US Army retirement circa 1993 question

This is a discussion on US Army retirement circa 1993 question within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If someone could help out with a family "discussion" please. What was the lowest enlisted rank that could stay in for 25 years before retiring...circa ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45

Thread: US Army retirement circa 1993 question

If someone could help out with a family "discussion" please. What was the lowest enlisted rank that could stay in for 25 years before retiring...circa 1993?
    Unreconstructed to the End.
    Dum Vivimus Vivamus
    Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back

The research I'm finding is SSG (E6)....High Year of Tenure

But I'm looking for specific guidance from 1993.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    I don't think that has changed since I was in so has been that was since the early 80s.

HYT has been changing pretty quick over the last few years. I will look it up when I get to work my guess for active duty would be E7.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I am almost positive it was E7, not E6. Unless the E6 was on the promotion list (army). Actually, I think E7 was for 22 years now that I think of it
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

It depended on MOS. They had an up or out policy. How ever Some MOS's it did not apply. And many wavers were granted.

VIP Member
    E-6 and O-4 both have to retire at 20 years of active service. The answer is E-7 at 24 years and E-8 and O-5, who both must retire at 26 years unless waived, which since the GWOT has been not uncommon.

Officers promotions and retirement is managed under DOPMA and are the same for all Services:

Navy Officer Promotion Chart

SigGuy provides the best chart and info.

For Enlisted it can vary between Services but generally E-6 / 20 years; E-7 / 24 years; E-8 / 26 years and E-9 / 30 years
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    It depended on MOS. They had an up or out policy. How ever Some MOS's it did not apply. And many wavers were granted.
    This was the way it was in the Navy in 93. The book said E6 - 20, E7 -24 but because some NEC's (same as MOS) were very difficult for promotions especially after the draw downs following the cold war, waivers were not uncommon.

Well, if that person's last duty station was the brig, technically it could be E-1.
    Sig 210 likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Sponsored Links