Real verus fake cops

Real verus fake cops

This is a discussion on Real verus fake cops within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Men Posing as Police Commit Robery | The Truth About Guns This has always been a though of mind how do you tell good from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Real verus fake cops

Real verus fake cops

Men Posing as Police Commit Robery | The Truth About Guns

This has always been a though of mind how do you tell good from fake ?
    ShooterGranny likes this.

I wonder about this too. It's easy to get some sort of official looking badge and print up some creds. BTW, I think a "robery" is where you are wearing robes. They probably mean a robbery. Just saying.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    I wonder about this too. It's easy to get some sort of official looking badge and print up some creds. BTW, I think a "robery" is where you are wearing robes. They probably mean a robbery. Just saying.
    Those dog gone paperwork makers and file fillers probably have a Dictionary and Thesaurus handy every 4 feet.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

To defeat these fake cop raids and the ensuing mayhem entry doors should be THICK and SOLID and in door frames twice as strong. Several well placed Jersey Barriers to block vehicles ramming doorways or walls. Strategically placed decorative boulders deployed to cause severe damage to additional enemy vehicles. Entrance way could be of Airlock design. Trap attackers in zone of fear (for them) and hit them thru firing ports with CS gas or a sleeping agent. Once enemy is unconscious deliver them to LE with surveillance videos or memory discs.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Dont open the door. Ask for warrant and check it out if you are suspicious of it. Call and check its valid. Its OK to be cautious about stuff.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    F350_6, molleur, mano3 and 2 others like this.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    To defeat these fake cop raids and the ensuing mayhem entry doors should be THICK and SOLID and in door frames twice as strong. Several well placed Jersey Barriers to block vehicles ramming doorways or walls. Strategically placed decorative boulders deployed to cause severe damage to additional enemy vehicles. Entrance way could be of Airlock design. Trap attackers in zone of fear (for them) and hit them thru firing ports with CS gas or a sleeping agent. Once enemy is unconscious deliver them to LE with surveillance videos or memory discs.
    when does that movie come out?

Quote Originally Posted by squid86 View Post
    Dont open the door. Ask for warrant and check it out if you are suspicious of it. Call and check its valid. Its OK to be cautious about stuff.
    That's about all one can do, if at home. And, presuming the "line" is they're looking for someone else and need assistance, they can wait until I've called to confirm the validity.

Not so useful, if stopped along the roadway. Of course, then it's hard to fake an LEO without the squad car, full uniform and gear. Tougher to call for validation, in that situation, as there aren't any barriers between the assailant and us.

Of course, in the scenario in that article, I'd have a hard time complying if the claim was they were looking for others and required cuffing and stuffing me and mine in order to achieve that. Searching for a fugitive but believe cuffing me and my child is necessary for that? BS. Big time warning bells, right there.
    atctimmy and Aceoky like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    If you're really worried about this, do some research (not just internet tin foil website "research") about the subject matter at hand.
    In the mean time, install some lightning rods on your home, you have a far better chance of that being a threat to your home

Now if you want to discuss telling the difference between fake and real LEO, that's great. I've yet to see an educated well thought out debate on no knock warrants here, and I'm simply not going to allow blatant erroneous information to ruin this forum like it has so many others. So do not tread there. That's the only time I'm going to say it.
    kb2wji, Aceoky, Bad Bob and 7 others like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Frisky Business

Three German teenagers posed as police officers at the Munich Oktoberfest with the intention of "frisking" the prettiest attendants at the festival. The creative teens dressed up for the festival and then claimed to be searching for weapons in the crowd. They would approach the women they liked best to ask them to submit to a search. One of the women complained to the police station that she had been subjected to "a too intimate frisk." The real police went out to investigate and found the teenagers and arrested them for sexual harassment, indecent behavior and impersonating law enforcement officers.

http://thepolicedaily.com/news.htm
    Last edited by SIXTO; January 12th, 2014 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Took out picture that added no value and did not meet DC decent standards
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Great subject... Very important subject.

If the legitimate police have a warrant to search, they are going to come in. They will present you with the warrant. You have no choice in the matter. If they have a no knock atachment to their warrant they may or may not knock before forcing the door. If they dont they will knock before forcing the door.

Fake police are, and have been a huge problem in policing. Police shields, and badges are fairly easy to fake, and police equipment is easily obtainable. As this problem grew the police have adapted, and changed tactics but the problem remains.

How to tell the real police from the fake ones? No easy answer. Even the police get fooled from time to time. In my experience Police fakers come in basically three catagories. First is what we call the Police Buff. These are people who want to be an officer but for some reason cant cut it, so they collect police memorabilia, uniforms, equipment, listen to police radio calls, learn police jargon, and sometimes present themselves as actual officers. They are NOT! harmless. They often cause the real police problems by taking illegal, and authorized police action.

Second is the pervert who may use a police badge as a way to snare victims. They are most common IME victimizing women and children. My opinion is most sex offenders are cowards.

Third is the most concerning and is probably a much bigger problem that admited. These are the ones who use police ID to commit potentially violent crimes. Robbery, Burglary, fraud, forceable sex crimes, and what ever they can come up with. IME these guys will more than likely be armed. Fortunately for the average citizen they mostly prey on other criminals. People who are reluctant to call 9-1-1. Just as they pose a real threat to society as a whole, they pose an extra threat to the real police. Normally the professional criminal and the amature have a rule... DONT SHOOT AT THE POLICE... YOU CANT WIN. This unwritten rule is why the police impersonators do it. After they do their deed, and their victims realize they been taken by fake cops the rules change. When the legitimate police come along criminals may assume they are fake and shoot. Same with armed non sworn civilians.

How can you spot them? No hard n fast rule on that. I hope some of the other cops in the forum chime in. I'd like to hear from everyone on this. I've got a lot to add including a few experiences, some funny and some scary.

I can say that my department placed a huge effort in bringing these criminals to justice.

Down here we had enough home invasions by fake cops that it was a huge problem,until they busted the gang,In all reality unless they made a mistake they were hitting drug or money stash houses and ripping them off,they are lucky the Cops got them before the Cartel enforcers.In most cases they will have at least one marked unit on scene.
    Secret Spuk and Aceoky like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

While SIXTO has made it quite clear that the odds of this occurring are quite slim, it's one of the reasons I tend to lean towards the "shelter in place"/safe room approach to home defense.

Those of us who have nothing to fear from a police visit might be safest doing exactly that.. Someone banging on the door late at night... Claiming to be LE.

Hunker down in the bedroom (made safe room with multiple deadbolts on a solid core door), shotty trained on the door. Call 911. If it's the police, confirmed by 911, disarm, and stand ready. It's a wrong house... They will be liable for repairs for their error.

If they're faux po po, you are safe, 911 is sending real LEOS, and anyone tries the door before dispatch confirms LEO is there... You know what to do.

I can't think of a better way to assure one's safety in either case.Assuming you have no children or visitors at home with you.

A well fortified front door will assure enough time to get to the bedroom.

Land line and cel phone assure communication with 911... If it's BGs, they may cut phone and power lines... LEO probably won't do that, or attack ALL doors at once, unless they after a kingpin or gang.

If they come in all doors at once, you are under siege... Good luck!

This was posted from my mobile device, links may be for mobile... Deal with it!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Here's a recent news item on just such an impersonation, though on the highway: Man impersonating officers pulls over off duty detective @ WXIN Fox59.

The guy who ultimately got "pulled over" did so even though the one following him wasn't in a squad car, wasn't running red/blue "police" lighting. The guy flashed a "badge," apparently, claimed he was "calling for backup." Could easily have been worse, had he had bad intentions beyond what occurred.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

TRX
    Back some years ago there were one or more people using flashers on their cars, fake cops. That was back before the sheriff's department got fancy paint jobs. They'd pull people over and rob them. One of my relatives was killed by one of them.

If it's not a marked car, I'm don't stop unless it's a well-lit area, preferably with witnesses around. I haven't run into the problem since cellphones became common; nowadays I'd probably call 911 and ask them if they can contact the deputy or officer and tell them I'll pull over at the first opportunity.

Nowadays even the unmarked cars have enough lights on the dash or behind the grille to half-blind you with their light show, so identifying a police car might not be an issue any more, at least in my locale.

An angry cop is a problem, but being robbed or killed is a bigger problem.

Fake cop stories... some are funny, some serious, some tragic.

Funny one. I worked for one of NY's smaller departments in the beginning of my career. We had a different radio freq than the big department. We this guy comes in one day and flashes a tin saying he's from the street crime unit, and wants to borrow one of our radio's. So he signs out a portable and brings it back at the end of the tour. Next day he's back for a radio... so once in a while we hear "Street crime responding" to gun run's and robberies. By the fourth day we hear "Street crime responding to that family dispute" LOL Should have seen the Station house officers face. So he sent a sector to find the STREET CRIME UNIT and bring them back. Turns out this guy was a buff. A wannabe cop playing with a real police radio. Embarassing huh?

Serious one. My squad was doing SNEU (Street narcotics enforcement unit) in harlem one night. A guy comes up and asks what Pct we were taking out arrests to. Told him we hadnt made any yet, but why? He says his buddy was arrested and he couldnt find what Pct he was in. As were talking a car go's by and the guy points it out as the cops who arrested his drug dealer friend. So we pull it over.. and the driver and passenger ID themselves with NYPD shields. Say they are working narcotis in the area, and this guy was their collar. Of course we tell them "ummm no were the narcotics team" Two guys with shields going around kidnapping drug dealers and robbing them, or holding them for ransom.

Tragic one. Some time ago in Brooklys two guys enter a bar n grill pull guns and announce a stick up. A patrol entering right after see's them and call's the police. A sector responds to the robbery in progress. An officer enters from the dront and everyone is just sitting there having a drink. As he's looking around a patron pulls a shield and identifies himself as an off duty cop. The uniformed officer relaxes and holsters his gun. The guy with the shield oulls his own gun and shoots the officer dead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links