Profiling Israeli-style a solution to reducing incidence of "mass" killings?

This is a discussion on Profiling Israeli-style a solution to reducing incidence of "mass" killings? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Could mass shootings in America be prevented by Israel-style profiling? At least two Israeli security experts, both of whom formerly patrolled Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Profiling Israeli-style a solution to reducing incidence of "mass" killings?

Profiling Israeli-style a solution to reducing incidence of "mass" killings?

Could mass shootings in America be prevented by Israel-style profiling?

At least two Israeli security experts, both of whom formerly patrolled Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion Airport and now work as security consultants in the U.S., said the key point of intervention may lie in the moments leading up to the crime.

... said this type of attack could possibly be prevented using Israel-style security measures, which take a more intensive and personalized approach to spotting potential attackers in public spaces.

<snip>

Interesting article.

Some other write-ups ...
    Last edited by ccw9mm; November 8th, 2013 at 05:55 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Touchy? Yes, but it works...

I believe that their airport security involves a number of area checks prior to any 'final' TSA check like we have. They weed out the BG's quickly, and have been quite successful. I'm sure that there are many members here who could describe how it works.

We check old ladies in wheelchairs and the diapers of 2 year olds, but the the Somali Terrorists with huge bulges under their garments are allowed to pass to be PC.

Some other points from the author...
    "your rights are a lot more infringed when you're exposed to violence than when you're answering security questions."

"...entering Ben Gurion Airport is like being sucked into a sterile security vacuum: I feel I'm being watched and studied from every angle before I even reach the front door. And once inside, if I even look at the flight board funny, a uniformed official will come up and start asking questions."
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Mr RetSupt said it pretty well. Quite a long time ago I read an article about Israeli airport security. The main thing I remember was their security is 'layered'. They use uniformed troops as well as plainclothes personnel and it seems to be working since there has not been one deadly incident since the big one at Ben Gurion Airport some 40 (I believe) years ago.

Plus unlike America their concern lies in true security and NOT political correctness.
    gatorbait51, Hoganbeg and mook012 like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Very interesting. I work in hospital security and on several instances i've taken weapons off people, both guns and knives, without any trouble. However, the shady ones, of all races, are who you need to look out for. Yet, the focus remains on the weapons themselves. Personally, if i see someone acting like their casing the place, i would pay much more attention to them then say, a father bringing his sick child in who happens to be OC'ing. As far as security on a large scale goes, like an airport, i'm not sure how well that system would fly here in the states. It may or may not work out.
    StormRhydr and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Israeli profiling has been effective on its airline service (to date), not so effective on the streets and other public places.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

One of the big reasons it works is the culture they live in everyday. I do not mean religious or ethnic culture I mean the culture of awareness. The whole population is aware of their surroundings an anything out of the norm. When anyone draws attention to themselves most people around them are watching them this leads the security teams to potential problems faster.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

No kiddin' Easy8. I was surfin the Net awhile back and wound up on several Israeli sites and noticed 2 pretty big things.
    Israeli women are gorgeous and

Gorgeous women are smokin' Hot when OCing full auto MBRs and SMGs.

About 2 minutes later my poor ole brain seized up and that's all she wrote...

HUA

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    One of the big reasons it works is the culture they live in everyday. I do not mean religious or ethnic culture I mean the culture of awareness. The whole population is aware of their surroundings an anything out of the norm. When anyone draws attention to themselves most people around them are watching them this leads the security teams to potential problems faster.
    Hay Easy I heard yesterday (11-7-13) from a buddy that kinda the whole country of Israel is similar to the US before Prohibition was repealed.<--Booze - - - - -Like the entire country is DRY like some counties in Utah and Texas...say it AIN'T SO!

Have you or anyone else heard anything like that?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Israeli profiling has been effective on its airline service (to date), not so effective on the streets and other public places.
    When targets harden, those who do the targeting move on to softer ones.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Fairly simple principle. One that each and every person would do well to remember.
    gatorbait51, NECCdude and ws76133 like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    And the problem is there will always be softer ones, even in Israel.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    And the problem is there will always be softer ones, even in Israel.
    ... as well as folks who believe walking around with the head in the clouds is a solution, too. You're right, that every culture has its weak spots, no matter how hardened common places can be.

It's nice to know of some security arrangements that are known for being fairly secure, instead of known for being mere theater masquerading as security. Something to admire, at least.

PROFILING,,,, everyone knows that it works,,,,
    but illegal here.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

There are some good insights there, but I don't see such measures being adopted in US airports. For as much press as they get, mass shootings in the US are not nearly as big a problem as terrorist attacks in Israel. As tragic as they are, they're a small portion of the murder rate, and people just aren't concerned enough to put up with such intrusive security.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I think some folks here might be fans of profiling, until the guy marching through town wearing a tactical vest, combat boots and an AR-15 gets stopped by the police. "You can't stop someone just because they have a gun!"
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links