Fed money for armed security in schools

This is a discussion on Fed money for armed security in schools within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Obama administration to allocate $45M for cops in schools | Fox News I believe that we need armed security for our schools but I don't ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Fed money for armed security in schools

Fed money for armed security in schools

Obama administration to allocate $45M for cops in schools | Fox News

I believe that we need armed security for our schools but I don't like the Feds providing the funding. The Feds have a history of holding funding over our heads. Common Core is an example of that.

2. Remove Ads

$45,000,000.
    98,000+ public schools (K-12) in the USA (not counting private and post-secondary schools).
    ~ $450/school.
    ~ $0.30/hr for one armed guard working 1500hrs duty at a school per year.

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    $45,000,000.
    98,000+ public schools (K-12) in the USA (not counting private and post-secondary schools).
    ~ $450/school.
    ~ $0.30/hr for one armed guard working 1500hrs duty at a school per year.

You're forgetting uniforms guns and ammo for training....what a joke.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

When NRA said we needed more armed folks in schools, I "ran the numbers" much like Ccw (above) did.

Prohibitively expensive.

I do find it interesting that the administration is doing this. In this way, they can say "we tried it your way, we even funded it, and it didn't work! WE MUST BAN GUNS, it is the only thing that will stop the murder of innocents."

If another Sandy Hook occurs, mark my words... That is what they will say.

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    Aceoky likes this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Quote Originally Posted by NECCdude View Post
    Obama administration to allocate $45M for cops in schools | Fox News

I believe that we need armed security for our schools but I don't like the Feds providing the funding. The Feds have a history of holding funding over our heads. Common Core is an example of that.
    100% agree on keepin g the fed out of this. not just for money reasons but rules and regs need to be set locally. name something the feds havnt screwed up. There is no reason that responsable teachers and admin staff couldnt do this, and if they arent responsible enough, do we really want them teaching our children anyway? Jim
    1911 responds much quicker than 911

We can't afford it?

Humbug!!! There is so much slop in virtually every school budget you could finance a team!

The schools (remember, it's for the children) have been spending more and more with consistently poorer results.

Balderdash! Get rid of the unions and the half of the Administrators that is DOA, and close the Department of Education! That'll pay for the guards!

Senior Moderator
    The United States does not lack for money. What it does lack is the leadership to get the money to the right spot. It's all about priority's and schools are at the bottom of the list.

We can send billions of aid to known terrorist organizations around the world or funnel billions to countries that hate us, but we don't have the money to take care of our own?

Anyone that believes that is guilty of ingesting the BS that the news media dishes out on a daily basis.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    We can't afford it?

Humbug!!! There is so much slop in virtually every school budget you could finance a team!

The schools (remember, it's for the children) have been spending more and more with consistently poorer results.

Balderdash! Get rid of the unions and the half of the Administrators that is DOA, and close the Department of Education! That'll pay for the guards!
    I don't know about Colorado, but in Minnesota, the budgets have been getting cuts for years, to the point where there is no fat left, and in many cases, they have to cut meat-you know, like sports or music or arts or increased class sizes. To help the state balance its' budget, the state would approve school budgets and "borrow" the money from the schools, forcing local systems to levy to maintain some kind of system.
    It seems that the more the Feds try to run education, the worse the results. Unemployment and poverty seem to have negative impacts on learning also.

The Answer Sheet - The real effect of teachers union contracts
    If anything, it seems that the presence of teacher contracts in a state has a positive effect on achievement.

Now, some may object to this conclusion. They might argue that I can’t possibly say that teacher contracts alone caused the higher scores in these states. They might say that there are dozens of other observed and unobserved factors that influence achievement, such as state laws, lack of resources, income, parents’ education, and curriculum, and that these factors are responsible for the lower scores in the 10 non-contract states.

My response: Exactly.

-0-
    -0-
    HotGuns likes this.

VIP Member
    From my perspective, from where I live:

Might be difficult to arm city teachers since "the gun culture" doesn't seem to be as strong in the big cities (we are NOT talking about places like Chicago and Detroit where what exists is a "criminal culture"), but in the rural and semi rural areas, particularly in the South, most people know how to shoot already. All teachers in our areas need is a special course to make sure they are prepared to shoot and kill to defend the lives of the youngsters they have chosen to help raise.

City Schools - might have to hire some rent-a-cops or some such.

Feds - NO.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

In any state I have to believe they could get ccp holders to voluntarily guard our schools. Even easier would be to require a couple of teachers to get their permits and carry. Either is FAR better than sticking the fed into things. Criminey, this administration wouldn't even provide more marines to protect an embassy in spite of their asking for more protection. Now we expect them to protect kids in every city in every state in the country?? C'mon, get serious about a solution.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Agreed, Keep the Feds Out!! They can mess-up anything up.
    I am retired LE and my wife is a retired School Admin. We pay the extra so our grand-kids can attend a school that is armed.
    The local PD just spends a LOT of time on the 1st and 2nd shift at all the schools, so they are fairly 'HARD' targets.
    Also, 98% of the schools in the State have removed the "Gun-Free-Zone" signs and school Supers can allow CPLs, armed staff, etc., as they wish, State law allows parents/guardians to have a sidearm in MVs whenever they go to the school.

Our State made the School Gun Laws and our tax dollars will easily support our schools' security.
    If we take fed $, it will only give feds a say in the matter.... Fat Chance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougb View Post
    I don't know about Colorado, but in Minnesota, the budgets have been getting cuts for years, to the point where there is no fat left, and in many cases, they have to cut meat-you know, like sports or music or arts or increased class sizes. To help the state balance its' budget, the state would approve school budgets and "borrow" the money from the schools, forcing local systems to levy to maintain some kind of system.
    It seems that the more the Feds try to run education, the worse the results. Unemployment and poverty seem to have negative impacts on learning also.

The Answer Sheet - The real effect of teachers union contracts

-0-
    And yet every year, somewhere in Minnesota, they build new, gigantic, state-of-the-art buildings and call them schools...

There's plenty of flab to cut. They cut meat because they want the parents to notice it, so they'll keep voting for every new levy. It's manipulation at best, extortion at worst. And to school districts, security for the students is far less important than new iPads, theatres, murals and sports arenas. There's no PRESTIGE in safety.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Go to the Cato Institute site and read Cracking the Books, then we can discuss school finance.

Read about Douglas County, Colorado and we can discuss unions.

The changes needed in our schools will not be supported by unions.

We have plenty of money for good school security, but as HG's says, we lack the leaders with the will.
    packinnova, Aceoky and atctimmy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You're forgetting uniforms guns and ammo for training....what a joke.
    Nah. Those come out of the trainees' pockets. "No money" for that sort of stuff.

Perhaps they can take the Way Of The Mall: post unarmed, fairly untrained "guards." Every battle's won before it's ever fought. Sun Tzu would be proud.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    The Palm Beach County Florida school system has had their own certified police department since 1972 that was approved by the voters and is funded by the taxpayers of Palm Beach County, not the state or the federal government.

Our system works, we don't need another, sure to fail, program forced on us by the federal government.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links