NICS

This is a discussion on NICS within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; NICS won't close if there is a gov't shutdown (VIDEO)...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Brent95
  • 1 Post By sigs
  • 1 Post By HotGuns
  • 2 Post By Easy8
  • 3 Post By A1C Lickey

Thread: NICS

CIBMike likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I think we will find out which government services are actually essential.
    CIBMike likes this.

Senior Moderator
    That suprises me.

As anti-gun as the White House has proved itself to be, I would have figured that'd be one of the first things to go.

Now lets see how long it takes to get an "approval", since they are basically giving you permission to own a gun.
    CIBMike likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

i love how Harry Reid says hundred of thousands of federal employees will be furloughed these as per our current administration are non essential personnel, hundred of thousands of non essential employees thats whats wrong get rid of them and save billions.
    CIBMike and Tzadik like this.

Yeah, those hundreds of thousands are people like the military postal workers, the civilians who maintain the military personnel system, etc.

When they say non-essential, they mean the government won't fall apart tomorrow if they don't show up for work. They're still jobs that are necessary for day to day living. Unfortunately it's not that simple.
    jenatron, Stevew and ElMonoDelMar like this.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Isn't there a regulation that states that NICS has a cetain amount of time to approve the sale or else the sale is supposed to go through anyway?

I seem to remember that although it is always followed. Some gunshops are weary of it.

This would be a reason not to shut NICS down in the current administration's eyes.

Senior Moderator
    3 days. If it comes back "delayed" and they don't contact you, then you can issue the gun after 3 business days.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If you have a valid CWP in SC, they don't have to call NICS. I'm shocked though, I figured that would be one of the first things to go.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    3 days. If it comes back "delayed" and they don't contact you, then you can issue the gun after 3 business days.
    so what would happen if NICS disappears and nothing comes back?
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey View Post
    Yeah, those hundreds of thousands are people like the military postal workers, the civilians who maintain the military personnel system, etc.

When they say non-essential, they mean the government won't fall apart tomorrow if they don't show up for work. They're still jobs that are necessary for day to day living. Unfortunately it's not that simple.
    Fortunately I have to correct myself. Apparently the mail (at least overseas) will not be shut down. We were misinformed, when Congress approved our pay they also approved our mail, though I'm not sure if stateside mail will have any issues.. My apologies for the mistake.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Bought a RIA A1 today. We joked that it was a temp on the line at BATFE. No worries. Beat the wife home to clean it. Pics later.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    No worrys here. It's called the "Washington Monument strategy" or the "Mount Rushmore Syndrome"
    The term was first used after George Hartzog, the seventh director of the National Park Service, closed popular national parks such as the Washington Monument and Grand Canyon National Park for two days a week in 1969. In response to complaints, Congress eventually restored the funding, and Hartzog resigned
    The strategy is used at all levels of government in an attempt to get the public to rally around popular government services they take pride in or find useful, or in this case to deny them as punishment. Closing libraries on certain days of the week or reducing days of trash pick up appears to have the same effect.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    There's no question it works. There is also no question that it takes a special kind of stupid not to have a problem with servants blackmailing their masters...unless they don't see it that way.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    If you have a valid CWP in SC, they don't have to call NICS. I'm shocked though, I figured that would be one of the first things to go.
    Same with a CHP in NC, or if you already have a PPP in hand from the sheriff, NICS check are not run.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing." - Adolf Hitler

Links