Lessons from our night qualification range

This is a discussion on Lessons from our night qualification range within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last night we had our Sheriff dept. qualification range--at night--full dark, no moonlight. 1. Shooting with light in one hand, and pistol in other is ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By Chaplain Scott
  • 1 Post By manolito
  • 1 Post By Easy8
  • 2 Post By HotGuns
  • 1 Post By manolito
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Lessons from our night qualification range

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

Lessons from our night qualification range

Last night we had our Sheriff dept. qualification range--at night--full dark, no moonlight.

1. Shooting with light in one hand, and pistol in other is harder than it looks. Its better than nothing, but still hard. (solution one--more practice. Solution two--weapon mounted light. Big sigh--more $$$)

2. Same thing with my AR--harder to stay on target and not follow the light if you accidently shift the light in your off hand. (solution--a weapon mounted light--again, more $$$$)

3. My pistol (I shot/qualified with both my new Sig with iron night sights and my 1911 with night sights AND Crimson Trace) with the Laser made an incredible difference at night. My groups with the Sig (w/o Laser) were WAY larger and the groups with the Laser were really nice and tight. (the BG would have been DRT with either, but I'm sold on the Laser for night shooting.) (but will also practice without them as well)
    manolito, wdbailey and Kennydale like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Scott were you using Lawman ammunition? I am asking because I have shot several different ammunitions at night and lawman appears to have a smaller flash than others I have shot. Takes me about 20 minutes to get my night vision back once I shoot.

Imagine St. Peter I am here because I didn't want to spend the money on a rail light>
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

Manolito, I carry snubs an since most problems happen in low light situations I was searching for the best low flash ammo I could find. So far Buffalo Bore low flash low smoke is by far the best I have found.
    manolito likes this.

Actually, the muzzle flash was not a big deal. My handheld flashlight puts out 400 lumens, so night vision is gone anyway.......
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Senior Moderator
    Muzzle flash can be a big deal if you happen to focus in on a gun being shot. I did that once and saw muzzle flashes on my eyeballs for several minutes. Big mistake. Couldn't even see the target after that.
    Chaplain Scott and manolito like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Muzzle flash can be a big deal if you happen to focus in on a gun being shot. I did that once and saw muzzle flashes on my eyeballs for several minutes. Big mistake. Couldn't even see the target after that.
    Well, at least the muzzle flash wasn't aimed AT YOU
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

- Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member
    Easy8 thanks I am off to Cabelas to give it a try. I am not in enforcement I am a rancher let me just say a lot of predators are night stalkers ;-) Now if I could get one that eliminates skunk smell I would be in business.

Administrator
    Problem 1, solution two... thats no solution. WML are nice, but you still really need to know how to hold a light and shoot. There are more than a few methods for this, find one that works for you and practice.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You guys can see at night?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    OV I know that the Airforce is inside with lights on but the rest of us have learned to use ambient light. The moon also reflects a fair amount of light.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    We didn't work at night . . . We were partying at the pool!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Problem 1, solution two... thats no solution. WML are nice, but you still really need to know how to hold a light and shoot. There are more than a few methods for this, find one that works for you and practice.
    And practice, and practice, and practice..........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

- Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    problem with weapon mounted light is the temptation to use your gun as a flash light and there by pointing you gun before identifying the threat.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Links