as my employer only allows the M1 and M2, plus the 870.

Thanks for the suggestion, though in the twilight of my LE career, I have to seriously consider a four-figure purchase.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links