Dallas LEO MUST Wait 72 Hrs Before Talking After Shooting

This is a discussion on Dallas LEO MUST Wait 72 Hrs Before Talking After Shooting within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Any Dallas officer involved in a police shooting — whether the officer fired a weapon or witnessed the gunfire — will now have the right ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Dallas LEO MUST Wait 72 Hrs Before Talking After Shooting

Any Dallas officer involved in a police shooting — whether the officer fired a weapon or witnessed the gunfire — will now have the right to remain silent for 72 hours under a new department policy.

And even before they give a statement about the shooting, the officers can watch any available video before they give a statement.
    Chief David Brown quietly made major policy change less than a month after surveillance video went public in October that showed an officer shooting a mentally ill man for no apparent reason — contrary to a witnessing officer’s account that led to a felony charge against the victim.
    Dallas Police Chief David Brown quietly changes shooting investigations policy | Dallas Morning News

I'm really not sure how I feel about this. I find it odd that they're allowed to see any available video (evidence) before they give their statement. I also see this adding more fuel to the fire in a case that may already have citizens screaming cover up and whatnot. It essentially gives those who may be in the wrong the time and access to evidence that would clearly prove that and allow the opportunity to try and come up with an alternative story to try and save their hide.

I'd like to hear how you guys and gals, especially the LEO's, feel about this. Also, let's keep in mind that there's a difference between pointing out and/or citing a specific case where there was wrong doing and bashing LEO's. One's allowed and the others disrespectful and against the rules.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    I'm good with it. Adrenaline dumps distort the senses, emotions and memories significantly. Their effects can take days to diminish.
    blitzburgh, darbo, ccw9mm and 9 others like this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    What Mike said!!!! Read Dave Grossman's book On Combat for a more definitive look at the physical and mental aspects of deadly force encounters.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Oops, I forgot to include my "on the other hand" part in the OP. What you two mentioned is the plus side that I do agree with.
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I'm familiar with the effects and mental and physical toll it can take on somebody. Commentators were saying this seems a lot like special treatment as the same "luxuries" wouldn't be afforded to Joe or Jane Citizen if they were involved in an SD shoot. A judge on the panel also speculated that this policy wouldn't stand for long before a judge stepped in to challenge it. How likely do those of you more in the know than I think that is?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I'm familiar with the effects and mental and physical toll it can take on somebody. Commentators were saying this seems a lot like special treatment as the same "luxuries" wouldn't be afforded to Joe or Jane Citizen if they were involved in an SD shoot.
    It will be a luxury afforded to Mike if I am ever involved in a lethal force confrontation, even if it means spending my forty-eight hours in lock-up.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

What about being able to review the video footage before speaking though?
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    It will be a luxury afforded to Mike if I am ever involved in a lethal force confrontation, even if it means spending my forty-eight hours in lock-up.
    I'd be afforded the same luxury as well since it's my right to remain silent until I speak with my attorney. But I doubt you or I would be shown any video footage beforehand.

I don't see where this is a huge problem. After all, with all the You Tube and Facebook videos online nowadays, it is likely the general public will have access to the related videos almost immediately. I see no reason why an officer shouldn't have the same right to view related videos before making a binding statement.

As Mike1956 says, adrenaline dumps can color every viewpoint. While I realize any police statement is discoverable, I would, however like to know an officer has given an initial statement, just so the effects of adrenaline dumps can be studied more closely.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I'd be afforded the same luxury as well since it's my right to remain silent until I speak with my attorney. But I doubt you or I would be shown any video footage beforehand.
    It can't hurt to ask.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Ayn Rand

As long as the same things are offered to the general public, I have no problem with it. Which means that as the officers arriving first on the scene let the citizen know they are not expected to give a statement until all the available video tapes that may be available have been viewed by the shooter.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm good with it. Adrenaline dumps distort the senses, emotions and memories significantly. Their effects can take days to diminish.
    ^ Exactly. While some can nail down impressions right away, it can also distort. Far better to let the "chemical dump" and memory impacts subside, before trying to make sense of things. I'm all for seeing videos of an event, to help anchor things in reality (timeline, etc).
    HotGuns, gatorbait51 and Qtip like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    As long as the same things are offered to the general public, I have no problem with it. Which means that as the officers arriving first on the scene let the citizen know they are not expected to give a statement until all the available video tapes that may be available have been viewed by the shooter.
    As armed citizens, it is incumbent on us to know these things beforehand, rather than relying upon the knowledge and good will of those responding.
    gatorbait51 and Ghost1958 like this.
    Ayn Rand

Senior Moderator
    Things are trending that way. I have read several articles about this very thing from various sources and I believe this thinking does comes from Grossmans "On Combat".
    They are finding that the information given is much more accurate after a couple day "cool off" period and that the recovery time from the mental trauma that is associated from killing someone is less, so its a much better situation all around.
    Since that seems to be the case, why not?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Not sure I agree with reviewing evidence before making a statement as it just makes it easier to concoct a story.

I don't have a problem with an optional or even mandatory time out before making a statement.

I think the rules need to be the same for everyone, regardless of profession.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links