Police Departments getting major amored vehicles (MRAP)? U.N Blue, too

This is a discussion on Police Departments getting major amored vehicles (MRAP)? U.N Blue, too within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This been reported here already? What in the world do local police departments need with these? And U.N Blue to boot! SC Police Department Gets ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: Police Departments getting major amored vehicles (MRAP)? U.N Blue, too

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar

This been reported here already?

What in the world do local police departments need with these? And U.N Blue to boot!

SC Police Department Gets UN Blue Armored Vehicle that is Land Mine & IED Resistant : Freedom Outpost
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    The question, of course, is why a civilian police force needs or should have a military grade armored and armable vehicle. Such a "tool" makes the government much, much more physically powerful than American citizens, increasing the risk of abuse, and the damage to civilians when that abuse occurs.
    Yup.

In certain situations, I can see the added capabilities being highly useful. But then, IMO that's where the National Guard and proper protocols for turning them out exists. Can't imagine why any police force in any town in the country needs such firepower as turret-mounted, bomb-proof units like that, except in extraordinary situations in which other forces exist that can be brought in where appropriate. I'd much rather have the overt visibility and oversight inherent in a call-out to the NG instead of an uber-militarized SWAT unit that just begs the question about where the dividing lines are between policing and manhandling the citizens who've hired them.

After all, it's not like this is Colombia (S.Amer) ... oh, wait (Columbia, SC). The day we have roadside bombs and 18in thick concrete structures to shoot through in order to get at drug houses galore, perhaps. But even then the NG can be called in for such "heavy lifting" if absolutely needed. Until then, it's far too much, even if "only" $600K a pop.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Short answer is they dont need them.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I think "U.N. BLUE" says it all.

Stalin had the MOTHERLAND.
    Hitler had the FATHERLAND.
    We are getting the HOMELAND.

National Guard / National Police; same thing without that pesky U.S. Constitution.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Well Well, Were not alone. Alaska now has two also, But ours are not blue, olive green, armored to the hilt. Swats dream machine for only one thing! When things go bad they will be perfect for riot control? Only my guess but the way things are going find another guess. DHS another step in control..
    Ghost1958, gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.

I can't think of one good reason why Columbia, SC needs one of these.

The line between the police and the military is getting mighty blurry, IMO, and "that ain't nothin' nice."
    Ghost1958, gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

That's not UN Blue,which is more of a baby or powder blue,but they don't need an MWRAP vehicle,Civilians don't have ready access to large amounts of Military grade explosives or Artillery shells that can be turned into IED's at least not right now
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This is just another step towards ensuring that when SHTF, they can better control (by outgunning) us, the mere subjects. I'm 26 and strongly believe that we'll see a war (whether it be a civil one or invasion) on American soil in my life time.
    Last edited by blitzburgh; November 14th, 2013 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Spelling
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

"I don't like it any more than you men". I go though my day and see the signs and am troubled by what they portend. Even the sheep around me are starting to notice and the flock is beginning to stir. I'm not optimistic about the outcome but I am frequently wrong. Pray for the best but plan for the worst.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    That's not UN Blue,which is more of a baby or powder blue,but they don't need an MWRAP vehicle,Civilians don't have ready access to large amounts of Military grade explosives or Artillery shells that can be turned into IED's at least not right now
    Sure they do. It's called Home Depot and a basic High School level physical sciences knowledge. But yeah, I don't like the whole up-armoring thing going on lately either.
    blitzburgh and gatorbait51 like this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Many legitimate domestic uses for such vehicles can be found in our history. Terrorism in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

The police have had armored vehicals for quite some time now. This is just an updated version. My department had an M13 though rarely used it. As communities that used to be small and sleepy have experienced changes in demographics they may feel the need for one may arise. The Federal government always has cash grants for any department that jumps through a particular hoop. The Feds as well will supply retired military vehicals, and equipment to local departments. My department recieves a bunch of 2.5 ton trucks, and some BfJ's (3/4 ton trucks). They sat parked.... Far as I know they still are. I guess this M-Wrap could be used as an assault vehical/Swat truck. The roof mounted ma duece mounting is still there. This I find very troubling.

My department had several swat assault vehicals.. three I think for a 40,000 man department. I've been involved in one raid where it was used... It worked out fine. There vehicals are used to recover wounded people who are in the line of fire, To drive team members up close to a location they may have to enter inside the line of fire, As a platform for a sniper in some active shooter situations. It is a police tool, and has very little intimidation factor. It was a 4 wheel drive vehical sitting about two feet off the ground, It has solid rubber wheels, and there is a door in the belly so it can roll on top of a prone victim. and that victim can be pulled inside from the belly. There is a periscope through the top, the slit windows are bullet resistant, and it has equal sloped armor on all sides. Kind of looked like a small russian wheeled armored car. BRDM?, or BMP?

So if a department takes one of these m-wraps I dont have too much trouble with that.... I will worry when they start taking more than one.
    Last edited by Secret Spuk; November 15th, 2013 at 06:29 AM.
    dangerranger and gatorbait51 like this.

I don't think any of that warrants these vehicles running up and down the streets of my town totin .50 cal. Machine guns (or any other machine gun for that matter.)
    gatorbait51 likes this.

"Police" blue, not "UN" blue. Geez...

As the war in A-stan draws down, there are a bunch of surplus MRAPs out there. Might as well give them to agencies that could use them, even if very infrequently. The top gun mount will remain (no reason to spend money removing it), but there will be no weapon mounted.

Our local PD has an armored truck. Never seen it used, other than to let kids crawl over it on annual open house day.

These things need to be with local PDs. Response time is slow enough as it is - give them to the NG and it will take hours (at best) for them to deploy and arrive.

There are many legitimate uses for these, as stated - cover for officers responding to an active shooter; cover to rescue wounded officers or citizens in the line of fire; mobile shooting position for police snipers; etc.

Their high ground clearance and weight makes them useful for rescue in flood zones as well. Think outside the box, folks.

People complain about wasted tax dollars, and when we try to re-purpose surplus equipment, then people complain that the police are getting militarized. Oy vey.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Senior Moderator
    Its for the upcoming civil unrest. Lots of depts. are gunning up. There may not be a gun mounted on it now, but fear not, when its decided that its needed, they'll be one there.

Baby steps. Think baby steps. First you get used to seeing armored vehicles.
    Then you get used to see guns mounted on them for some emergency.
    Eventually your kids will think its normal seeing several of them in a convoy running down the street.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links