Reserve officer fired for carrying on school grounds...

This is a discussion on Reserve officer fired for carrying on school grounds... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ... while at his job as a building and grounds employee (janitor) at the school. Story here I'd lump him into the wannabe fan boy ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Reserve officer fired for carrying on school grounds...

... while at his job as a building and grounds employee (janitor) at the school.

Story here

I'd lump him into the wannabe fan boy category... but that's me...

Redacted the above line... the story was short enough on facts that I made an assumption... corrected by Mike below.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    ... while at his job as a building and grounds employee (janitor) at the school.

Story here

I'd lump him into the wannabe fan boy category... but that's me...
    The sheriff he works for doesn't share your view, apparently. He was carrying on the grounds when no students were present, and school was not in session. The superintendent believes him to be a guilty of a Class D felony, while the sheriff does not. He is an academy-trained, sworn LEO.
    Reserve officer loses job for carrying gun on school grounds | Local - Home
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

IMHO, in today's social "climate" any & all trained/sworn LEOs should be COMPELLED BY LAW to remained armed in ALL locales. More sheepdogs = fewer wolves.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    IMHO, in today's social "climate" any & all trained/sworn LEOs should be COMPELLED BY LAW to remained armed in ALL locales. More sheepdogs = fewer wolves.
    I would actually take that recommendation a few steps further.
    Echo_Four, Ghost1958 and Aceoky like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

My son's former principal was a Reserve LEO, I felt much better when he was there carrying. Unfortunately he is a great principal and got moved to another school that was struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The sheriff he works for doesn't share your view, apparently. He was carrying on the grounds when no students were present, and school was not in session. The superintendent believes him to be a guilty of a Class D felony, while the sheriff does not. He is an academy-trained, sworn LEO.
    Reserve officer loses job for carrying gun on school grounds | Local - Home
    Your story puts the whole thing in a different light... In Iowa... around here reserves are not fully academy trained... and not on duty as a Deputy would be.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    There seems something odd about the claim that LEO need school board approval to be armed in school.

Either State law there allows it or not, I would think, and it probably allows it. I can't imagine attempting to stop
    an officer during a chase through the school grounds because the school board didn't give particularized permission to that
    specific officer.

IF, and I think it is a big if, the fired guy actually has the same rights as any other LEO in that state, the school is
    off base.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    There seems something odd about the claim that LEO need school board approval to be armed in school.

Either State law there allows it or not, I would think, and it probably allows it. I can't imagine attempting to stop
    an officer during a chase through the school grounds because the school board didn't give particularized permission to that
    specific officer.

IF, and I think it is a big if, the fired guy actually has the same rights as any other LEO in that state, the school is
    off base.
    In reading the account I linked, the sheriff clearly believes it, even though he feels he has no status to intervene on his officer's behalf.
    William T. Sherman

When will the idiocy stop. If you don't trust an off-duty officer with a gun, who will you trust (especially since antis are generally the people saying, "only police should carry guns.").
    WannabeaCPA, ccw9mm and Ghost1958 like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I do not know anyone around here stupid enough it say anything or make a fuss about a sworn LEO in any place at any time carrying a firearm, unless they were around some high security Federal facility. People we just have to have some basic level of reason. He being a know officer and at one time payed to patrol the school grounds, were is the big suprise.... Oh no, HE HAS A GUN.

Wouldn't LEOSA cover the legality of this? He's a sworn officer with a badge and a gun- reservists are protected under that law.

Quote Originally Posted by 19Kvet View Post
    Wouldn't LEOSA cover the legality of this? He's a sworn officer with a badge and a gun- reservists are protected under that law.
    They still have to follow State and Federal Law,just like LEO's have to disarm when visiting the Post Office off duty even in uniform,or going to the VA
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

We've completely surrendered the schools to our enemies.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

The Superintendent needs termination with prejudice.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 19Kvet View Post
    LEOSA Does Not Exempt on School Grounds :: Blue Sheepdog

The Federal Gun Free School Zones Act of 1995, Title 18 §922(q), does not provide an exemption for the off-duty possession of firearms on school grounds by police officers under the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act.

It is a violation of federal law for an off-duty LEOSA-qualified sworn officer to carry a gun within a school zone, which is defined in §921(a)(25) as “in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school” or “within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.”

This does not affect on-duty police officers. Section §922(q)(2)(B)(vi) allows firearm carry “by a law enforcement officer acting in his official capacity.”
    Not that I agree with what happened here, but you asked about LEOSAs relevance.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links