Will history repeat itself??.

This is a discussion on Will history repeat itself??. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Would this Administration go this far??,I think so. Bonus Army: US military attacks demonstrating American War Veterans - YouTube...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Will history repeat itself??.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar

Would this Administration go this far??,I think so. Bonus Army: US military attacks demonstrating American War Veterans - YouTube

I believe any administration would have done this.
    kaikane0812 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    This is a part of History that was not covered in my School History Class what a shame ................................and yes it can and will happen again .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Gun BAN! Ya right. Thanks for sharing.

We are already there, and have been for some time now.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I dont understand the question. There is no similar group of vets protesting & camping out with their families, like during the last depression, is there?

If the question is simply "Would US troops obey orders to move on US citizens?" ... They did the last time. And history from around the world tells us that many would again.

Would US Troops, or the Natl Guard fire on unarmed citizens? See Kent State.

Im not anti military, or our military. The Army has been very good to me & my family. But I am not one that would count on troops not acting against those they are ordered to act against.

And many times, its the silliest thing that sets off the fireworks. Maybe a car backfires. Maybe there is one lone nut on either side, and they crack off the first shot. It doesnt matter after that. Its on.
    WMac19, Hopyard, atctimmy and 2 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Just a matter of when.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Senior Moderator
    History does repeat itself and it will until we learn the lessons that it teaches
    mano3 and OD* like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    History definitely repeats itself and, unfortunately, so does ignorance and stupidity.
    mano3, WMac19 and kiltedcowboy like this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

VIP Member
    I think that we actually had a far more authoritarian culture in those days then we do today. Just a few things to consider.
    There was no UCMJ until after WWII. There was no GI Bill of Rights. In everyday law enforcement it was OK to shoot
    at people who committed relatively minor crimes and were fleeing. The police in that time had a free hand to beat a confession
    out of someone, and did. This was long before Miranda.

What I'm getting at is it was a tougher world, and not simply because of the depression.

Both MacArthur and Patton (who ordered the cavalry charge) would not make the grade in today's world.

In the historical record and legacies Hoover, MacArthur, and Patton have paid a heavy price for those events.

BTW, Posse Comitatus did not extend to D.C., so using the troops was lawful.

What I have always found interesting is the line up of business people and politicians who had so much disdain
    for these men and their circumstances. I think we try and do a lot better today.

Yes, they don't necessarily cover this part of history in school. The events get tangled up with a lot of hot button peripheral
    issues-- fairness for troops, fairness for workers, fear of communism, acceptance of brutality, Congressional shirking, that it is impossible to really teach this stuff anyplace but in a College level history course. It isn't just the events that need to be taught and remembered, it
    is the whole set of events, public opinion, and politics of the day, that need to be looked at.

IMO, no, it wouldn't happen today. And if it did, somehow someone would be held responsible.

Oh, for lots more take a look here -- Bonus Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    And note the following:

"During the military operation, Major Dwight D. Eisenhower, later the 34th President of the United States, served as one of MacArthur's junior aides.[16] Believing it wrong for the Army's highest-ranking officer to lead an action against fellow American war veterans, he strongly advised MacArthur against taking any public role: "I told that dumb son-of-a-***** not to go down there," he said later. "I told him it was no place for the Chief of Staff."
    Last edited by Hopyard; November 13th, 2013 at 04:56 PM. Reason: added "not" in sence "would not make the grade"
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    I don't think our military would do that to our veterans in this day and age.
    If they did, I think the rest of the country would bust loose. BUT,
    In 15-20 years? who knows.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

The Bonus Army does get taught in schools. At least in my classroom I always taught my American History students about the Bonus Army.
    tdave likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    History does repeat itself and it will until we learn the lessons that it teaches
    Smitty's Corollary to Santayana's Famous Quote: "what we learn from history is that we don't learn from history."
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    The Bonus Army does get taught in schools. At least in my classroom I always taught my American History students about the Bonus Army.
    I appreciate your effort. Thank you.
    DingBat likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

God, Country, Corps...My Sr. Drill Instructor in the Marines always said..."If the United States Government ever declares war on any of the three, then by God we will go to war with those ******** in Washington D.C!" Believed it then and now some 30 years later...just saying.
    tdave likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links