Do I deserve a Military Memorial Service when I die?

This is a discussion on Do I deserve a Military Memorial Service when I die? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My Uncle Sid served in the Navy on tin cans in WWII. He died about 4 years ago. At his funeral his daughter had made ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree368Likes

Thread: Do I deserve a Military Memorial Service when I die?

Do I deserve a Military Memorial Service when I die?

My Uncle Sid served in the Navy on tin cans in WWII. He died about 4 years ago. At his funeral his daughter had made arrangements for him to have a military Honor Guard with volley rifle fire (forgive me I don't know the right words) and Sheila was presented with a folded up American Flag. Of all the funerals I've ever been to this aspect of Uncle Sid's Memorial Service was the best and it really hit me where I live.

So here's my dilemma. I was in the Service during the tail end of the Viet Nam War. I never went to Nam. All I really did was give missile crews and air crews physicals and IM shots and stuff like that at the Flight Surgeons Clinic at a SAC base in Kansas.

All the years since I got out I never really felt like a Vet cuz I did my time in Texas and Kansas. I was a dumb kid when I went in and I was barely any smarter when I got out. Plus in my extended family I'm the black sheep. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but when the military aspect of Uncle Sid's memorial service started it was just so cool and made me really proud and if it's possible to enjoy a funeral then I really enjoyed this one.

So what I'm asking the Vets is this. When I go I've been thinking I'd like to have the same type of service as my uncle did. The only part that bothers me is it would be my Sister getting the Flag. And like I said I really didn't do much and do I even deserve the same treatment as all who've gone before me?
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Vets are Vets, and I personally see no difference between a cook and an infantry man (We all have to eat). Sometimes your military occupation is not your choice. You do the time, you deserve the honors. (Needle pushers exempted, of course!)

With the cutbacks in recent years, full-military honors are more difficult to get. I served on several funeral details in my day, but many are performed by American Legion and DAV members now. Contact the VA and local AL/DAV chapters as they will most likely have up-to-date info.
    WHEC724, warbirds, DJC7 and 26 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I won't begin to tell you what YOU deserve, but I served in the Marine Corps for 3 years. I received an early discharge because of a back injury, and I never actually served in Afghanistan like my unit did twice. I sat behind a desk for nearly my entire time in. Most of the Marines I served with were in Afghanistan twice, some are still in and about to deploy again, some were KIA, and some were wounded and received medals for honorable action under fire.

The last thing I feel I deserve is military honors for sitting behind a desk in California, when Marines that I served with actually served and sacrificed.
    atctimmy, UrsusMedius and Czombie like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

I agree with OldVet. If you served your country you deserve a military funeral.

Administrator
    You served. Uncle Sam chose how.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member

Thumbs up

I'm declining mine, so there you go - you can have it.

Seriously, you're a vet, you can have the service.

Thanks guys. I picked up a pamphlet at my uncles service that explains how it all works. All my Sister needs is a copy of my 214 to get the ball rolling. The next time I go see her I'll make sure she gets one.

That was about the hardest post I ever put in here.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

You earned it.
    OldVet, JDE101, USM1976 and 8 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Noname762 & Pittypat:

When you raised your hand and swore to defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic--you handed your life over to Uncle Sam. Regardless of whether you ever heard a bullet shot in anger or not, YOU raised your hand, YOU put yourself out there, willing to SERVE our country regardless of what came. As an old saying goes: You signed a "blank check" with your very life on the amount line. Yes, there are others who have served in places that are ugly, dirty and deadly. Does a Vet with say, 12 months in Afghanistan have to hang his/her head in shame when they compare themselves to guys in WWII where they went YEARS in combat theaters??

You volunteered, you served. Uncle Sam said "go here"--you went "there". Uncle Sam said "Do this"--you did that. So don't hang your head in shame. You are Veterans who proudly served. In 2006 (I think that was the year) Congress passed a law that allowed ALL honorably discharged Vets to SALUTE the flag at events like Ball game, rodeos, etc.

STAND TALL!! HOLD YOUR HEADS UP!!!! SALUTE Old Glory when you have the opportunity. You stand in a long proud line of men and women who stepped up to the call.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

You rate a military burial. My grandfather served in the Marines from 1957-1959, all stateside, and he was given a military burial. His folded flag is displayed in my living room.
    QKShooter, BamaT, Aceoky and 3 others like this.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Vets are Vets, and I personally see no difference between a cook and an infantry man (We all have to eat). Sometimes your military occupation is not your choice. You do the time, you deserve the honors. (Needle pushers exempted, of course!)

With the cutbacks in recent years, full-military honors are more difficult to get. I served on several funeral details in my day, but many are performed by American Legion and DAV members now. Contact the VA and local AL/DAV chapters as they will most likely have up-to-date info.
    Thank heavens for that ..... I spent 30 years in the AF as a services troop, and probably the first 19 of those years were in the dining hall.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Sounds like I am going to get in trouble on this one. I hope I don't offend anyone who honorably served this country with the following opinion.

If you served this country, having a funeral with military honors is your right and a personal choice.

However

IMO Unless you served in combat and/or chose to be a lifer, I think you should think long and hard about a full blown military funeral.

My dad served 25 years. Fought in WWII, the Korean Conflict/War and served as a Military "Advisor" in the early years of the Vietnam Conflict. Earned three Bronze Stars, a couple of Purple hearts, a POW Medal (WWII) and various other medals, ,commendations, ribbons and such.

We (my sister and I) never knew about them until he was elderly (in his 80's).

He was buried with full Military Honors and rightly so.

My father-in-law (who I loved and respected) was a Marine (something in and of itself to be proud of) but basically was a clerk of some type. No combat. Served his time and then went back to being a civilian.

He also chose to be buried with military honors. Rightly or wrongly, I always kind of resented that given the difference in the degree of sacrafice between he and my dad.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

If you served in the Military, the right is yours. Don't let anyone talk you out of it..

You served in Salina at Schilling. That's enough. "Nuff said.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Hodad I do understand where you're coming from, but have to qualify, clarify and otherwise debate your point.

Who's to say whether the combat vet or the cook/clerk did more? If you start to draw those lines, then you're going to open a lot of discussion on a whole lot of other lines, and the resulting discussions will not be pretty and probably only boil up more resentment.

Every individual had personal choices to make, some of them included being available to support a family here rather than across 25 or 30 years of assignments, or other reasons for having to leave the military and through no fault of their own not having the opportunity to point a weapon at an enemy and pulling the trigger. So I'm just not comfortable with trying to draw those lines.

As for me, I declined my retirement ceremony for exactly the reasons you stated above: I didn't feel I really needed that relative to some guys that really did and really deserved it. I won't have a full ceremony military burial either, but I would like to be planted in a national cemetary. But those are my choices, and I'm really not comfortable deciding for others their choice. If you served, you deserve it.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links