This is how it's done

This is a discussion on This is how it's done within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's a vid which shows how every OC - LEO encounter should go, if at all. The deputy was dispatched b/c of a concerned caller ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: This is how it's done

This is how it's done

Here's a vid which shows how every OC - LEO encounter should go, if at all. The deputy was dispatched b/c of a concerned caller and approached the group in a friendly, respectful manner and was able to confirm there was nothing nefarious going on. What should be glaringly obvious, in contrast to most other vids, is the complete lack of repeated, or really even one, request/demands for id, name, "where you going", "where you've been", or a show of force with additional deputies/officers. In response, all the OC'ers were friendly and respectful. Everyone had an enjoyable time made possible by some ignorant fool and a sharp deputy. Once again, the entire tone of the encounter was set by the LEO - as it always is.
    http://www.wnd.com/2013/09/watch-dep...rmed-citizens/

2. Remove Ads

Awesome video. Glad to see those guys out there doing what they're doing and very professional sheriff.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Very nice.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Yeah, not the response the dudes with the signs were hoping for... the hidden camera kind of spoils it and shows their agenda.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Presumptuous to assume they were hoping for some other response. The article stated they "took out" their cameras when he approached, so "hidden"? Perhaps that's exactly the response they were hoping for. I would.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

To me it looked like folks on both sides of the badge behaving like adults. This is not a bad thing.

mkh
    Great job Deputy. You are a credit to your profesion.

It's so nice to see a positive encounter out of the many negatives. Good job deputy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Student of the Gun; a beginner once, a student for life.

The ol' "soft shoe." Got the interviewing and questions in his mind out of the way, easily determining these folks were not hardly a threat to anyone. Well done.

Of course, without the cues of a clear and obvious protest of some sort, there's not much to go on for the arriving officer. I imagine in that other sort of situation, just a random individual walking down the street for example, some questions would need to be asked if that officer insisted on making contact. No way around that.

In the OP situation, though, it's good to see a softer and professional encounter, one that didn't spiral sideways. Kudos to both perspectives, there.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Yeah, not the response the dudes with the signs were hoping for... the hidden camera kind of spoils it and shows their agenda.
    Oh c'mon, are you kidding me? Don't be that guy.
    nedrgr21 and BurgerBoy like this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Oh c'mon, are you kidding me? Don't be that guy.
    The guy that recognizes what they were trying to do? When you sling an AR and go protest you're doing it to make a point, to try to make non-gun people uncomfortable, and to provoke law enforcement into making your video viral. Hiding the camera (as was clearly done) just highlights that simple fact. Heck the article said the guy doesn't like police officers... I can only take him at his word.

It was a good encounter for all involved. I don't believe for a second that the people making the video had that in mind when the decided to do something that they knew would bring about a police response.
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    The guy that recognizes what they were trying to do? When you sling an AR and go protest you're doing it to make a point, to try to make non-gun people uncomfortable, and to provoke law enforcement into making your video viral. Hiding the camera (as was clearly done) just highlights that simple fact. Heck the article said the guy doesn't like police officers... I can only take him at his word.

It was a good encounter for all involved. I don't believe for a second that the people making the video had that in mind when the decided to do something that they knew would bring about a police response.
    Just because you do something that is legal, yet you know it very well could bring about a police response does not mean you are doing it to bring about a police response. And to cover my own butt, I certainly would make sure any correspondence between my self and a police officer was at least being voice recorded.

You said the camera was clearly hidden. What makes you think that so clearly?
    ccw9mm likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

If the video takers' motives are what you are assuming, why did they publish the video? would'nt they have just erased it like it never happened? Seems to me you're the one with a chip on their shoulder.

First, the author is not in the video. Second, that's not what he wrote. “I am usually critical of police these days. But I’m not ‘anti-police.’ Just like I’m not anti-congressman or anti-senator or even anti-president. But let’s face it. Most people today who occupy those positions are corrupt individuals. They exert far more power than their constitutional authority allows,” Hodges wrote. A person can be critical of someone they care for and respect - or have you never disagreed with a family member before?

What the guy in the vid said about the deputy was “This man is a hero.... I think I can speak for everyone in the group that it was an honor to meet this man. This is what we need to see from police officers everywhere! ” Doesn't sound at all like he "doesn't like police officers".

There is documented evidence of OC'ers being harassed and arrested; no one knows what kind of attitude an LEO is going to bring to the party; it only makes sense to prepare for the worst to protect oneself. Why is it ok for LEO's to record events, but not citizens? LEO's videos have been "lost" in the past. The deputy didn't have any problems with the camera phones, why should you? I bet the video does go viral, b/c of the deputy, but not for the reasons you believe. In a court, if it comes down to a citizen's word against a LEO's word - who loses? That's reason enough to record everything.

Most lessons in life are uncomfortable - at least the important ones; you either work to understand them or there is physical discomfort - this is one of those important ones. Simply talking since before the 1934 GCA has resulted in a slow and constant erosion of our rights and an expansion of ignorance by the general public.

Finally, with what's being done to this country by those in power it's completely understandable for the author to have this outlook - at least half are openly trying to take away rights and/or enforce unconstitutional laws and many LEO's make up laws as they go.

VIP Member
    They published the video because they have integrity and they believed the experience was favorable. What happened is exactly what they believe should have happened (and I agree with them) and they were honest enough to do exactly what would have happened if they got the reaction they were looking for. I'm not saying the people in the video are bad guys (though some things said in the video leaves me thinking they are somewhat foolish, but that's political and not the point of discussion). But you're deceiving yourself intentionally if you believe they weren't looking for confrontation.
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

No, he was most likely covering the camera in some fashion in an attempt to protect it from the rain...you know the rain they mentioned several times in the video...the rain you heard all throughout the video...Good thing we have a video we can reference to find out if it was in fact raining instead of relying on someone's word claiming that it was raining at the time of the encounter with the police officer...Good thing we have videos we can review showing the good encounters and the not so good encounters.

Wouldn't it be nice if there were more videos showing the good encounters?
    nedrgr21 likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links