COPS don't stop crimes!

COPS don't stop crimes!

This is a discussion on COPS don't stop crimes! within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; They investigate them. Even when you get a speeding ticket, you are caught AFTER the fact. Oh sure fear is a deterrent but the primary ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: COPS don't stop crimes!

Distinguished Member

COPS don't stop crimes!

They investigate them. Even when you get a speeding ticket, you are caught AFTER the fact. Oh sure fear is a deterrent but the primary focus is on solving crimes AFTER they have taken place.

Statistics I'd like (no, love) to see.

What % of robbers are caught in the act?
    What % of burglers are caught in the act?
    What % of rapists are caught in the act?
    Ditto assault and battery crimes.
    Ditto domestic abuse crimes.
    Ditto home invasions
    ad nauseum, or as the king of Siam would say, etc etc etc.

You get the picture. I think the answer to those questions lie behind the reason I carry and have weapons at home. I don't ant to have to wait for cops to take care of me because they will only be there in time to investigate what has already happened. Thanks a bunch from my dead body or violated family member. No, I am going to protect my own without apology.

I'm sure there is a teeny tiny % of the above questions when the cops arrive when in fact the crime has just started but seriously? compared to the % they are johnny law come lately? Yeah, that's an argument where I like my odds.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

This is no swipe at LE. Its just the nature of the darn job. Unless something happens right in front of them or in the city they happen to be right around the corner and the incident is just starting they are going to get there 98 percent of the time after the fact. Its why folk hire armed security if they need it.

If rural the odds of LE getting to any sort of violent crime home invasion etc until long after its over are practically 0.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    All the cops I run and train with pretty much say the same thing. They are not their for my protection. They are there to clean up, and file the report. I can name at least two, that are very frustrated at people in general who don't take their own safety seriously, and are tired of getting criticized for not making it in time.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I am currently taking a Criminal Justice System class where we do go into policing... I can't remember the exact stats but something along the lines of if the police don't arrive in less than 30 seconds after the the commission of a crime the odds of an arrest are VERY low. But as GHOST said this is nothing against LEO's, it is just the nature of the job

VIP Member
    I've always thought a very powerful PSA for personal responsibility would be cops speaking into the camera, saying something along the lines of:

"If someone is kicking your door in, and you call me, I probably won't be there in time to protect you. If you cannot protect yourself, you have my word I shall do my best to find him and bring him to justice for what he will have done to you."
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I wouldn't mind seeing the numbers (if they even exist) but I certainly don't need to. I think a large number of anti's also know what we know to be true but I do feel for those who are ignorant enough to believe the police will always be there to keep them safe and/or "it can't happen to them". That's a very dangerous line of thinking and they need to realize that they, themselves, will always be the first line of defense and the first on scene if anything were to happen. Unless one is extremely depressed, I just really can't wrap my head around why somebody wouldn't value their life (or that of their loved ones) enough to do all they could to ensure that it continues.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

A true dyed in the wool Anti gun person, not politician but just plain person knows LE likely cant get to them in time. But they also believe that in their dream world the all wise and powerful Feds can get rid of all guns in this country to a point that nobody has one legally or illegally except LE etc.

Which plays into their inner knowledge that they simply cannot use a firearm to protect themselves for a number of various reasons. But they can see themselves using a baseball bat or pepper spray. So in their closed little minds getting rid of all guns puts them at least on an even playing field with the BGs if ONLY THE BGS COULDNT GET A GUN!!

That the Feds are not all powerful OZ and cannot accomplish what they want them too by any means in this country or that criminals by definition do not obey laws regardless simply is beyond their thinking.
    StormRhydr and The Old Anglo like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    cops don't stop crimes, superheros do!
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

This was very true for me a few weeks ago as I was held up at gunpoint. That's also why I'm new this forum and CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by JSMidd View Post
    This was very true for me a few weeks ago as I was held up at gunpoint. That's also why I'm new this forum and CCW.
    Ehhh the like is that your taking responsibility for your own safety and coming to DC. Not because you were held up at gun point.

LOL Here we go again...lol

VIP Member
    Cops may not actually be able to stop crimes before or even during their occurrence. Law Enforcement enforces laws we already have in place. In theory, the laws are in place to prevent crime from happening.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Cops may not actually be able to stop crimes before or even during their occurrence. Law Enforcement enforces laws we already have in place. In theory, the laws are in place to prevent crime from happening.
    Bingo!.... (I owe you a cup of coffee)
    Ghost1958 and ShooterGranny like this.

I wonder if an officer was parked in front of a bank if it would get robbed?

Surely if OC detours crime , this would have the same effect, wouldn't it?
    Ghost1958 and Bad Bob like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    How does that work? It's like saying those red hexagonal things are there to -make- people stop, look and listen...while driving. I've not seen it happen. :)
    NONAME762 and molleur like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links