Detroit Mayoral Candidate Benny Napoleon: How Do You Eat An Elephant?

This is a discussion on Detroit Mayoral Candidate Benny Napoleon: How Do You Eat An Elephant? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Through community policing according to Wayne County Sherrif and Detroit Mayoral candidate Benny Napoleon. I heard him discussing his One Square Mile initiative on WJR ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Detroit Mayoral Candidate Benny Napoleon: How Do You Eat An Elephant?

Through community policing according to Wayne County Sherrif and Detroit Mayoral candidate Benny Napoleon. I heard him discussing his One Square Mile initiative on WJR this morning and since the community likes to bag on Detroit (myself included) I would be interested to hear what others think about his idea:

I am not, nor have I ever been, in law enforcement but as a lifelong resident of the area I can't help but harbor a health skepticism for his claim that this strategy worked in the 1970's. I also can't help but feel for the poor cop who gets stuck with some areas of the city while someone else gets Ford Field/Commerica Park. So what do you think, does this have a chance of working?

Benny Napoleon presents 50% crime-reduction plan in bid to become Detroit mayor | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
    Last edited by Caertaker; September 12th, 2013 at 08:58 AM. Reason: space
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

On the face of it it sounds bogus. He's just another politician lying thru his teeth .
    MasterGadgets likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

In a few years, some of those officers might find themselves to be the only people in their square miles.
    OD*, mkh and blitzburgh like this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

VIP Member
    Well, I certainly like what he has to say and I hope he wins. It's going to take someone with guts and determination to take on Detroit's (or any city for that matter) problems.

I especially agree with him on this:

"Aggressively enforcing quality-of-life issues such as abandoned vehicles, graffiti, illegal dumping, littering, negligent land and property owners, loitering, loud music, speeding, dangerous dogs and other issues, which he said is important to sending a message that all crime will have consequences."

Getting rid of the ghetto image is a big step in curbing crime and urban decay.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

I wish him well but the current Mayor - Dave Bing is a good guy and enter the Mayors' job well intentioned and determined to clean up Detroit from the ground up.Mayor Bing is getting more frustrated by the day with the infrastructure in city government. As much as he tries, the departments of city government just don't do their job thanks to Kwame Kilpatricks human resources people hiring of incompetent cronies who would not work even if they knew how. I think the infrastructure is so damaged it is beyond repair. Best game plan - bulldoze the whole thing and start over. It all started with Coleman Young and never got better.Good Luck to the current Mayor and/or the future mayor. They have an up hill battle, at the least.
    " Life is tough and it gets tougher if your stupid." John Wayne.

Kwame Kilpatricks human resources
    It all started with Coleman Young and never got better
    That HR fiasco goes back to Coleman Young. Kwame inherited it. It's Young's fault.

One mile at a time is as good a start as any. Gotta start somewhere.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

They can't afford paper. Can't see how they're going to eliminate half the crime in 12mos time.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

As someone that lived in Metro Detroit for a while, and has spent lots of time in Detroit, let me tell you exactly what goes on there with police:

Basically: Detroit is freaking huge. It covers an enormous area considering the amount of people in it. For such a large city its population density is amazingly low (because half of it is abandoned). Because of this combined with the fact that dang near every one of the little rats decides to shoot at someone, stab someone, steal something, or attempt to burn something down on a daily basis, the police are absolutely hopelessly outnumbered and cannot maintain a high enough density all over to do good. So at this point one of the main tactics I see going on is containment. They hover near 8 mile road (the separator between bad Detroit and good Metro Detroit, yes, the movie was telling the truth) and attempt to stick on the arse of anything shady around those borders to keep it contained in shithole Detroit rather than spilling out into the surrounding suburb cities (even cities a half mile or less from the border are pretty safe, yet the moment you cross 8 mile you better be packin).

In addition to containment, they also have formed safer areas of the city where they group up. In the true downtown near the hockey and baseball arenas is one of these areas. The police stick around there in enough numbers to make the area fairly safe, the criminals mostly stay out. It's an extremely small zone though, it covers a couple sports arenas, a few restaurants. Don't leave it. Greektown is another such zone: it's hard to walk 100 feet there without seeing multiple cops. If you can get in/out safely, you can actually stay in Greektown until well after the sun is down without incident. Again though, very small area that they could maintain as relatively safe, 1 street and about a block or two of it, don't leave it.

They specifically started taking this tact because of how poorly "spreading out" was going for them. All it meant was that they were failing equally everywhere. So they bunch up some places to provide some safety in some areas. Hopefully this politician's plan doesn't destroy what little success that has brought them.

You can lead the people of Detroit to water, but you can not make them Drink.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Metro Detroiter here too, OP. all I can say is "Good luck, Benny!"

I loved the Andy and Barney slide!

I got a problem in general with so called HR people. In the old days they were called personnel managers or some such. Usually someone who worked their way up the ladder. Now some schmuck goes to university for 4 years, gets a job in HR and couldn't find a butt in a butt can.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

I haven't read the PDF yet, but will here shortly. It'll be interesting to see how they plan to pay for one LEO per square mile when they can't afford to issue birth and death certificates.

ETA: Thanks grbr for the "insider info".
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Only way to clean that city up in 12 months would be to throw it out of the US and send the Marines in.

His ideas aren't horrible, but probably not realistic either. Detroit is 143 square miles. That means you're going to have to have 143 patrol officers on shift 24 hours a day in addition to the detectives, narcotics units, vice, traffic, the supervisors and admin, etc. With the size of the department, that may be within reach. However then the wheels fall off. The repressed and poorest areas of the city need far more attention than the nicer parts of town. There are parts of that city that I wouldn't go to without a friendly face being within a mile of me... I can't imagine the Detroit PD officers feeling much differently.

Americans need to stop with the quick-fix mentality. It doesn't work in weight loss, it doesn't work in education, and it won't work for Detroit. The problems there are more of a long term process. The fiscal situation needs to be addressed first. Then the neglected infrastructure needs to be repaired. Some sort of industry will then need to be attracted to compete with the remaining auto makers. Once people in the city start seeing good jobs some of the nonsense will stop. At that point aggressive policing would be called for to rid the streets of the thugs that have been causing the most damage- such as shooting at fire trucks and ambulances. Get through all of that, then tell me about your one year plan... right now I just outlined a five year plan, and it may be too optimistic.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

“We need to affirm this city as a safe city,” Napoleon said. “If we don’t do that, you can do anything else — we can build the greatest stadiums, we can build the greatest attractions, we can build phenomenal housing — but if people don’t feel safe being there, they are not going to either come or stay.”
    .. and that's really the bottom line. Until they get a grip on the crime, most any other effort would be futile. The "One Mile Initiative" sounds great and all, but where is the money going to come from? I'd love to see him succeed, just like most of us here and especially the residents, but reducing the crime rate by 50% in year seems near impossible to me. However, if that number or anywhere near it is reached, I'd imagine the much needed money to revitalize communities would certainly come from private individuals and/or companies...

"Aggressively enforcing quality-of-life issues such as abandoned vehicles, graffiti, illegal dumping, littering, negligent land and property owners, loitering, loud music, speeding, dangerous dogs and other issues, which he said is important to sending a message that all crime will have consequences."
    That certainly needs to be done and IMO will make a big difference. People tend to act how their environment looks and accepts. When you're surrounded by dumps, the last thing you'll be doing is drinking your cup of tea with your pinky in the air.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links