Police Depts. can't find qualified recruits

This is a discussion on Police Depts. can't find qualified recruits within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking for hockey defensemen and getting PHD's instead. SHOT Show: Police Officers Explain Why Millennials Make Terrible Cops...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: Police Depts. can't find qualified recruits

Looking for hockey defensemen and getting PHD's instead.

SHOT Show: Police Officers Explain Why Millennials Make Terrible Cops

GH
    Not surprising. The Army has had the same problem for years. Not as much of a problem now that the military is being downsized & the war in Afghanistan is winding down, but many recruits are turned down because a waiver of one kind or another is required.

When my son left the 75th Ranger Regiment for civilian life he was recruited by the FBI. They told him that some recent FBI Academy Recruits were horrified when they were issued their duty pistols. All they wanted to do was sit behind a computer & fight crime that way. Those that want to be gun totin' door kickers are few & far between. FBI even granted education exceptions & time served in a field office while waiting for an HRT assignment to any US Military Special Operators - SEALs, Rangers, Recon Marines, USAF PJs & Special Forces & even Snipers.

My son graduated for the Milwaukee Police academy a year ago & he was complaining about the quality of some of the police recruits. Most were eventually squared away because of hard work by the Instructors & peer pressure. A few didn't make it to graduation. The recruits getting the best grades & adapted well were former Military & sons/daughters of LEO. They got the hang of it right away.

I guess the present day public education system is letting our young video game & texting addicts down. English in itself is suffering with all the abbreviations that texting brings & the present day common speech has no resemblance to proper English usage.
    Last edited by GH; January 17th, 2014 at 05:36 PM.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Libertarian Constitutionalists have the...SAME problem.
    gatorbait51 and rcsoftexas like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Moderator
    That's a fact.

There have been several classes of recruits at ALETA (Arkansas Law Enforcement Training Academy) where no one in the class has ever fired a gun.
    These young ones have been taught never to fight for any reason or you'll get expelled, they have been taught all their lives to never question authority, and they have zero reasoning skills. Most of them cant even spell "common sense".

Its not all a loss though. Every now and then a couple break the typical mold and they actually turn out to be excellent officers.
    Aceoky, QKShooter, ccw9mm and 9 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

And yet the kids suffer from a catastrophic unemployment rate. There is a link.

Additionally, the increase in the minimum wage will not help.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

These young ones have been taught never to fight for any reason or you'll get expelled, they have been taught all their lives to never question authority, and they have zero reasoning skills. Most of them cant even spell "common sense".

This begs the question that often shows up in this forum about what will they do when the order is given to take your guns away.

I have known many good young officers others not so hot. There always has bee people unsuited for law enforcement or corrections. Now days though because of the economy and lack of manufacturing base in this country many who would not have ventured into those fields past are now doing so. They often have computer or academic backgrounds that rank them high in the selection process. I think departments need to look at their criteria and how they interpret what info they get.
    gatorbait51 and NONAME762 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by niks View Post
    This begs the question that often shows up in this forum about what will they do when the order is given to take your guns away.
    Some will follow illegal orders without question, many will hold to their Oath - we must hold onto the hope the former are much fewer than the latter (which I DO believe) Even with the long time Military officers being "let go" for making it clear they won't do any such thing- I believe it's "backfired" on this Regime- there is a great deal of respect for those officers
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    Some will follow illegal orders without question, many will hold to their Oath - we must hold onto the hope the former are much fewer than the latter (which I DO believe) Even with the long time Military officers being "let go" for making it clear they won't do any such thing- I believe it's "backfired" on this Regime- there is a great deal of respect for those officers
    I hope that you are right.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I sure hope so as well!

When you realize "Oath Keepers" not only exists but is growing - then one must have to figure many feel that way but don't want to "make waves" *(unless they have to do so) * I can't see Local & State LEO ignoring citizens rights, nor our Military ; much was found out post Katrina and what went on there and it was not good- then there is the total lack of respect for our soldiers (and Vets) which won't work well for this Regime (IMO)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    When my son was recruited for a federal agency, everyone in his class had at least one degree--some multiples--my son having a BS and two Masters in aerospace science. He found working as an engineer at KSC boring and decided to change jobs. He's more in law enforcement right now rather than "security," has made many arrests, and his most recent highlight is actually getting to swing the battering ram. He was like a giddy kid telling me about it.

I asked him once if he get in step with the program and collect firearms if that order ever came. He just smiled and said with a grin, "I won't be coming after yours." The good people are out there. You just need to have the proper filter.
    ccw9mm, WHEC724, oneshot and 2 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    When my son was recruited for a federal agency, everyone in his class had at least one degree--some multiples--my son having a BS and two Masters in aerospace science. He found working as an engineer at KSC boring and decided to change jobs. He's more in law enforcement right now rather than "security," has made many arrests, and his most recent highlight is actually getting to swing the battering ram. He was like a giddy kid telling me about it.

I asked him once if he get in step with the program and collect firearms if that order ever came. He just smiled and said with a grin, "I won't be coming after yours." The good people are out there. You just need to have the proper filter.
    Hi uncle OldVet. Remind him of your nephew.
    Aceoky, gatorbait51 and Ghost1958 like this.

Too bad I am too old to start over.....
    gatorbait51 and ex95B10 like this.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I agree completely! When I retired we had 14 vacancies that were very difficult to fill. (BTW, we only hired recruits who had already completed the Police Academy.) Most of the better recruits we hired were veterans from Iraq and Afganistan w/o 4 year college degrees. Ironically most of the ones who didn't make it through the FTO program were ones with Bachelors or Masters degrees. Alot never got past the interview process after they found out they would be working nights weekends and holidays in often crappy weather!
    Aceoky, gatorbait51 and Ghost1958 like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

VIP Member
    This has been an on-going problem in Maryland and more directly in Balo. City .......Hiring people with records or a crimminal past as cops and to lower the standards it has not worked here and is a bad ideal .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links