Will NOT make tht particular mistake again.....

This is a discussion on Will NOT make tht particular mistake again..... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, last night on Patrol, on a domestic call, I'm standing, wearing my level II concealed vest, with my AR locked and loaded, watching down ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Will NOT make tht particular mistake again.....

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

Angry Will NOT make tht particular mistake again.....

So, last night on Patrol, on a domestic call, I'm standing, wearing my level II concealed vest, with my AR locked and loaded, watching down a dark alley for a perp who we know is drunk, in his residence, has an AR and has threatened to kill any cop who shows up.

I'm thinking about my Level IV vest which is sitting in my POV back at the Department. Earlier in the night, loading out the Patrol vehicle, I had my Ballistic vest in hand and then thought "Nah, I won't need this tonight....." Duh!!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Yup... In Iraq my vest weighed close to 70 pounds with plates, IFAK, ammo, knife, and bayonet. Still wore it as the alternative is far worse than the discomfort. Glad everything worked out ok for you. God bless and stay safe!

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    And this is the reason many of us carry, it is always better to have it and not need it, than not have it and need it.
    dV8r likes this.

Lol. Thats a bit like going somewhere only to say to yourself, "Dayum! I should have brought a bigger gun". Been there.
    Aceoky likes this.

Glad your OK. Survival is a great teacher. God Bess and keep your powder dry!

Trouble doesn't make an appointment...............wear it and be safe.
    Aceoky likes this.

Okay, okay, you made a mistake, but..."you're watching down a dark alley...:

Ya' gotta' finnish the story.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Recon1342 View Post
    Yup... In Iraq my vest weighed close to 70 pounds with plates, IFAK, ammo, knife, and bayonet. Still wore it as the alternative is far worse than the discomfort. Glad everything worked out ok for you. God bless and stay safe!
    I'm willing to bet it was more you were forced to wear it. With all my saw
    Drums strapped on I moved about as fast as the speed of smell. Trying to sleep with that beast on your chest takes a lot of getting used to.

OP: how's that saying go? You never have it when you need it. Bet you had decent cover though.

I noticed your monicker 'Chaplain' and am curious as to whether you were there as 'comforting' support or as a primary?

It actually ended quietly--or rather it was postponed.

The Perp lives in a different house about 40 yds away from his wife's house (don't ask, I don't have any answers).....

Rather than engage in a literal firefight, the local Chief decided to evacuate the family and let the perp sleep it off and get him in the morning when he's sober.

At the time however, we didn't know if he was going to come back to his wife's house or not--an interesting time
    64zebra likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    I'm willing to bet it was more you were forced to wear it. With all my saw
    Drums strapped on I moved about as fast as the speed of smell. Trying to sleep with that beast on your chest takes a lot of getting used to.

OP: how's that saying go? You never have it when you need it. Bet you had decent cover though.
    "Speed of smell" I haven't heard that before, but its hilarious--that's about the speed at which I "run" these days. The "cover" was questionable (I was thinking about how that kind of sucked as well)---my senior partner took the unit to cover from a different direction.
    031131, 64zebra and Aceoky like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by kaikane0812 View Post
    I noticed your monicker 'Chaplain' and am curious as to whether you were there as 'comforting' support or as a primary?
    I was there as a sworn Law Enforcement. My on-screen title comes from most of my Army career and current part-time job
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

- Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    "Life is an excellent teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students”

Glad it did not get you last night.
    64zebra likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    "Life is an excellent teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students”

Glad it did not get you last night.
    Thanks oneshot!! Look at post #10 (I think)
    Aceoky likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    So, last night on Patrol, on a domestic call, I'm standing, wearing my level II concealed vest, with my AR locked and loaded, watching down a dark alley for a perp who we know is drunk, in his residence, has an AR and has threatened to kill any cop who shows up.

I'm thinking about my Level IV vest which is sitting in my POV back at the Department. Earlier in the night, loading out the Patrol vehicle, I had my Ballistic vest in hand and then thought "Nah, I won't need this tonight....." Duh!!

Just a little nudge from Mr Murphy. Extatic it all worked out well... In policing as in my new career... as soon as I decide i wont need a piece of equipment.. I'll need it the first call or job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links