Top secret security clearance

This is a discussion on Top secret security clearance within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know some of you guys on here have or have held TS clearance. I have never had one of any type. I am trying ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I know some of you guys on here have or have held TS clearance. I have never had one of any type. I am trying to get a job with FEMA and am wondering what a background check for that type of clearance entails. I don't have a criminal background of any type and am a fairly good person???
    Thanks for your insight!

Most likely you will not need a high level clearance to work for FEMA.
    (anything is possible though?)

What seems to get many people is credit, domestic violence, and applications discrepancies.

Good Luck

Lead Moderator
    It depends on the type of clearance, TS is a level. If it's a Background Investigation (BI) some of those can take more than 6 months. Also, a lot of the time it isn't so much of what you've done, but where you've been.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    I held a TS clearance with some compartmented access. Had to do the whole background packet and polygraph.

Part of it is finding out whether or not you are completely truthful about your answers. Having some some minor thing as a juvenile might not prevent getting the clearance, but not disclosing it in the packet probably would.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

TS Clearance

Thanks guys. The job is for disaster recovery at FEMA to set up comms with computer systems.
    I had a bankruptcy 2 years ago. I don't know if that will affect me or not.
    Thanks again for the replies!

Administrator
    That CombatCarry Forum Avatar of yours that you're using right now...very likely would be grounds for an outright denial.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

TS

HAHA! Couple the avatar with the fact that I live in WV.... well, I would deny me too!!

My TS/SCI just expired last month. Sad day I guess, but wasn't very much interested in contracting anyway.

On that note, the background investigation is pretty standard. They check out people that know you, family, friends, teachers, etc. Make sure you give them names of people who like you. :p

As another guy in this thread said, disclose the information. A lot of things won't stop you from getting a clearance if you're truthful about it. Hiding it and them finding out about it will!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

TS

Thanks SamIam. I guess the only thing that really worries me is the bankruptcy. I don't know if they count that or not.
    I appreciate everyone's comments! Makes me feel better.

M2
    Everybody's said it, but I'll say it too...no matter what you may think, not disclosing information will bite you on the ass!! Trust me, I've not lived a saintly life but I have had a TS/SCI for 17 years now and had a straight TS once before that for four years.

Doberguy is correct, I am not aware of FEMA having info at that level, but nowadays who knows. Usually SCI clearances are for certain types of intelligence (signals, human, satellite, etc). Most of that stuff is used by the military, I don't see why FEMA would want and/or need access. I suspect you are just being considered for a background investigation, my neighbor who is a nurse just got a contract job at the USAF hospital here and she went through the process. Not as in-depth as a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI), which is needed for a TS clearance; probably just a National and Local Agency Check.

This web site is for military clearances, but it is mainly the same thing. It might be worth reading...

Cheers! M2

M2
    This is another good web site for info on security clearances.

Cheers! M2

Thanks, M2. That's some good info. I don't know why they say TS, but maybe it's because of the computer systems that I would set up at disaster sites. That's all I can think. Maybe some sensitive info on the wire.

Quote Originally Posted by pakheat View Post
    Thanks SamIam. I guess the only thing that really worries me is the bankruptcy. I don't know if they count that or not.
    I appreciate everyone's comments! Makes me feel better.
    Financial problems can hurt you because they view you as more likely to sell secrets. However, if it was a decent amount of time ago and you have been doing very good since then I imagine that will be okay. I've known a couple guys that had their clearances suspended because of financial reasons and it was because of massive debt. Never known/heard of anyone that had problems because of a bankruptcy.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I used to do BI investigations so be prepared to be put under a microscope. Applying for a federal job is going to require a minimum of a 5 year background check. A secret will be more detailed usually involving 5 to 10 years depending on agency requirments. A TS will go a minimum of 10, sometimes back to birth, again depending on access levels and will require interviews with neighbors, employers, teachers, a credit check, local agency and NCIC checks. Initially, you will sit down with an agent, he/she will review your paperwork and this is the time to lay it all out if there are any "skeletons" in your closet, in other words be completely up-front and honest. The credit check is one area where a lot of folks have problems so if this is the case, offer an explanation as they look at this as an indicator of trustworthiness. Your immediate family will also be under scrutiny and you could possibly be asked to submit to a polygraph. I retired in 1988 so I have been out of the picture for awhile but if anything I'm sure that the BI is more extensive now than it was.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    On that note, the background investigation is pretty standard. They check out people that know you, family, friends, teachers, etc. Make sure you give them names of people who like you.
    Well when I got my SBI years ago they asked the people I sent them too for further references.......... Sooner or later they'll find someone you ticked off!

I had a White House clearance and my neighbor worked for NSA, DIA practically had a field office on our block between the two of us!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links