Rocco Pittsburgh Police Dog Dies After Being Stabbed By Scumbag

This is a discussion on Rocco Pittsburgh Police Dog Dies After Being Stabbed By Scumbag within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, Rocco died at Pittsburgh Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center. So many people in Pittsburgh were hoping that he would somehow pull through following his ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Rocco Pittsburgh Police Dog Dies After Being Stabbed By Scumbag

Administrator

Post Rocco Pittsburgh Police Dog Dies After Being Stabbed By Scumbag

Well, Rocco died at Pittsburgh Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center. So many people in Pittsburgh were hoping that he would somehow pull through following his operation. Officer Phil Lerza his partner is understandably devastated.
    Rocco was an 8 year old German Shepard who was stabbed and mortally injured in Lawrenceville after being stabbed by John Rush a scumbag sex offender who was being arrested for warrants, probation violations & failing to register and a home invasion.
    Rush stabbed Rocco and also injured two Police officers. He was assisting in the capture 21-year-old dirtbag John Rush, of Stowe Township.
    The actions of Rocco in a dark basement forced dirtbag Rush to drop the knife.
    Rocco seemed like he was going to survive his first of two necessary operations where one damaged kidney was removed.
    The knife sliced through a large amount of of back muscle then penetrated another 3" and destroyed one kidney and chipped bone off of Rocco's spine.
    His condition was guarded and "hour by hour" and he seemed like he was recovering but, then suffered serious setbacks due to internal bleeding.
    Concerned citizens flocked to the Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center with their dogs to donate needed blood for Rocco. Dr. Anthony Pardo, a veterinary surgeon stated that they were averaging 10 call per hour from concerned citizens wanting to help. Transfusions for Rocco used one-and-a-half times his body blood volume.

Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto has released this statement on the passing of Rocco:

“I am saddened to learn about the passing of K9 Officer Rocco. He served this city faithfully and paid the ultimate price in the line of duty in service of the residents of our City. His brave actions very possibly spared the lives of two other officers. My thoughts and prayers are with his fellow officers and the entire Pittsburgh Police Bureau.”

Mayor Bill Peduto ordered flags to be flown at half-staff to mark the death.

Pittsburgh Steelers’ quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, whose foundation provides dogs for police departments, has issued this statement:

“Our condolences go out to Officer Phil Lerza in the loss of his partner Rocco. Canine Officer Rocco has faithfully served in the Pittsburgh Police Department for the last 8 years. It is unfortunate situations like this that keeps our foundation doing what it does and why we are so passionate about trying to help protect our law enforcement officers. Thank you Rocco for your service and dedication.”

A procession of flashing lights went past Rocco’s handler’s home before eventually making their way to the cemetery.

Following the death of Rocco a judge up the bail for Rush to 1 Million Dollars who will likely be facing third-ddegree felony charges for Rocco's death in addition to his other charges.

oneshot, 64zebra and welder516 like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

I heard about this earlier today. I know a few Pittsburgh police officers, and they were upset by this news. Rest in peace Rocco.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member
    Law enforcement is a dangerous profession for dogs and humans. Both sometimes pay the ultimate price for their valor. Rocco was a hero. Dogs are angels.
    QKShooter and ctr like this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Dogs give unconditionally and ask for nothing in return. I've known few humans who can equal my dog.

May Rocco rest in peace.

Administrator
    The parking lot at the Pittsburgh Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center was lined with Police vehicles. Six officers kept a vigil inside.

It seems that Rocco was much, much more than just a K-9 "working dog" - He was really loved by many PGH. Police officers.
    oneshot, welder516, ctr and 2 others like this.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Better the Dog than the Officer! That is why we train dogs. Just sayin..............
    QKShooter likes this.

As a dog lover with a GSD the story just rips my heart out. Thank you for the post, QKS.
    64zebra, QKShooter and oneshot like this.

I was curious, so I searched the Net for more news updates. Now, I'm not sure if it was a good idea. This is a tough one.

Pittsburgh K-9 officer Rocco to be laid to rest with full honors | www.wpxi.com
    QKShooter and 64zebra like this.

VIP Member
    That makes me want to cry.
    QKShooter likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

"Third degree felony" seems pretty light for murdering a police officer, even if it's a K-9.

I wonder if the folks "in the joint" have the same contempt for animal killers as they do for child abusers... one can only hope.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Some folks think any human life is worth more than a dog's. Sounds to me like this dog's life was worth MUCH more than that of the "human" that killed him.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    "Third degree felony" seems pretty light for murdering a police officer, even if it's a K-9.

I wonder if the folks "in the joint" have the same contempt for animal killers as they do for child abusers... one can only hope.
    Actually you are "spot on" and he is being held separated from other incarcerated folks at this time.

After reading the whole story I can not figure out why they did not shoot the moron.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Very sad story, and a side reminder exactly how lethal the silent and simple knife can be to a human as well.
    QKShooter and 64zebra like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member
    I grew up in Pittsburgh and still know a lot of people there. I actually saw a couple of posts on Facebook about this today, all extremely supportive. It is very sad, but the dog did do its job and no officers where hurt. At least that part of the story is good. RIP Rocco!
    QKShooter likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links