Threat to the power grid

Threat to the power grid

This is a discussion on Threat to the power grid within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After reading this story about a mysterious sniper attack on a power substation last year in California, I'm thinking it's time to stop putting off ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Threat to the power grid

Threat to the power grid

After reading this story about a mysterious sniper attack on a power substation last year in California, I'm thinking it's time to stop putting off buying that generator.
    http://complex.foreignpolicy.com/pos...litary-assault
    The pen may be mightier than the sword, but a .45 caliber sword on the right hip can come in pretty handy sometime.

Gas pumps are run off the grid. Myself I would be cutting wood for a wood stove if ur thinking abt staying warm....and get a manual pump for a water well for that need...myself I don't store up frozen foods anymore and don't keep much in the fridges cold part. I had a freezer go bad on me one time and I lost a bunch of frozen meat. Most folks now use packaged food to get by On if things turn bad for a week or two. Longer then that in a grid outage ur going to need the fuel for the gen just saying.....grid goes down start think primitive camping but have a house to sleep in. Cooking outside at a fire pit of sorts...
    NONAME762 and amendment4 like this.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

this doesn't need fuel though, if you got the coin...

http://www.wagan.com/index.php/produ...cube-1500.html

Anyone have any ideas on why something like that would be done? Its obviously not simple vandalism.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Anyone have any ideas on why something like that would be done? Its obviously not simple vandalism.
    "knocked out power and phones for whatever radius?" sounds like somebody pulled off some sort of "Ocean's Eleven" robbery, or...?
    StormRhydr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Dry run by the bad guys, to gauge how hard it was (= wasn't) to pull off, and to measure the response in terms of how long it took to correct the damage, and what the LE response was.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Kavalander View Post
    "knocked out power and phones for whatever radius?" sounds like somebody pulled off some sort of "Ocean's Eleven" robbery, or...?
    Honestly thats more in line with what I was thinking. That since it wasnt vandalism, and I just dont see foreign powers as likely to do that, that it there had be a rational explanation for it, and something like a robbery came to mind.

Is there a way to read the linked story without signing up for the site?
    StormRhydr and Aceoky like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

The power grid is the least of our worries. We survived for the most part as a nation where few to now had electric for longer than we have had it as a household thing.

Much bigger fish swimming in the pond than if the lights switch on or not. Trust our "betters" will have power, AC, gas, guns ammo food in great abundance.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member
    Sometimes I think a generator would be a good investment. But they are expensive to buy and require maintenance to be reliable. Storing fuel is a hassle and can be dangerous also. Our power is very reliable here, but that could change with severe weather. A fair sized genset and the switch gear could run $5K. How do those of you who have generators cope with the problems?
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

I'm a retired Power Company Technician and I guarantee you that if a person was committed to knocking out the Electricity for miles, they can do it in a million places a million different ways. So, since the OP lives in Florida I think firewood for heat is not a priority for him, but maybe for cooking in the Winter. A good propane BBQ grill can work too. I have a Franklin Stove in my Office with a cook top built in for frying pans or cooking pots.

I live in Texas and cooking in Summer on the hood of my pickup in the afternoon sun is a real fact. We have a large propane tank for firing the cooking duties if it's cloudy. The house and BBQ grills are all propane powered as is the house heat. I have wood for winter heat as a back up(last resort) and several solar panels and a wind generator for keeping the battery bank topped off. My generator runs on tri fuel. Either propane, butane or gasoline.

Ok, so let's address back up power!

A good generator is something you'll need more for refrigeration than lighting. But, a good 12 powered Engle or ARB Freezer would be handy. Especially if you diversify your power sources and add some Solar and Wind Generation to the mix. A good stack of batteries and three sources of charging and you can sleep without worry about the Local Power Grid being compromised.

But there is a problem. Depending on where you live, in the Country or inside the City your power backup systems are going to draw attention. Remember how solar panels and wind generators stick out like sore thumbs!

I suggest you add your automobile charging system into the mix and take advantage of being able to charge up your solar/ wind charged battery packs with it's engine also. An hour with a heavy duty alternator hook up on your pickup won't draw as much attention as a noisy generator running, but will use auto fuel. So cook with the hot engine manifold while you're charging the batteries.

I keep about 500 gallons of Diesel in the property for Pickup, Auto, and motorcycle fuel, but our transportation will run on WVO or WMO also. My 3/4 ton Dodge Diesel, and Diesel Trooper both have 100 amp alternators that can fill in as a battery chargers.

Plus a good 12 volt portable food freezer can double as camping equipment or grocery shopping duties. My wife and I live in the Country so our weekly trip into town for groceries is made easier by our 12 volt freezer, plugged into the back of the Wife's 4 Runner for our frozen food buys since it's almost an hour to the house. And I like my Ice Cream to stay COLD!!!! I've wired all my vehicles with extra power outlets to run our Engle should I need them to keep frozen food frozen on the rode.

Should I need to Bug Out of the Ranch , all my stuff can be tossed into one of my 7 trailers. Or three! I have 2 inch receiver trailer hitches welded onto the back of 3 of my trailers so I can pull a 4 trailer freight train if I have to. All wired for lighting and electric brakes too! And I've got the truck to pull them all too. 140 fuel tank in it to boot! Plus an additional AUX 300 gallon slid in. (Let's hope I never need all this!)

As you decide where to invest your cash for the worst possible scenario, I urge you also take versatility into the design. Also consider how loud your Generator is and where you are going to be running it, should all your neighbors be out of power also. They are going to insist you share! Seen it happen many times and it get's ugly quick.

Best Back Up Generator I ever saw was once ran across this Guy in Missouri that had installed a big one inside his basement and his exhaust went all the way through the house and exited the roof like a plumbing pipe. No way to see or hear it running. I think he said he had three car mufflers on it by the time it got outside. Totally silent from outside! He used flashlights at night he'd charged up on the generator during the day so as to not attract his neighbors attention at night. His generator was primarily used for his food refrigeration. A Smart Dude! And like I said I am retired from the Power Company, so I've worked a lot of Disaster Areas all over the Country in my 36 years with them.
    Power and Food are going to create the biggest battles for survival. Once all the Plasma TV and Air Jordans are looted that is!

Sorry for the Novel, but I thought I might shed some ideas on you guys as you prepare for the worst!
    ccw9mm, Aceoky, OD* and 3 others like this.
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

It's California, could be any number of religious, left-wing, right-wing, environmentalist or assorted other kooks.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Is there a way to read the linked story without signing up for the site?
    Worked for me at least.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

Captain Bellamy

Distinguished Member
    Weatherman (aka Weather Underground) -- Profile of Domestic Terrorism Group Weatherman

This group was founded in 1968 and bombed many places and things. They bombed several PG&E towers. The feds were not able to locate them and mysteriously three of the group were making bombs when they went off and killed them. the group then went way underground and story is they are still active. We think terrorism is recent. Not true we have had and still have many active groups.

A cash of explosives was found in Vallejo California on Easter night in 1977. This was part of the weatherman group storage.

Our electrical grid has almost no protection.

This group started at the University of Michigan disappointing it wasn't California I know.
    Aceoky, OD* and Caertaker like this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Me have club, spear, and cave. Me no need grid.
    LimaCharlie and StormRhydr like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    What people need to understand is that if you live in a "free" country, terrorism will always be a risk. You can't truly prevent terrorism without stepping on people's rights. So for our freedoms we have to accept certain risks. The risk of any single person being harmed in a terrorist attack is astronomical, so that part is not something I really worry about. Attacks on the infrastructure are something you should consider, but so has the companies that make money off of them. Yes, you can shut down the power in an area in countless ways, but the companies can also fairly quickly fix that damage and get the grid back up, just look at ice storms, they do way more damage than a attack could dream of and society doesn't fall about in the days or weeks it takes to get it back up and running.

Now should we all have supplies and be able to live off the grid for awhile? Sure, it is just good planning, but to obsess about it doesn't help.
    Sig 210, molleur and Sticks like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links