Oath Keepers?

Oath Keepers?

This is a discussion on Oath Keepers? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In my surfing about prepping I ran across an organization called Oath Keepers which claims to be made up of like minded citizens who had ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Oath Keepers?

Oath Keepers?

In my surfing about prepping I ran across an organization called Oath Keepers which claims to be made up of like minded citizens who had taken an Oath to protect and serve the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic. It sites typical members like retired LEO, FF, EMS and Military.

Does anyone know anything about the Oath Keepers that can help me decide whether they may be a vroup I would like to join or avoid?

Any info would be helpful. Trying to determine if they are legit and accepted by LE or if the are the type of group I dont want to be associated with for legal reasons.

If you have feedback you want to keep private just PM me.

Thanx

I am an "Associate Member", I strongly believe in their stated mission. As someone with no LEO or Military background, I never actually swore an oath to defend the constitution, so I have to be an Associate Member. Watch some videos of Stewart Rhodes, and feel if you agree with how he sees it.

My misgiving about their stated position is that they appear to abrogate to themselves the power of the courts to determine the constitutionality of the laws. They give the strong impression that if they disagree with a court decision they will refuse to obey it.

Of course, having taken an oath that requires them to do so, there appears to be an inherent contradiction there. I'm not familiar enough with them to have a solid opinion, but that is my misgiving right now.

USM C-4

From the Hub City of the South

============================
    "Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull." - Arya Stark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    =
    "The six-shooter loaded with deadly cartridges is a dangerous companion for any man, especially if he should unfortunately be primed with whiskey." - Texas Live Stock Journal, June 5, 1884
    "Leave Your Revolvers At Police Headquarters and Get a Check." - Sign outside Wichita, 1873.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    I swore my oath to the Constitution when I joined the military and I still hold that oath true today. I don't need to join an organization to keep my oath or have them tell me how to follow that oath. That is for me to decide.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    I swore my oath to the Constitution when I joined the military and I still hold that oath true today. I don't need to join an organization to keep my oath or have them tell me how to follow that oath. That is for me to decide.
    +1 to this.
    mano3 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

A person I know claims he is an "Oath Keeper". I asked him what he would do with his firearms if their was an amendment to the Constitution that voided the 2A with a new one that stated that only the Armed Services and LEO can have weapons and that the only weapons allowed for private use wold be bolt action rifles for hunting.

I think he had a brain hemmorage trying to figure out an answer. He said he would not follow it since it is not legal. I said that it would have been changed under the guidlines set forth in the Constitution.

He said he would not obey it then. I then asked if the Oath Keepers would have to change their mission statement.
    brocktice, Hopyard and Phaedrus like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array CIBMike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    Agreed .I made good on my oath for twenty years.I think attempting to re-affirm it at this point by joining a group would be kind of silly.
    Phaedrus likes this.
    The easy way is always mined.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I've never heard anything good about the Oathkeepers. Sounds like a fringe organization.
    Hopyard, bigmacque and Phaedrus like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by chandlerusm View Post
    My misgiving about their stated position is that they appear to abrogate to themselves the power of the courts to determine the constitutionality of the laws. They give the strong impression that if they disagree with a court decision they will refuse to obey it.

Of course, having taken an oath that requires them to do so, there appears to be an inherent contradiction there. I'm not familiar enough with them to have a solid opinion, but that is my misgiving right now.

USM C-4
    I don't understand what you think is an inherent contradiction. The courts are not the supreme law of the land- the people are. The presumption is that orders are legal unless they are deemed not to be- that is the safeguard.

To the general point, individuals will be held accountable for illegally following illegal orders therefore individuals must choose for themselves if the orders they receive are illegal and should be disobeyed or if they are legal and should be obeyed. The legal defense of "I was just following orders" hasn't worked in this country since 1799, however, refusing to obey orders courts find legal comes with consequences (sometimes a death sentence).

The Oath Keepers seeks to clarify a basic list of what orders must not be followed due to their unconstitutional nature and to spread that message to everyone that took an Oath to Support and Defend the Constitution.

I am not a member but have looked at them a couple of times.

Sponsor
    I also took an oath when I joined the military "while serving" Uncle Sam. Once out, that oath was null and void IMO. The oath was for "while you served", whether you agreed with some of current laws or not.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 19Kvet View Post
    I don't understand what you think is an inherent contradiction. The courts are not the supreme law of the land- the people are. The presumption is that orders are legal unless they are deemed not to be- that is the safeguard.
    That is not what our Constitution says. What you are talking about is a Democracy, not a Constitutional Representative Republic. The majority doesn't rule here, the Constitution does. One of the most important functions of the Constitution is not to enforce the will of the majority but to protect the minority.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    I also took an oath when I joined the military "while serving" Uncle Sam. Once out, that oath was null and void IMO. The oath was for "while you served", whether you agreed with some of current laws or not.
    If I'm not mistaken you are an LEO in your state. You have also taken the Oath of Office your state requires.

http://www.psprs.com/Admin_Training/..._of_office.pdf

So, if I am correct, you are under a current oath as follows:

OATH OF OFFICE
    State of Arizona,
    County of ________________
    I, ____________________________________________do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution and laws of the State of Arizona, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same and defend them against all enemies, foreign and
    domestic, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge the duties of the office of
    _______________________________________ according to the best of my ability, so help me God (or
    so I do affirm).
    SIGNATURE OF OFFICER OR EMPLOYEE
    TYPE OR PRINT NAME
    NAME OF OFFICE
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

There was never a mention of an expiration date of the oath during my twenty-two years in the military. Why would I need to join a group to reaffirm it?
    shadowwalker and Phaedrus like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

The oath keepers doesn't sound like anything i would want to be a part of,but hey whatever floats your boat i guess.

Senior Moderator
    Here it is in a nutshell.

Oath Keepers » Blog Archive » Declaration Of Orders We Will Not Obey

FWIW, there a lots of people in this area that are in it. Knowing some of the members and their family's it's doesn't appear to be the "fringe" organization that many would have you believe it is. Lots of Mayors, Police Chiefs, Sheriffs, Pastors and even some Politicians. Many police officers are members as well as High Ranking Military Officers.

Or course the liberal news media hates it and liberals everywhere or scared to death of it because they think it exists to overthrow the government, without realizing that many of them are in the government.

One has to ask why this organization?
    Most people fail to ask that simple question but then we know that it would require the ability to have conscious thought, so that excludes many.

Why does Oath Keepers feel the need to exist?

I think its pretty funny actually.
    oneshot and Aceoky like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links