For anyone who has ever carried the M249

This is a discussion on For anyone who has ever carried the M249 within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ....you know exactly what I'm talking about. You got the SAW because either you were the boot/cherry, or you watched too many Rambo movies and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: For anyone who has ever carried the M249

For anyone who has ever carried the M249

....you know exactly what I'm talking about. You got the SAW because either you were the boot/cherry, or you watched too many Rambo movies and saw the SAW and thought, "I WILL be Rambo". It wasn't until after you carried it for more than an hour you realized the mistake you made. You carried 600 rounds, had to clean it every 5 minutes to avoid jams. You lugged that 30 lbs piece of sheet metal all over third world countries. The novelty wore off quick. When your buddies were walking around the PB or FOB, you were doing the gangster lean trying to imitate your buddies. This era would soon come to end, but would it all be for the better?
    Then in the DOD's genius they replaced the SAW with the M27 IAR. They decided that a closed bolt select fire carbine was necessary. Except the fact that you were expected to carry 20 magazines split up between the squad. *facepalm*. Yes the IAR was a much welcome change. YES it's a closed bolt weapon. Why make it an unchangeable barrel. Why was this never considered?
    ARES-16? AMG-1 : Ares Defense Systems
    This makes me want to cry.
    It makes me want to laugh.
    It makes me angry. It makes my back angry remembering all the pain it suffered due to the M249 LMG. It makes Chesty Angry.

All joking aside this is one sweet piece of hardware. These DO have changeable barrels, way more erganomic, and the old SAW nutsacks/drums work perfect. I think the IAR is cool, but 20 30 round mags seems a little silly.
    *discuss*
    BTW: Awesome barrel changevhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry9LLOoCZ7E
    Recon1342 likes this.
    USMC 2009-2013 0341 Pfc-Cpl.
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian
    My Blog http://renogunblog.blogspot.com/

2. Remove Ads

I was the SAW man in cold weather training. I had to hump, snowshoe, and ski with the damn thing from the desert of. 29 Stumps, to Bridgeport, then Norway.

But I could tear it up with a 200 round drum:) but you could forget using AR mags, they always jammed.
    But I eventually cheated on the SAW with a M203, and never went back.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Try humping an M60.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I once got to shoot a FN Minimi (similar to the M249) lotsa fun to shoot. The Dealer friend wanted to trade it (the FN) for a couple of my more interesting guns. The FN is nice, but I prefer my M60D model or the 1918A2 B A R . They both "chug" along, but I wanna be on the giving side rather than the recieving side.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Ya know, I knew a Marine that served in Korea and VN and then some. He was one of the biggest guys in his company. What that got him was put on the crew that strapped up in a harness to move the 75mm cannon around when needed.

I wasn't a fan of the switch from the M-249 to the IAR, but it happened while I was in EAS mode. I believe my unit was one of the first to take the IAR downrange instead of their SAWs. From what I recall the original intent was to go with a larger capacity magazine (100 round Beta drum mag), but none of them were reliable enough in testing. The Surefire 60/100 round mags came out shortly after the IAR was adopted, I don't know if they were ever reliable enough to use in it. The bipods on a SAW were pretty weak too, and seemed to have a propensity for breaking.

I liked the "assault SAW" version, with the collapsible buttstock and short barrel, it was actually fairly handy, although cleaning any SAW always sucked. But, like Gman, I cheated on my SAW with a 203, and that was that. Full auto is great, but lobbing grenades 350 meters is even better.

Try humping an M60.
    The M-240 would be a more apt comparison to the 60. The 60 was/is more of a medium machine gun, even though it was forced into the light machine gun at a squad level.

I don't have much use for the ARES upper, but I
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

He rates.
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Try humping an M60.
    USMC 2009-2013 0341 Pfc-Cpl.
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian
    My Blog http://renogunblog.blogspot.com/

I'm not a military guy, have never served, so forgive me if I'm missing something, but I don't really get the M27. How do you replace a light machine gun with a glorified assault rifle? I guess it lasts longer than direct impingement before overheating, but does that really suffice to fill that role?
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I only have time on the M-60 and it was heavy and called a lot of names until she was needed then she talked and walked a pretty good path. I am not a big guy 5'11 and 170 pounds and a small bottle of bug repellant got heavy over time.

Welcome Home
    Ksgunner likes this.

VIP Member
    Not having a higher capacity seems to kind of miss the whole point of a squad automatic weapon. With what they came up with they could have just handed out some A1 M16s and accomplished just about the same thing.

Of course, I'm just a glutton for punishment. I liked the SAW and decided about 2 years in that I wish I would have been a machine funner (not a typo- the F makes it true). They had bigger guns that I liked even more. Mk 19? Yes, please!
    NONAME762 and Recon1342 like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I was a machine gunner in the USMC and the saw was my favorite gun, followed closely by the mk19. That IAR does look good though, would love to hump it and see what i think of it after a week.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

"Guns Up!" "Watch your boots"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Try humping an M60.
    This is as close as I ever got to a SAW. Humped it and jumped it.
    BadgerJ likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I hated carrying that thing, and there was no convenient way to sling it without something jabbing you in the side, but it sure was fun to shoot.

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I never had a jam with live ammo.

With Simunition training you could have a shining moment of revenge on all your platoon buddies who would always be yelling at you to hurry up as they would prance around with their 7-lb rifle and seven mags as you huffed and puffed your 17-lb machine gun and 600-1000 rounds of ammo...
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

At least (as far as I'm aware) they won't be completely getting rid of the SAW.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    I'm not a military guy, have never served, so forgive me if I'm missing something, but I don't really get the M27. How do you replace a light machine gun with a glorified assault rifle? I guess it lasts longer than direct impingement before overheating, but does that really suffice to fill that role?
    The point of the M27 is to give small units full auto capability without requiring them to carry around something larger and more cumbersome - like the SAW. They are still operational as a small fire team with standard M16/M4 size weapons, but able to engage with suppressive fire if necessary. Look at all the comments so far - anybody that's even held a SAW in their hand for more than 15 minutes knows that the SAW can be a real pain. The M27 doesn't have that problem.

I was under the impression that the SAW will still be used in larger units.

My feelings are split about the M27. Smaller weapon, much more manageable in closer quarters. But, from what I've seen, Afghanistan operations would benefit more from the SAW than a close quarters weapon. The M27 is certainly handy (by the way, for those unaware, the M27 is a select fire, altered HK416), but replacing the M249 for a Squad-level automatic? Was it really necessary?

Constantly replacing 30 or even 40 round magazines just doesn't seem to be…reasonable, in my opinion.

But depending on the situation, I see the benefit.

And who WOULDN'T want to carry around an HK416?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links