Defensive Carry banner

NSA Spying Through Angry Birds & Google Maps

4K views 64 replies 46 participants last post by  Patti 
#1 ·
#60 ·
Stuff like this is just one more excellent reason to NOT own carry or use a cell phone.

#8 ·
People that need to be watched, of course!

#9 ·
As a network engineer and software engineer, I can tell you without a doubt that if you use ANYTHING that accesses the internet, you can be tracked. Does that mean the government knows what you are doing? Not really. Why? Because you are lost in the mountains of data. Unless the government has a reason to be tracking you specifically, your information is just another drop in the ocean of data.

The ONLY real reason that we should care about this is that it is a violation of the Constitution and our 4th Amendment rights, not because the government is really spying on you.

#23 ·
This is ver accurate, but candidly only tells a small portion of the story. Credit card companies have for years compiled data on every credit card user in the US, and the data over time tells a lot more stories than most are aware of. I usually snicker a little when people complain about giving up personal - real privacy was gone a long time ago.

Over time, if you aggregate enough data, you will get patterns of behavior that even the individual is not aware of.

#10 ·
I've watched on Google Maps my childhood neighborhood go from many homes to none as the city turned it into a parking lot. Wonder what the NSA thinks I'm doing with that.

#19 ·
That's just what we know about.

Since "secret" stuff is generally 20-25 years old in many cases before the public even knows about it, there is no telling what they really have up their sleeve.

From molecular tracking devices that use the molecules that you breath and fart to track you, to impulse indicators that can read your heart rhythm like a fingerprint to pick you out of a large crowd, I'm sure that some of the new technology stuff is amazing.

#22 ·
Guess I better not break wind again.

#20 ·
#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
Targeting has long been the Holy Grail of advertisers. Back in the day they used to get all worked up over carrier route distribution of their junk mail. That is the sub-zip code level of mail. A zip code may contain desirable households but also less desirable ones. Weed out the undesirable, you pay less to get your message out. Fast forward to today where people unwittingly sign up for customer loyalty programs. There are companies that run these programs who set-up equipment within the stores to track you. Hey you're the idiot who gave them the key. You enter the store, they see a "friend", the GPS on your smartphone tracks your location within the store and monitors the time you spend in any given location. Five minutes in front of the Guess jeans location and odds are you're interested. Haven't bought yet. Send an e-coupon for 10% off Guess Jeans good for the next half hour. Bingo! The fish bites.

Now think how much money we could make if we had such information on everyone, not just our loyal customers. The only problem is, we don't have the resources let alone the authority to collect such data. If only there was a way, we'd pay good money for such a tool... Desperate people do bad things for money. Ignorant low skill people pull out a gun or knife and attempt to take it by force. Obviously there's a few problems with this approach. Our Federal government has an insatiable appetite for revenues but they can only squeeze so hard. If there was only a way to get some more money out of the citizens without them really knowing it, it wouldn't really harm anyone. Just wait until It, or one of its minions, say an Edward Snowdon, figures out a way to monetize the central repository the NSA has been collecting by selling it to corporations. Yes indeed folks, we are truly in trouble...

Save the tinfoil hat accusations: Nomi

Reactions: Aceoky and ccw9mm
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.