New Retreat for Wounded Warriors and their Families

This is a discussion on New Retreat for Wounded Warriors and their Families within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all, I live nearby and have seen the announcements of this place opening. I don't know the owners nor have I visited, but seeing ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By packinnova
  • 2 Post By packinnova
  • 1 Post By Jeanlouise

Thread: New Retreat for Wounded Warriors and their Families

Thumbs up New Retreat for Wounded Warriors and their Families

Hey all,
    I live nearby and have seen the announcements of this place opening. I don't know the owners nor have I visited, but seeing as we have a large number of current or former .mil here I thought it would be worth passing along:

Home | Boulder Crest Retreat

Boulder Crest Retreat for military and veteran wellness is the first country retreat established to provide free respite, activities and programs for our nationís seriously wounded warriors and their families to reconnect and recover during their recovery and rehabilitation.

Opening on September 6, 2013, the 37-acre retreat in Bluemont, Virginia will provide private accommodations and recreational and healing activities and resources to 250-500 families each year.

Boulder Crest Retreat offers the following ADA-accessible amenities and services:
    ∑ Four cabins that can accommodate up to six people and are available for 2 to 14 day stays.
    ∑ A lodge where guests can gather to connect with other families and participate in programs.
    ∑ Extensive outdoor amenities that include an archery range, nature trails, playground,organic garden, bird sanctuary and fishing pond.
    ∑ Recreational activities and programs include nature walks, fishing, archery, gardening, swimming and kayaking in the Shenandoah River, hiking the Appalachian Trail, golf, tennis and tours.
    ∑ Healing activities: yoga, meditation, massage therapy, journaling, art and music therapy, canine and equine assistance therapy.
    A couple of snippets from the FAQ page:
    Who can stay at the Retreat?

Boulder Crest Retreat is a rural sanctuary for wounded military warriors and their families to enjoy non-clinical, recreational therapeutic activities aimed at assisting with their physical, mental, financial and spiritual recovery. Boulder Crest Retreat recognizes both visible and invisible injuries, such as PTS and TBI. We serve wounded military personnel, their caretakers and family, as well as gold star family members.

Is there a fee to stay at Boulder Crest Retreat?

No, there are no costs associated with your overnight stay at Boulder Crest Retreat. However, if you choose to take part in any off-site recreational activities, you may be subject to regular fees through those providers.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Thats great they have a facility like that for our wounded warriors! Is that government funded or private?
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Looks like it's all private.
    They even post their financials on the site.
    CLASS3NH likes this.

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Yep...private.
    Boulder Crest is built on private land in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains donated by Boulder Crest Retreat founder, Ken Falke, a retired U.S. Navy EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) expert and successful local entrepreneur and his wife, Julia. This not-for-profit facility will offer accommodations and outdoor activities to troops who are undergoing rehabilitation treatments at local military hospitals. The private funding being raised will ensure that there will be no out-of-pocket costs to those troops and their families who visit.

“We are extremely grateful to the Clark family for this very generous gift. It means a lot to me knowing that the company responsible for building our state-of-the-art military hospital facilities is also involved in this very innovative private venture,” said Ken Falke.

Boulder Crest Retreat was announced in October of 2011 with a $10 million capital budget goal. Today, thanks to the Clark Foundation and Clark Construction, just over $7 million has been raised. A year ago, Clark Charitable Foundation and the Clark Construction Group was the first $500,000 donor to name a cabin on the facility grounds.
    Jeanlouise and CLASS3NH like this.

-The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    God bless the Falkes and Clarkes. It reminds me how many good, decent, unselfish people there are in our country. The majority of them never make the news.

Thanks for posting that! The facility and surrounding area is gorgeous!
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Slight update here. Looks like they couldn't get a property tax waiver for the property so they got nailed with a $10,000 tax bill. Fox picked it up:
    On the Record with Greta Van Susteren | Fox News

-The Mist (2007)

Links