College student joining the Marines in a year...what should I practice with?

This is a discussion on College student joining the Marines in a year...what should I practice with? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, I'm planning on joining the Marines (to get my student loan debt forgiven) in about a year. I want to be a scout sniper. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: College student joining the Marines in a year...what should I practice with?

College student joining the Marines in a year...what should I practice with?

So, I'm planning on joining the Marines (to get my student loan debt forgiven) in about a year. I want to be a scout sniper. I'm assuming there would be qualifications that I would need to go through and stuff so...what firearms and gear should I buy to practice with and what fitness standards/ASVAB score should I be aiming for?

Any other advice you former/Marines/current Marines can give me on things to do at boot? What's the most effective way to do the crucible? Thanks for the advice.

2. Remove Ads

Start with Pull Ups 3-20
    Crunches my son says they do these instead of sit ups now still 40-80
    Run 3 mile 18" to 28"
    I think that's up to date but check with recruiter to be sure. I was not a sniper but as I recall if you intend to be you will need to be performing at the top of those standards, in addition to having skills in stalking positioning and team work like nobody's business.
    USM1976, 357and40 and dling like this.

VIP Member
    Will you be a college grad? If so apply for a commission. Better pay and better living conditions while still serving.
    Taurahe, USM1976 and StevePVB like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Run 5 miles a day, do 20 pull ups a day, do 100 sit ups a day, do 100 push ups a day..... Dont worry about the gun's. The Marine corps will issue you what they want you to have and teach you how to use it.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    For what it would cost to purchase the "firearms and gear," you could make a healthy dent in your student loans and not leave the taxpayers holding the bag. The Marines will take care of issuing the equipment. Like others stated, I'd concentrate on physical conditioning like never before.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Just get yourself in good physical shape The Corps will issue you everything you need except a wife. When you are running behind the DI keep in mind YOU want to run over him when he drops. Don't do anything stupid.
    That brought back memories of my time at Paris Island. LOL
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Physical conditioning.... its where 85% of applicants for any military special programs.... ranger, seal, scout / sniper, force recon, PJ's, etc etc. fail. If you cannot max a pt test in every event, you are not ready. Scout / sniper school is a grueling... at best. at worst, you will wish you were dead. In between workouts, you may want to gain a solid understanding of a few key concepts.... range estimation, the coreolis effect and how it effect bullets, calculating bullet drop...these can all be difficult to understand and you will be ahead of the game.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Scout/sniper ENTRY RUN is 3 miles IN 18 MINUTES.

You had better be one tough son of a gun, and have the heart of a lion- That will get you in the door for scout/sniper. Learn to separate pain and exhaustion. Learn and do all you can to MASTER land navigation- this wipes more snipers out than shooting.

I'm not saying you can't do it, but the tools used are the least of your worries.

I was in the Navy for 10 years- and spent 4 as a special programs developer/instructor. Marine Corps sniper fell loosely under our umbrella. Oh yeah, learn to swim with gear on.
    Last edited by OD*; September 9th, 2013 at 10:56 PM.

Thank you for joining the Marine Corp. Thanks to anyone for joining any military service, something larger than themselves...good luck...you will never regret your decision...well, maye while in bootcamp you'll quesion it, but it'll pass.
    bmcgilvray and WHEC724 like this.

VIP Member
    I knew plenty of snipers that couldn't run 3 miles in 18 minutes. Don't know where that bit of legend came from- but it simply is not true.

You cannot enlist to be a sniper... you will be selected. Chances are you won't even be considered until you have a couple of years under your belt. As such the best you can do is enlist with an 03xx MOS and hope for the best. Along with the hoping do as many have suggested and get yourself in great shape. You'll want to be scoring very high on the PFT- 285 at a minimum to be considered for any of the "high speed" type stuff. If you can bump yourself up to the perfect 300 all the better. But you also need to make sure you look good in uniform, you do as you're told, and are a good Marine. Know your stuff, prove to be useful to your superiors, don't complain about what you're told to do, ensure your barracks room is perfect for every inspection... just do all you can to stand above your peers.

As far as the guns/gear- don't even consider it. The Marine Corps will teach you to shoot the Marine Corps way. It is a proven system that works well. The few bad habits they have to break the better off you'll be. It may come as a surprise to many, but shooting is the easy part of being a sniper. Any person on this forum could be trained to shoot at the same level (barring some physical disability). It is the knowledge and tradecraft that is a touch more difficult.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

All of the above is good advice. Be prepared to be turned into the toughest soldier in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Will you be a college grad? If so apply for a commission. Better pay and better living conditions while still serving.
    I'm not sure what that is. Can you please explain? And no, not sure. I'm only in community college atm...doing a 2 year associates, was then planning on transferring to a university after the Marines. The reason I wanted to go into the Marines first was because of the 50k in grant money you get from the GI Bill that ol' Bushy signed into law. Plus, I believe the cutoff age is like 29 or something isn't it?

... deleted ...

You'll be signing an initial 4 yr (active duty) contract; 50k divided by 4 yrs is only $12k/yr for school, then I imagine you'll have to extend your contract in exchange for the training - there's easier and safer ways to come by that $$$, including joining a different branch of the military. You can spend less than a grand at a very good long distance shooting school to get the same basic and long distance markmanship skills. Seems like you're kinda short on math and basic sense skills.

I was one of the smallest guys in boot, and a whole lot of bigger guys washed out. Getting the impression you're doing this for the wrong reasons - if so, it's doubtful you'll make it as a sniper or even a Marine.
    SIGguy229 and bmcgilvray like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by american23 View Post
    You've got it all wrong and backwards. The DI's are the ones who are going to regret making me do all the tests. I'll make them look so bad when I ace all the standards. I'll show them up so hard, that they will just give me all high marks just to get me to leave boot camp. ;)

They'll be like "Yeah, this guy is way too good. We gotta get him outta here...he's way too advanced for us".
    You just proved to me that you don't have what it takes.
    warbirds, archer51, OD* and 4 others like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    You just proved to me that you don't have what it takes.
    I was kidding.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links