Police encounter rights

Police encounter rights

This is a discussion on Police encounter rights within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This web page has a nice infographic summarizing your rights during various encounters with the police (in the USA): You Have the Right to Stay ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Police encounter rights

Police encounter rights

This web page has a nice infographic summarizing your rights during various encounters with the police (in the USA):

You Have the Right to Stay Out of Jail
    Exacto and gatorbait51 like this.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

VIP Member
    Not altogether accurate. It is, for example, possible to refuse to submit to a breathalyzer and still keep one's license. Rare, and exceptional, but possible.
    gatorbait51, VNvet and OlCop like this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

I cant remember ever seeing a drug checkpoint. The Breathalyzer stuff is wacky...."tuned to the average person"? Sort of, but for any measureable result to be different, an "average" man would have to be about a thousand pounds plus or minus of the "average". Ahh yes, most arrests occur from police trickery and intimidation....I always forget about those arrests. I lost count of how many times I "tricked" someone into being charged by somehow putting a bag of dope up their behind. Yet they always seem to think they were tricked. "These aint my pants!!"

This little brochure appears as if its handed out by defense attorney's who make a ton of money playing along with the "dem police tricked me! I aint did nuttin!" crowd. I would seek legal advice from more reliable channels.....
    gatorbait51, GH, mano3 and 3 others like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Highly exaggerated "rights." I wouldn't bet not taking a trip to jail on them.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Follow some of the things you read on websites like that and see where you will Probably end up.

That being said,i've never had a bad encounter with any LEO..That's not to say i won't,but so far so good.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Unless you have contact with a LEO on a regular basis you're probably not going to remember all that stuff about your rights.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Bottom line is if a LEO wants to take you to jail with a reason or without , and either doesnt care about getting in hot water over it or thinks you wont make an issue of it, he/she will take you to jail. If the LEO cant do it by him/herself they have a whole lot of help just waiting in the wings.

If you dont have a record. Actually had done nothing wrong but anger the LEO you can usually have his head in court over it. But going to jail you will do if LE decides that is what they want to do. Or the coroner.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Winning the lotto is more likely than winning a road side debate with a law enforcement officer.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

The false positive factors for the breathilyzer are not correct and the information is out-dated. New intoxilyzer machines are designed to detect those factors.
    GWarden likes this.
    PROTECT THE FLOCK, CONFRONT THE WOLF.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bikemobile View Post
    The false positive factors for the breathilyzer are not correct and the information is out-dated. New intoxilyzer machines are designed to detect those factors.
    You do realize that anything but a blood test done at a hospital or ER for alcohol level is going to show whatever the LEO wants it show??

I have one DUI over 30 years ago. Trouble with that was, and I have no reason to lie about it 30 years later, I was not drinking. I had stopped by a bar on the way home from work to meet a friend. Had 3 cokes. As in soft drinks. But my tire got marked so I got pulled in a block after I left 30 min later.

I passed the field test, but was taken to blow their machine which I agreed to do figuring that would be it and id be on my way.

Wrong. After being tested three separate times in a 20 min period by their repeated requests I went from nothing to the borderline of .10 as it was back then and got popped.

This with no drinking cold meds nothing. And it stuck in court. Unless Coke had some really potent water in it back then it was a totaly rail road using the infamous breathalyzer .
    Oldpsufan likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

What a crock of crap about the Breathalyzer alone, this device measures the blood alcohol concentration based on 53.5 ml sample of deep lung breath. The fallacy of diabetes (acetone) effecting a properly administered test has years ago been found to be void. The only outside effect that could result in an improper test is the presence of raw alcohol in the mouth, through regurgitation or other factors. That is why more than one test is always given. That is also why at least 20 minutes are allowed before the first test to allow raw alcohol to dissipate from the mouth. In most states, two tests, within .01% bac. constitute a valid test. I love these curbside attorneys who think that all LEO are out to get them through dirty tricks. Think of this, with all the drunks driving around every night, what incentive would a LEO have to harass someone who is not drunk, when the next three drivers are?

Ghost, with the Breathalyzer 900 or 900A the bac was determined by nulling the device, and yes, credibility of the operator was a factor. With the Alcotest, and other modern devices, the tests are performed digitally with highly accurate infrared programs. These devices can not be tampered with and will produce nothing but a true bac.
    Ghost1958 and 64zebra like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post
    This web page has a nice infographic summarizing your rights during various encounters with the police (in the USA):

You Have the Right to Stay Out of Jail
    Wow, that's the perfect size to print out and hang from your rear view mirror.
    WHEC724 and fredg53 like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Things have changed in 30 years. Like cop154 said, they are 100% accurate and trustworthy. All digital, tamperproof and reliable.
    cop154, GWarden and Ghost1958 like this.
    PROTECT THE FLOCK, CONFRONT THE WOLF.....

Quote Originally Posted by cop154 View Post
    Ghost, with the Breathalyzer 900 or 900A the bac was determined by nulling the device, and yes, credibility of the operator was a factor. With the Alcotest, and other modern devices, the tests are performed digitally with highly accurate infrared programs. These devices can not be tampered with and will produce nothing but a true bac.
    Well that is a good thing then. I can only speak to the machines they were using way back then. And that one showed me at .10 when I had drank no alcohol or any alcohol based medicine at all in weeks. Only soft drinks.

I havent had occasion to be tested in all those years since so the machines may well have changed and be tamper proof now. They werent back then though LOL.
    Aceoky likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links