Back in the Rockpile

This is a discussion on Back in the Rockpile within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well gang I have been absent for some months after returning from Afghanistan my life kinda fell apart but after praying and turning it all ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Back in the Rockpile

VIP Member

Back in the Rockpile

Well gang I have been absent for some months after returning from Afghanistan my life kinda fell apart but after praying and turning it all over to the man upstairs I have returned to the place that I feel, and this will sound strange, safe and comfortable. Lory and I have gone our separate ways and I wish her no ill will and pray for her daily that she will mature into the woman I know she can be.

I am back with the teams again in Northern Afghanistan this time. I have my trusty AK and an M9 this time but settling in so far working with my Afghan team. Not sure how long I will be here this time but several months at least. I flew in on Christmas Day to the camp, slept in an empty room and had time to reflect on life, the good and the bad.

My close friends and family have been my salvation through all this and have helped me through one of the lowest times in my life but as always I will heal and carry on.

I want to thank Harryball for always being there and checking on me and giving moral support.

Hope to be involved again in some spirited discussions here.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

Welcome back My Brother...

I had no idea... But it's clear that you have handled ya business. Proud to have you an an internet bro...

VIP Member
    Thanks
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

MJK
    Welcome back TM! What you've been through is likely the most challenging experience in your life, but your best days are yet to come.

I'm a huge fan of the AK platform. Just curious...what are your reasons for choosing it as your primary weapon? I suspect lots of members would be interested in hearing your expert opinion.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

VIP Member
    Life hits you like that sometimes. Try to keep positive - it really does help.

Check in once in a while. We're here for you.

Stay safe over there.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Stay safe young man, stay safe and God Bless.

Distinguished Member
    Good to hear from you again Tacman! I may not know you personally like some of the others, but it is truly good to hear from you.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, that sucks. It sounds like you definitely have the right mindset and capability to deal with it, and a whole lot more.

Looking forward to seeing you around more often. Stay safe and God bless!
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Glad to hear. Prayers sent. Stay safe

VIP Member
    'Good to hear from you. You've been through a lot. Reach out anytime.

VIP Member
    Thanks again for the support guys it truly means a lot.

Well in regards to weapons as a contractor I have used M4's, AK's, FN/FAL's and everything in between. I prefer AK's for a couple of reasons. They are the weapons my Afghan team uses and they always seem to work. I have the luxury of picking and choosing from the armory so I grab two or three and then go to the range with them and pick from there.

M4's are more reliable than given credit for and an AK is more accurate than expected. They are easy to maintain and work even with missing top covers and if you want to push it you can fire it manually after removing the recoil spring. I avoid the Pakistani copies like the plague but do prefer the Chinese or Russian milled versions.

I generally stick to fixed stock variants unless I can find a Chinese, Bulgarian or Polish side folder. The AMD-65's are plentiful however the folding stocks are not very rugged. The underfolder versions are good but can be difficult to get a good stock weld on.

Every AK I use I take a file and widen the rear notch just to give a better sight picture and I add a small section of rail and add a WML. Generally I do not put on a rail system or put an optic on.

In regards to mags I try to find Bulgarian circle 10's, original Russian or Yugoslavian they seem to work the best.

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Stay focused amigo. Be careful.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Good to hear from you! Sorry to hear about your hard times; I will definitely keep you in my prayers. Stay safe over there.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

Glad yer back! One thing about life; it's interesting enough to want to see what happens next.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

MJK
    Thanks TM...I never thought of firing an AK without the mainspring! Just goes to show how rugged and reliable the design is.

Looking forward to your posts...stay safe and God bless!
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

You know what has to be done and you kept moving forward. Sounds like a lot of hurt needs time to heal up. Inventory, asses, act. You came to the right place the people here have the ability to give out a little strong love and good advice. Keep safe and come home.

Respectfully,
    Bill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links