The Cost of One Terrorist Strike On US Soil

This is a discussion on The Cost of One Terrorist Strike On US Soil within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Which also happened to be the largest single terrorist event in the history of the world. We are discussing potential terrorist strikes on another thread, ...

Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree45Likes
  • 2 Post By Mike1956
  • 7 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By manolito
  • 6 Post By OldVet
  • 10 Post By sdprof
  • 10 Post By Jaeger
  • 2 Post By Chuck808
  • 3 Post By GraySkies
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By BugDude

Thread: The Cost of One Terrorist Strike On US Soil

  1. #1
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,032

    The Cost of One Terrorist Strike On US Soil

    Which also happened to be the largest single terrorist event in the history of the world. We are discussing potential terrorist strikes on another thread, and thought it might be of interest to see where we have already been from a purely economic standpoint. Here is what nineteen determined individuals were able to accomplish, armed only with box cutters, a minimal amount of training and effort, and their sense of determination, based on ten-year-old info.
    The Cost of September 11
    oakchas and Aceoky like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array oakchas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Which also happened to be the largest single terrorist event in the history of the world. We are discussing potential terrorist strikes on another thread, and thought it might be of interest to see where we have already been from a purely economic standpoint. Here is what nineteen determined individuals were able to accomplish, armed only with box cutters, a minimal amount of training and effort, and their sense of determination, based on ten-year-old info.
    The Cost of September 11
    And that doesn't even include going to Iraq as part of the "war on terror." ($3 trillion +)
    I can let Afghanistan slide... the first push anyway... And the last "minor excursion" into Pakistan was okay, too. But the rest of it? ($666 billion ~)


    I don't like the waste...
    All that said....
    It could be worse.
    __________________________________________________
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams

  4. #3
    VIP Member Array paaiyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,071
    I feel like $2 trillion is actually a pretty far-off underestimate.
    My blog

    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

  5. #4
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    15,736
    The life of one service member--priceless!
    manolito, LenS, oldnfat and 4 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Array manolito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Milford California
    Posts
    1,093
    The word terrorist tells you of the cost not determined by money. When you look at how people feel and how safe they feel is directly related to how they spend money the cost is far greater than 2.4 Trillion. People no longer feel safe and when you add all the strikes up to the last bombing at the marathon you get a public that is anxious about their daily lives.

    Since 9-11 the business of selling employee ID badges has boomed. Almost every company now has a badge system with some type of controlled entrance to the work site. Electronic surveilande is in your smallest company now and still people are looking for the illusion of being safe.

    The truth is if a person is willing to die for their cause you will not stop them from killing Americans regardless of the security you put in place.

    So in my opinion the cost is not measured in money but in feeling secure in your country ,your work *-,and your home.
    LenS and msgt/ret like this.

  7. #6
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    15,736
    Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    The truth is if a person is willing to die for their cause you will not stop them from killing Americans regardless of the security you put in place.
    I'm not against helping hurry some of them along in their willingness to die for a ridiculous religious cause.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  8. #7
    Senior Member Array sdprof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Near the Black Hills of SD
    Posts
    965
    But how do you measure the cost of the loss of our privacy, the loss or limitation or harassment of our freedoms?

    What has been the added cost of DHS?

    Even if the terrorists are losing, they've won.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

    I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

  9. #8
    Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Posts
    1,920
    The best deterrent is a populous willing to defend themselves (preferably well armed) and kill the terrorists. They rely on the assumption that we're all sheep and have to call for help to oppose them. They count on us curling up in fear. If we don't cooperate and show them courage things go south for them fast.

    Never forget, the first battle of the GWOT did not occur on Afghan soil. It happened on UA Flight 93 over Pennsylvania. Average Joe American made the decision not to go gently into the night, but to rage against the dying of the light. In doing so those heroes showed these 7th century barbarians, the rest of us, and the world what true courage looks like.

    We know:
    Tom Burnett, Todd Beamer, Mark Bingham, Joseph DeLuca, and many others figured out what was going on by talking in fits and starts with their families on their cell phones. They realized what was happening, and quickly made a plan. They actually had a vote! They voted to attack. Unarmed and at the mercy of armed attackers who claimed they had a bomb they elected, as a group, to attack. I find that remarkable. I cannot even recall it without tearing up. Their bravery and resolve is sometimes the only thing that gives me hope for this country; that we are not yet all sheep who will believe what were told, and do what we're commanded to do. That this country is still peopled by citizens who will not allow fear to control us means there is still hope.

    The vanguard of the American counter attack was not heavily armed and heavily supported elite units hunting terrorists in foreign mountains. It was just normal people catching a ride who were confronted by maniacs trying to kill them and hurt our country. Their resistance, using everything at their disposal, taught us all something very important about terrorism, and something very important about the necessity of bravery and taking action in the face of it.

    The heroes on that flight did not "win", in the sense that they did not survive, but they did thwart the attack that they would not have survived anyway. Our Capitol Building with all the people in it or the White House with all the people in it were spared because of their heroism, and by the official account they did almost over come the terrorists. Their actions are what took hijacking planes off Alqueda's menu, not the feckless TSA. No one with an once of sand will ever sit in their seat and do what they're told again. You may as well just blow the plane up if you actually have a bomb, because everyone on that plane becomes a draftee in the event someone tries to hijack it. That vote on Flight 93 still stands. We fight.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

  10. #9
    Senior Member Array Chuck808's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    802
    Its already been mentioned... The loss of life of Americans is a huge one. Also the lives of innocent Pakistanis, Yemenis, Afghannis, and Iraquis that were lost in drone strikes, collateral damage, and pointless violence are too many to even count. America's freedom and constitution is also another cost. We werent exactly "free" before, but ever since, all the government programs, agencies, and spying has turned us into a country more like Orwell's 1984.

    The monetary cost is a small, and honestly mostly meaningless issue as opposed to the life, liberty and justice for all, or lack thereof.
    NONAME762 and suntzu like this.

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Array GraySkies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    and still people are looking for the illusion of being safe.
    Agreed, although I think in today's society it would be more correct to say "feeling" safe. You are absolutely right that it is an illusion.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    because everyone on that plane becomes a draftee in the event someone tries to hijack it. That vote on Flight 93 still stands. We fight.
    A citizen militia that can take up arms against our enemies at a moments notice? What a novel and REVOLUTIONARY idea!!!
    NONAME762, OldVet and 10thmtn like this.
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

    "While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

  12. #11
    VIP Member
    Array msgt/ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,079
    Then there are the continuing costs, creating whole new bureaucracies such as the DHS and the TSA. Then there is the Patriot Act and the surveillance that goes with it plus the militarization of police forces. Even without doing anything the terrorists are winning.
    manolito likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

  13. #12
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    The best deterrent is a populous willing to defend themselves (preferably well armed) and kill the terrorists. They rely on the assumption that we're all sheep and have to call for help to oppose them. They count on us curling up in fear. If we don't cooperate and show them courage things go south for them fast.

    Never forget, the first battle of the GWOT did not occur on Afghan soil. It happened on UA Flight 93 over Pennsylvania. Average Joe American made the decision not to go gently into the night, but to rage against the dying of the light. In doing so those heroes showed these 7th century barbarians, the rest of us, and the world what true courage looks like.

    We know:
    Tom Burnett, Todd Beamer, Mark Bingham, Joseph DeLuca, and many others figured out what was going on by talking in fits and starts with their families on their cell phones. They realized what was happening, and quickly made a plan. They actually had a vote! They voted to attack. Unarmed and at the mercy of armed attackers who claimed they had a bomb they elected, as a group, to attack. I find that remarkable. I cannot even recall it without tearing up. Their bravery and resolve is sometimes the only thing that gives me hope for this country; that we are not yet all sheep who will believe what were told, and do what we're commanded to do. That this country is still peopled by citizens who will not allow fear to control us means there is still hope.

    The vanguard of the American counter attack was not heavily armed and heavily supported elite units hunting terrorists in foreign mountains. It was just normal people catching a ride who were confronted by maniacs trying to kill them and hurt our country. Their resistance, using everything at their disposal, taught us all something very important about terrorism, and something very important about the necessity of bravery and taking action in the face of it.

    The heroes on that flight did not "win", in the sense that they did not survive, but they did thwart the attack that they would not have survived anyway. Our Capitol Building with all the people in it or the White House with all the people in it were spared because of their heroism, and by the official account they did almost over come the terrorists. Their actions are what took hijacking planes off Alqueda's menu, not the feckless TSA. No one with an once of sand will ever sit in their seat and do what they're told again. You may as well just blow the plane up if you actually have a bomb, because everyone on that plane becomes a draftee in the event someone tries to hijack it. That vote on Flight 93 still stands. We fight.
    There are entirely too many heroes from that day and those subsequent to list each and every one, but here are the ones who were on that particular flight:
    Flight 93 - Passengers & Crew - Names and Profiles of the 40 Heroes of United Flight 93
    surefire7 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  14. #13
    VIP Member Array BugDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Gulf Coast of Florida
    Posts
    9,315
    They accomplished their goal, which was to instill fear across the board and consume vast amounts of financial resources taking attention and funds away from other things. They got in our heads and our wallets. They also consumed a vast amounts of our freedoms with the govt over-reaches that resulted for National Security...that was an unexpected bonus for them, much to our detriment.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.


    Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

  15. #14
    Senior Member Array Chuck808's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    802
    I really dont think they know how much of a lasting effect on the history of the Western world their actions will have.

  16. #15
    VIP Member Array NONAME762's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    About 235M out of The Palouse WA
    Posts
    6,900

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    But how do you measure the cost of the loss of our privacy, the loss or limitation or harassment of our freedoms?

    What has been the added cost of DHS?

    Even if the terrorists are losing, they've won.
    EXACTLY. Since 911 America as a free country has pretty much gone right out the window. Patriot Act 1. Patriot Act 2. NDAA. NSA spying on 300Million of us. Drones over Main Street America. Militarized LEO. Feinswine-Bloomy-Schumer-Hillary-Obummer.

    Everywhere I look in the small town I live in I see surveillance camera's on the freeway, or the intersection at Riverside and College Way. Gun Buster signs at the 2 year college down the road. Surveillance camera's don't make me feel safe. They make me feel like I'm a criminal when I KNOW I AM NOT.

    Whenever I'm walking up to a store entrance and I notice the sign that says 'These premises are under video surveillance for Your Safety' I sneer and chuckle. I sneer cuz it's BOGUS. I chuckle as I feel the weight of the gun or the 2 guns I have in my pockets.

    My safety is and always has been My Responsibility. NOT THE GOVERNMENT'S RESPONSIBILITY!!! TBT if I think about it too much I feel like I got a big fat Bullseye across my back whether it's the Anti's that want my guns or the Govmint that wants to throw me into a detention camp just because I don't buy the sheepdip they're spewing 24/7 on the news.

    Right or wrong sometimes I give the stink eye to people who look like an Arab or an Achmed. I give the same gnarly eyeball look to the hood rats when their hoodie is pulled over their head when it's 85 degrees out.

    What's been the cost of DHS to America?? That's pretty simple really. DHS has given the USA no ammo at the stores where it once was plentiful along with Checkpoints manned by SS and Gestapo.

    Jaeger in post#8 has the right idea. I read his post while I was writing my post and I agree with him. I wish my brain worked like his and I could express myself like he can. Surprised myself when I figured out GWOT=Govt War On Terrorism in less than 3 minutes. HUA

    I gotta make something to eat. I wish I could make my eggs over EZ. I always break the yolk and end up with scrambled or a sloppy omelet. I'm pretty set in my ways and no spring chicken but if it ain't eggs I cook pretty well for a guy and I still got all my hair. I got a big heart fulla love 4 the right gal if she ever knocks on my door. <---WTH did that come from??
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •