Getting back in after medical discharge

This is a discussion on Getting back in after medical discharge within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello everyone, I got medically discharged from the Army Reserves back in 2011 due to a small heart attack I had in 2010. I fought ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By A1C Lickey

Thread: Getting back in after medical discharge

Hello everyone, I got medically discharged from the Army Reserves back in 2011 due to a small heart attack I had in 2010. I fought it for over a year as I volunteered for a deployment to Afghanistan and was ready to go. Unfortunately when it happened that got cancelled out. Eventually they ended up giving me the medical discharge. Unfortunately when I lost my civilian job as a security manager I became desperate and tried the Air Force but they ended up medically disqualifying me.

Well now I am a lot better, my cardiologist has had me off the meds for a year and a half, no damage was done to my heart and I passed all my stress tests and blood tests. I am in better shape than most people my age. (I am 25)

Since I am taking classes at ATIC through my local community college I am looking into the Intel fields and MOS's. I have a Dr letter and blood test results which show I am fit and active.

What else can I do to help me get back in and overturn the medical disqualification?

Talk to a recruiter
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Not exactly how to word it or how to request one but you may want to request a waiver physical to requalify. Back when I was on active I went that route to pass a flight physical and apply for aircrew status.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Once you're disqualified from a branch those records are available to all branches- I was DQ'd trying to enlist because the MEPS doctor misread a medical report from a car accident I had in high-school. My recruiter pulled some strings and got me seen- the MEPS doctor called my old surgeon an idiot and signed off to reverse my DQ.

I was a private with a guy that had no left pectoral muscle and his left side was completely malformed- he got in with a congressional waiver. Anything is possible.

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar
    Best of luck to you in your efforts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I wish you all the best--however, I don't want to rain on your parade but feel that you should know the big picture-----the Army is about to go through a terrible RIF (Reduction In Force). They are looking for ways to downsize the force considerably--they are going to be kicking a lot of good folks to the curb.

But, hey go for it--it can't hurt to try. Just be aware that this is a tough time for mid-career NCOs and Officers (those with not enough time to retire, but have invested 12-17 years in)!!!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Good to hear something like that didn't set you back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

I will never tell anyone its not possible.

However, I'm trying to keep the people I have in the USAF (no medical profile, excellent PT scores), but the AF wants to release them from service. It will be very difficult to get past the medical re-screening to get back in. Big picture: the USAF wants to reduce the size of the force by ~25K...and has several programs to voluntarily and involuntarily separate Airmen.

Good luck.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    You will need to request a waiver and meet a medical evaluation board. My guess is it probably won't be approved.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The MOS is important- especially if you've been out for 4 years. If you had a in-demand MOS that is constantly in need of people then the branch might help you out and you may be in luck.

If you had a overfilled MOS that is downsizing then the branch won't help you as they're figuring out who to kick out.

If you're changing MOS then don't expect much help unless you're volunteering for a short handed (ie really bad) MOS.

Several people have mentioned it, and I hate to say it again, but we are already starting to downsize. It's becoming a zero mistake military, trying to get back in, especially after being found unfit for duty will be extremely difficult if not impossible. Your best bet is to get into the regulations.

Since you were medically discharged what is your VA and Army ratings? Has the VA re-evaluated your ratings? Were you separated, put on the TDRL or permanently retired?

But if that's what you really want, go for it and best of luck.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey View Post
    Several people have mentioned it, and I hate to say it again, but we are already starting to downsize. It's becoming a zero mistake military, trying to get back in, especially after being found unfit for duty will be extremely difficult if not impossible. Your best bet is to get into the regulations.

Since you were medically discharged what is your VA and Army ratings? Has the VA re-evaluated your ratings? Were you separated, put on the TDRL or permanently retired?

But if that's what you really want, go for it and best of luck.
    First of all thanks everyone for the responses, I feel my medical discharge was in part of the downsizing efforts. It wasn't even that bad of a heart attack and there were no blockages/damages. No known cause either but it did happen after I ripped into a Pvt for a bunch of stupid stuff.

I was never given any official ratings by the Army, all I received back from them was a discharge document stating I had been honorably discharged from the Army Reserve. I have not even received ratings from the VA. If I could find a way to blur out my personal identifying information I would post the document.

The National Guard might be easier to get into as a first step.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Sponsored Links