Small Sally Ports

This is a discussion on Small Sally Ports within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Why a city jail would have a Sally Port that can fit one vehicle at a time is beyond me. Just frustrating....

Like Tree12Likes
  • 4 Post By SIXTO
  • 1 Post By Hopyard
  • 2 Post By Jeanlouise
  • 1 Post By GWarden

Thread: Small Sally Ports

Small Sally Ports

Why a city jail would have a Sally Port that can fit one vehicle at a time is beyond me. Just frustrating.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Makes no sense to me. A Sally Port at a big prison would be in order though.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

What's a 'Sally Port'?
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    What's a 'Sally Port'?
    A set of interior and exterior gates creating a small enclosed space where vehicles can be inspected for contraband coming into or inmates attempting to leave the facility. The term comes from medieval times when knights would group in the sally port before sallying forth to attack the enemy.

Administrator
    Actually a one car sally port makes sense from a security standpoint. That way, they are sure to only take on what they can handle at any one time. One seems to be the number for them and how they're staffed. Or at least it was at the time of construction.

A few county jails I visit on a regular basis can hold a dozen or so in their sally ports, and its often chaos if there is one or more combative prisoners.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The jail is supposed to be doing some remodeling in a few months. Hopefully they will address the problem. It took me over an hour to get in. Most of the jails in the area, I'm in and out in about 20 to 30 min.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by GWarden View Post
    The jail is supposed to be doing some remodeling in a few months. Hopefully they will address the problem. It took me over an hour to get in. Most of the jails in the area, I'm in and out in about 20 to 30 min.
    But once inside, to they have intake suitable to handle the demand? If not, its a matter of waiting inside vs outside. I'll wait outside given a choice.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Police stations i have worked have a two or three car sally port and they are approx 10 or 15 thousand square foot buildings .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    The one and only time I worked briefly at a penitentiary the "sally port" was adequate for 1 large vehicle at a time (e.g., a semi-trailer) and only 1 was allowed in or out at a time. This wasn't a visitor's entrance, and was mostly used
    for bringing supplies in and out. The guards began work by observing from below ground level fortified bunkers with "glass"sufficiently low to see under a vehicle. If they deemed it safe to exit the bunker they inspected everything--- driver, passenger, visitors, under the truck, inside the truck bed, under the hood. Cons were known to try and escape by hiding in the engine compartment of 18 wheelers. Drivers were known to try to deliver contraband. Everything was scrutinized well.

We parked our van outside the gate, identified ourselves to the guard who then opened one end of the sally port, let us walk in, locked it in back of us. He then interrogated us, even though he knew exactly who we were and why we were there--- just the rules--- and when all the little boxes were checked the other end of the gate was opened.

We were not examined for contraband, but then we were "special visitors" not people there to visit with the prisoners, not there to perform any specific duties for the prison, and were invitees of the warden. Mingling with the prisoners was a hair raising experience. At any time they chose they could have killed the guards and the lot of us too. The only real security was a certainty that no matter what, they could not get out.

Three-4 hours was enough. I was quite impressed by the "friendly" manner between the guards and the cons, but at the same time everyone knew exactly what their place was, what they could and could not do.

That was an experience I'm glad I had, but once was enough.
    GWarden likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    A set of interior and exterior gates creating a small enclosed space where vehicles can be inspected for contraband coming into or inmates attempting to leave the facility. The term comes from medieval times when knights would group in the sally port before sallying forth to attack the enemy.
    I learn something new here every day.
    Last edited by Jeanlouise; January 31st, 2014 at 05:46 PM. Reason: took out an "e"
    welder516 and GWarden like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    But once inside, to they have intake suitable to handle the demand? If not, its a matter of waiting inside vs outside. I'll wait outside given a choice.
    I'll remain outside, given the choice.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The remodeling is supposed to include the inside as well. What it all is going to look like I don't know. The whole lay-out is outdated and the city knows it.

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    Police stations i have worked have a two or three car sally port and they are approx 10 or 15 thousand square foot buildings .
    Most of the ones I go to are just like that, if not larger. This city jail is just outdated and in need of a remake.
    welder516 likes this.

Links