My Dad, a retired law enforcement officer, passed away.

This is a discussion on My Dad, a retired law enforcement officer, passed away. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; On January 17, 2005 at 10:00pm, my Dad, Kenneth Allison Greenhill Sr., lost his fight with terminal cancer, and passed away. He was 74 years ...

Thread: My Dad, a retired law enforcement officer, passed away.

My Dad, a retired law enforcement officer, passed away.

On January 17, 2005 at 10:00pm, my Dad, Kenneth Allison Greenhill Sr., lost his fight with terminal cancer, and passed away. He was 74 years old, and would have been 75 on February 10th.

He leaves behind a wife of 49 years (it would have been 50 in a couple of months), a daughter, and two sons, as well as five grandchildren. He spent his entire life serving, protecting, and teaching others. He served his country proudly in Korea for 4 years as an cryptographer in the United Stated Air Force, where he earned two medals for his service. He also protected the people of Victoria County as a Deputy Sheriff and an elected Constable for Precinct 2 for 15 years, retiring from law enforcement in 1996 at the young age of 66. Before that, Dad was also a college professor at Victoria College for almost 35 years., where he taught English Literature.

Dad had two Masters degrees, one in History and one in English, and only lacked his PHD by 6 hours. He was loved and respected by everyone who knew him, whether one of his thousands of students he taught, a colleague at one of his many jobs, or a person he had arrested and helped. He treated everyone with dignity and respect, and it was returned.

Among his many hobbies and interest were custom wood working, shooting, and reading about history , mostly World War II. He was a history buff and could answer just about any question imaginable about WWII and anyone in it, especially Winston Churchill.

Without a doubt , he was the most knowledgeable and educated man I have ever known, as well as the strongest. He survived a case of terminal cancer in 1987, and went on to continue in law enforcement for another 9 years. I could go on and on for hours about his athletic, academic, or career accomplishments, and not even scratch the surface of what he has done. Someday I hope to be half the man he was.

On Friday, we will take him back home to Hill County Texas, where he will be laid to rest with the rest of his family. Words canít express how much he will be missed, but we are relieved that he isnít in pain anymore, and will spend the rest of eternity in heaven.

We love you Dad. God Bless.

2. Remove Ads

There is little more to say, he is such an outstanding person with his accomplishments may he rest in a well deserved peace and comfort in a special place above. It so difficult for a family to loose their husband, father and the one loved by all. Our wish for your family to carry on among the pain and sorrow. Richard

Godspeed.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    My condolences.
    I lost my dad on june 11 2002. If there were words to ease your loss, I would love to say them, but there arent. It slowly gets easier as time goes by.

My condolences in your time of loss. Rest assured he is in a better place looking down on your family and friends.

~A

May the Good Lord watch over you in your time of grief, hold you close, and give you peace. May He keep your father at his right hand, and re unite you at the end of time. Amen.

RIP, sir, your watch is over, and you stand relieved.

Administrator
    Sorry to hear this, S.O. Interceptor.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, I know exactly how you feel. It isn't easy.

I have a friend who lost his dad a few years ago. When I expressed my condolences, he said "You don't understand. This is a good thing." He had the misfortune of having a father that wasn't missed when he passed on. I can't think of much sadder than that.

While it hurts to lose someone who means so much to you, I learned from my friend that the real tragedy is not to feel pain at loss of a family member. I guess what I'm trying say is that the reason there is hurt now is that your father was such a good man. Again, I know exactly how you feel.

You'll always miss him, but when you think of his smile and the laughter you shared, you know he'll never really be gone.

SSKC

Smile

I too am sorry for your loss. Can't add much more to what's already been said but I can tell you this. My Dad past away in 1981 at 56 while I was stationed in Guam. It is very heartwrenching since I thought of all those things I wish I had said to him.....time does heal all wounds though. But what I have found is that quite frequently, I'll see or hear something as I go about living my life that reminds me of him, and quite often it makes me smile.......gone, but not forgotten !

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I appreciate it. The funeral was nice but simple, with the only flash or fancy being the Amaerican flag being draped over the coffin. A lot of surprise guest that we weren't expecting, made the atmosphere a lot less tense than I thought it would be.
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

Administrator

S.O. Interceptor

My Heartfelt Condolences.
    My Dad was the great man in my life & I still miss him dearly.
    I know how you feel.
    Last edited by QKShooter; January 23rd, 2005 at 04:22 PM. Reason: addition
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

S.O. Interceptor,

My condolences to you & your family. It's always tough when you loose a loved one, especially one that is as close as a parent. May God bless you & your family. I'm sure your dad is looking out for you guys everday from up there.
    Stops Jihad on Contact

You have my sympathy and condolences.
    People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to violence on their behalf.

Links