Boston: AR-15 Not Necessary for LEO

This is a discussion on Boston: AR-15 Not Necessary for LEO within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Saw this on a local forum. Maybe this will make law enforcement realize that politicians really don't have any respect for them or their lives. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: Boston: AR-15 Not Necessary for LEO

Saw this on a local forum. Maybe this will make law enforcement realize that politicians really don't have any respect for them or their lives. Probably not.

Incoming Boston mayor, police clash over AR-15 proposal | Fox News
    Kavalander and 64zebra like this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The new mayor should review the LA bank robbery of a few years back where handguns/shotguns were totally ineffective against the BGs with fully auto weapons. Hopefully he won't come to regret his views.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

OD*
    "Unless otherwise convinced by the Boston Police Department, he does not think they are necessary."
    What does a life long desk jockey know about what is necessary for LEO's?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Of course he doesn't want to admit the police needs better rifles to face armed criminals. That'd require him to admit that the armed criminals in his city have better guns than the cops carry right now. Which would mean that gun control doesn't work. And we can't have that, can we?

VIP Member
    From the article:

"I don't believe arming them with assault weapons is going to make them any safer," City Councilor Charles Yancey said, according to MyFoxBoston.com.
    They probably don't need those hi-cap handguns either. That money would be better spent buying more pepper spray!
    64zebra likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The new mayor should review the LA bank robbery of a few years back where handguns/shotguns were totally ineffective against the BGs with fully auto weapons. Hopefully he won't come to regret his views.
    - Even in that scenario, the LEO had to run to a local gun store to arm themselves with better weapons. I wonder if Boston even has that option.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

If you have accepted a belief system that says evil comes from a machine instead of a heart, then who would you want to have that machine?

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NightOwl76 View Post
    Of course he doesn't want to admit the police needs better rifles to face armed criminals. That'd require him to admit that the armed criminals in his city have better guns than the cops carry right now. Which would mean that gun control doesn't work. And we can't have that, can we?
    can i "like" this twice? can u have a "super like" button?
    Exacto, Aceoky and 64zebra like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    What does a life long desk jockey know about what is necessary for LEO's?
    Not much.
    However a life long criminal knows what he don't want a LEO to have.
    64zebra likes this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

VIP Member
    Under the plan, according to MyFoxBoston.com, the city would buy 33 AR-15 rifles, at $2,500 apiece. They would go to two trained officers in all 11 districts of Boston.
    I don’t know about Boston but around you can get some very nice AR-15s fully pimped out for less than $2,500. As far as the mayor as someone else has already said a desk riding politician has no clue what the police need but I would be willing to bet his personal security detail is not only equipped with handguns but with shotguns and rifles as well.
    OD* and 64zebra like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

From the article, they would buy 33 rifles and distribute them to two officers in the 11 districts. My math says that would be twenty two rifles in the districts. The other 11 would probably be for the mayor's guard detail.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Well Mayor, the bad guy's, you know, the ones that ignore your laws and prey upon your voters, will have them. So, when the SHTF next time, tell your officers to stay put and you'll handle it. Either that or let the police who know what they will be facing, equip their men the way they see fit ,and stick to things you know something about.
    Chief1297 and 64zebra like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

VIP Member
    Flip side:

How frequently if at all have the Boston Police needed to use an AR 15 over the last 10 years, and what reasonable options might
    they have had in the same circumstances; e.g., Saiga 12 G?

Oh, they actually have not had them at all so far according to the news story.

Can it be demonstrated that not having them caused injury or loss of life
    of any officer? How many situations have they encountered in the last decade in which having an AR can be demonstrated would have helped?

Boston PD are proposing to get only a limited number, so limited maybe they don't need them at all? Its not like they are planning to outfit
    everyone.

What about all the posts we get throughout this board complaining about "militarization of the police?" Are those posts all meaningless?

I really don't care what they do or don't do. In the grand scheme of their budget the cost of 33 rifles is no big deal, but I do question
    what their true needs are, and if they can be met in some other manner.

IMO I'd have no problem with an AR and Saiga locked in the back of every patrol car. OTOH, where is the need? What is their local experience in the real world of policing Boston that shows the need?

One story from years back in CA doesn't do it as far as justification, at least not if you count yourself among those who oppose militarization of LE; and I'm not in that camp BTW.

Were I a MA /Boston tax payer I'd just want to see some evidence that the purchase isn't just filling a wish list.
    Kavalander, ctr, BkCo1 and 1 others like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I don’t know about Boston but around you can get some very nice AR-15s fully pimped out for less than $2,500. As far as the mayor as someone else has already said a desk riding politician has no clue what the police need but I would be willing to bet his personal security detail is not only equipped with handguns but with shotguns and rifles as well.
    ...right?! especially buying in bulk!!! i AM a purchasing agent, and if i was buying 33 rifles in one delivery i'd make darn sure it was ONE order, with ONE manufacturer/distributor, for ONE model, and i'd want at minimum a 7% discount. i'd start with 15%!! some government employee is getting a LOT of belt buckles with this purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Or maybe he should watch "The Town"... probably closer to real life than the mayor's "Sunnybrook Farm" fantasy of Beantown.
    OD*, glockman10mm and Aceoky like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links