Lone Survivor

Lone Survivor

This is a discussion on Lone Survivor within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A LGS was giving away passes to a pre-release screening of the movie Lone Survivor and Stove Jr and I went over to pick a ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: Lone Survivor

VIP Member

Lone Survivor

A LGS was giving away passes to a pre-release screening of the movie Lone Survivor and Stove Jr and I went over to pick a few up this afternoon.

Just got home - what a movie!

It is a very well done, extremely realistic account of a true story of a mission undertaken by a Seal Team in Afghanistan. Not only is the story well done but it is also a very moving tribute to our men and women in the Armed Forces. Lots of sniffling and blurry vision on the way out....

Everyone in America should see this movie.

For me personally, it can't be said enough - THANK YOU for all that served and are still serving our country. What you do makes it possible for the rest of us to be who we are and that is a debt that we can never repay. God bless you all.
    BenGoodLuck, niks, Pinot and 18 others like this.

VIP Member
    Haven't seen it but plan to. Thanks for your review, Stoveman, and +1 on the THANK YOU to all our service men and women.
    OD*, RichB70, gatorbait51 and 1 others like this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

I plan on seeing it. I might even splurge and see it in a theater.

I just hope it is a better representation of the Afghan war than Hurt Locker was for Iraq. I do understand that they are movies made for entertainment, and hence will never be truly accurate, but since the vast majority of the populace gets their knowledge of our wars from popular media, I'd prefer that they get something worthy of the sacrifices made so that Hollywood has freedom to make their movies.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

From what I've heard, Marcus Lattrell was on the set as an advisor and was able to keep the movie very authentic. Planning on seeing it at a matinee next week.
    gatorbait51 and mano3 like this.

Like others said, thank you to our veterns.
    I loved the book a dit is a definite must read. I can't wait to see the movie.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

what he said, thanks to all who are and have served! Thanks Stove, it's nice to know I won't be disappointed this Friday.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Yes, very well done. Wife and I saw it as a pre-view last month. You hold your breathe for the last hour or so of the movie! Well worth your time and money to see it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Instructor

Haven't seen it, but plan to. Thanks for the heads-up.

Link to the film overview, showtimes: Lone Survivor film @ Fandango. Starts Jan 10.

Trailer for the film: Lone Survivor @ Fandango.

Lone Survivor tells an incredible, true tale of heroism, courage and survival.

Four Navy SEALs on a covert mission to neutralize a high-level al-Qaeda operative are ambushed by the enemy in the mountains of Afghanistan. Faced with an impossible moral decision, the small band is isolated from help and surrounded by a much larger force of Taliban ready for war. As they confront unthinkable odds together, the four men find reserves of strength and resilience as they stay in the fight to the finish.

Mark Wahlberg stars as Marcus Luttrell, the author of the first-person memoir Lone Survivor, whose bestselling book has become a motivational resource for its lessons on how the power of the human spirit is tested when we are pushed beyond our mental and physical limits.

Also starring Taylor Kitsch, Emile Hirsch and Ben Foster, Lone Survivor is written and directed by Peter Berg, who again crafts a striking portrait of the unbreakable bonds between men that he first explored in Friday Night Lights.
    NONAME762 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yes, excellent book. The decisions our military men and women have to make and then live with are unfathomable to me. They have my greatest respect.
    NONAME762, gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    NRA Life Member

I read the book just recently and gave it to several people as gifts. Its an incredible story of the heroism of these brave men who fight and die for our country and do it without thinking twice.

I will see the movie in theaters for sure.

4 guys taking out 80 or so Taliban by themselves is incredible by itself, let alone the rest of the story.

VIP Member
    I'm not spending my money to see anything Wahlberg does.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm not spending my money to see anything Wahlberg does.
    Hey, he's got to prove that his acting job is more like serving in the military than Tom Cruise's job.
    To have such problems.
    gatorbait51, Aceoky and NONAME762 like this.
    NRA Life Member

GH
    I have to see the movie & get the book. It would be sacrilege if I didn't. I'd also better start using FrogLube (made by SEALs) for the same reason.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Marcus Luttrell is actually in the movie hes the guy that gives Mr. Patton his first OP with the coffee cup!
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sauerpuss View Post
    Hey, he's got to prove that his acting job is more like serving in the military than Tom Cruise's job.
    To have such problems.
    I'm pretty sure Cruise was actually eligible to serve in the military, unlike Wahlberg.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links