UK- Middle class is arming themselves.......

This is a discussion on UK- Middle class is arming themselves....... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Maybe the UK's anti self defense attitude is changing.....slightly. http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/index....D=2&subID=1205 A widow who lives alone in a Wiltshire farmhouse has taken to sleeping with a ...

Thread: UK- Middle class is arming themselves.......

VIP Member

UK- Middle class is arming themselves.......

Maybe the UK's anti self defense attitude is changing.....slightly.

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/index....D=2&subID=1205

A widow who lives alone in a Wiltshire farmhouse has taken to sleeping with a Smith & Wesson Saturday Night Special under her pillow......

....When she goes shopping in Swindon, she slips a can of Mace into her handbag in case of assault......

.....A senior civil servant, now retired and living in a remote house near Losthwithiel in Cornwall, believes in the efficacy of a small-calibre .22 pistol. It was easy to buy without a licence or proof of identity in rural France, where they are used to kill vermin.....

....Many country people consider a sawn-off 12-bore to be the most effective and easily available short-range weapon.....

....Owning a weapon is becoming a habit for rural homeowners who feel unprotected now that so many police stations have closed......

...."I have never seen a police car in my village and violent crime in the county, of course, is up." Baseball bats, swords, machetes, Mace and firearms are kept beneath the bed or close to hand by many people....

....In spite of Tony Blair's legislation against handguns, lethal weapons are easy to acquire in the countryside. They aren't perceived as a problem because they are kept secretly for emergencies, rather than to show off to rival drug-dealers. Often they are acquired during military service and handed down through the family. But increasingly they are brought back from Europe by car.....

....Mace, pepper spray and metal-spring batons, illegal here, are easily and lawfully acquired in Europe, while high-calibre pistols can be bought in the Czech Republic.....

.....Could we be seeing the first signs of a militant middle class which has had enough and is beginning to arm itself? Perhaps......

.....For those who cling to the notion that an Englishman's home is his castle, a new weapon will soon be available to help deter intruders. Designed by BowTech in Oregon, USA, the Stryker (left) will be on sale in Europe by mid-January. Strangely enough, it's legal (for now) and fits neatly beneath the bed.....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Of course, if any of them actually use such scary implements to defend themselves from a violent felon, they can look forward to being prosecuted more vigorously that the actual criminal.

It seems the one thing the Crown hates above all is a subject defending themselves.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I'd just about given up hope. It's still not very encouraging, though.

VIP Member
    Glad to hear the civilians are defending themselves. Matt's right, though. Any use of such will assure them prison time, albeit alive.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Don't You Think...

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    Glad to hear the civilians are defending themselves. Matt's right, though. Any use of such will assure them prison time, albeit alive.
    that prison time is still better than 'dirt nap' time?

Maybe thing will change...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Of course, if any of them actually use such scary implements to defend themselves from a violent felon, they can look forward to being prosecuted more vigorously that the actual criminal.

It seems the one thing the Crown hates above all is a subject defending themselves.

Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    that prison time is still better than 'dirt nap' time?

Maybe thing will change...

ret
    I figured this would come up.............

Most of you have heard the Tony Martin story from the UK......farmer gets mad at being robbed over & over again, so when 2 miscriants show up AGAIN, he shots, killing one, wounding the second, with a shotgun....end result Martin goes to jail longer than the surviving bad guy.

Well, I think this helped bring 'home' the problem with their current laws....as a result, they may make some head way:

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news...3f7a8b29c9.lpf

A CAMBRIDGESHIRE MP is battling to get stronger rights for people who protect their homes from intruders.

"I believe that most people will agree that individuals should have the right to defend their home and family from intruders, and that this may, on occasions, require the use of force.

"The present wording of being allowed to use 'reasonable force' has resulted in some people being prosecuted when all they have done is to act in self-defence."
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    ...that prison time is still better than 'dirt nap' time?
    You beat me to it --they're deciding they'd rather be prosecuted than dead. And as my wife said, if enough of the decent folks arm and defend themselves, there won't be enough cells to put all of them in prison.

Assistant Administrator
    It seems there may be a sea change on the horizon - but hey - I have thought that before.

Things will only really change for the better, when the stupid Gov makes the felons the ones to prosecute and the victims deemed worthy of defending themselves.

Where I used to live - small town SW - there was at best one cop on duty - and the back-up if needed would have been several miles away. Lots of remote farms around the area. But heck, even in urban areas response times are not that fast so - there too a mandate for legitimate self defense is needed.

Just seems so crazy to have this bias, in favor of the criminal.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The question is if one of these poor chaps actually had to use the illegal handgun, would they be cleared for lawful self-defense and jailed for having the illegal gun like they would in Mass, NJ, or NY? I always remember the story of the woman in Mass who was raped by an intruder. He went into the kitchen to make a sandwich and returned to violate her again. She promptly pulled a pistol from under her bed and dispatched him. She was totally cleared on the self-defense, but put in prison for failing to register it in Mass. Gotta love Mass, NJ, NY and IL

Links