Wholesale medals of honor?

Wholesale medals of honor?

This is a discussion on Wholesale medals of honor? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't know what to make of this. The order to review these cases was part of military funding... So, it's kind of apolitical... But ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Wholesale medals of honor?

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array oakchas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,412

    Wholesale medals of honor?

    I don't know what to make of this.

    The order to review these cases was part of military funding... So, it's kind of apolitical...

    But Zero is going to award a bunch of Congressional Medals of Honor... To vets from WWII, Korea, and Vietnam...

    I wish it was anybody but him. I don't deny the valor of the recipients, but the group distribution of the medals by "the current occupant" seems to "cheapen" the honor.

    Story (for mobile but may work on desktop): AP News : Obama to award Medal of Honor to 24 Army veterans

    This was posted from my mobile device, links may be for mobile... Deal with it!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose


  2. #2
    Senior Member Array CWOUSCG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Left Coast
    Posts
    922
    I can not disagree with you more. This corrects a wrong that pre-dates most of us and should be seen as such. The President Of the United States of America is presenting 24 Heroes the Congressional Medal of Honor.

    At times events transcend politics, this is one of those times. Congratulations to the Heroes still among us and God Bless those who have passed.

  3. #3
    VIP Member Array oakchas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,412
    Quote Originally Posted by CWOUSCG View Post
    I can not disagree with you more. This corrects a wrong that pre-dates most of us and should be seen as such. The President Of the United States of America is presenting 24 Heroes the Congressional Medal of Honor.

    At times events transcend politics, this is one of those times. Congratulations to the Heroes still among us and God Bless those who have passed.
    I don't disagree with you. It is a wrong that should be corrected. I said the mechanism which got these overdue medals was apolitical (without politics).

    I'm sorry though, I do have an issue with the presenter. I wish it were anybody but him.

    He is the commander in chief, he is the president of the United States. And, he is the consummate politician. Now, our history books will reflect that Barack Obama gave out more medals of honor than any other president.

    That, to me, is a crying shame.



    This was posted from my mobile device, links may be for mobile... Deal with it!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

  4. #4
    Senior Member Array CWOUSCG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Left Coast
    Posts
    922
    Do not cheapen this with petty politics.

  5. #5
    VIP Member Array StormRhydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Music City, USA
    Posts
    3,107
    I actually have the opposite concerns for the iraq & afghan wars. There seem to have been way too few issued. During the bush years it was next to none. I honestly dont know what its been under obama.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

  6. #6
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,651
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    I actually have the opposite concerns for the iraq & afghan wars. There seem to have been way too few issued. During the bush years it was next to none. I honestly dont know what its been under obama.
    A total of twelve, if this is up to date:
    IAVA - Hall of Heroes: Medal of Honor | Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

  7. #7
    Ex Member Array Longstreet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Zero is going to award a bunch of Congressional Medals of Honor... To vets from WWII, Korea, and Vietnam...

    I wish it was anybody but him. I don't deny the valor of the recipients, but the group distribution of the medals by "the current occupant" seems to "cheapen" the honor.
    I completely understand your frustration. I too wish it were someone, anyone, other than the current loser in the CiC role. I hope the Kenyan is doing it for honorable reasons and I am happy for the heroes who will be honored.
    msgt/ret and gatorbait51 like this.

  8. #8
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,651
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I don't disagree with you. It is a wrong that should be corrected. I said the mechanism which got these overdue medals was apolitical (without politics).

    I'm sorry though, I do have an issue with the presenter. I wish it were anybody but him.

    He is the commander in chief, he is the president of the United States. And, he is the consummate politician. Now, our history books will reflect that Barack Obama gave out more medals of honor than any other president.

    That, to me, is a crying shame.



    This was posted from my mobile device, links may be for mobile... Deal with it!
    Four hundred sixty four of them were awarded for WWII actions, one hundred thirty six for Korea, and two hundred forty six for Vietnam, so I doubt it the two dozen or so he will have awarded will put him anywhere close to the distinction you have mentioned.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

  9. #9
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,963
    Quote Originally Posted by CWOUSCG View Post
    I can not disagree with you more. This corrects a wrong that pre-dates most of us and should be seen as such. The President Of the United States of America is presenting 24 Heroes the Congressional Medal of Honor.
    Well, that's the real question: is it the Congressional medal, or not?

    Seems clear to me that if it's Congress's responsibility and authority, that they'd be the ones doing it. Or, is this news story just yet another news item designed to dredge up the fears of unilateral Pres action in defiance of Congress?
    gatorbait51 and Mardet65 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  10. #10
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,651
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Well, that's the real question: is it the Congressional medal, or not?

    Seems clear to me that if it's Congress's responsibility and authority, that they'd be the ones doing it. Or, is this news story just yet another news item designed to dredge up the fears of unilateral Pres action in defiance of Congress?
    Congressional Medal of Honor is a misnomer. It is the Medal of Honor, presented by the president on behalf of the congress.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

  11. #11
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Congressional Medal of Honor is a misnomer. It is the Medal of Honor, presented by the president on behalf of the congress.
    Exactly.

    Which is why I'm questioning the whole premise of that article and it being presented as a "news" write-up ... as though it's any great surprise that the President does the strapping-on of such medals.
    gatorbait51 and Mardet65 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  12. #12
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,651
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Exactly.

    Which is why I'm questioning the whole premise of that article and it being presented as a "news" write-up ... as though it's any great surprise that the President does the strapping-on of such medals.
    You are right. The tone would lead the reader to believe this action comes at Obama's behest, rather than as a result of the Congressional order given in 2002.
    gatorbait51 and Mardet65 like this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

  13. #13
    Distinguished Member
    Array manolito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Milford California
    Posts
    1,268
    I don't care who sits in the Whitehouse the Medal of Honor is next to no other earned achievement in my book. Welcome home and may you spend your days in peace.

    Congratulations and my undying respect to each of you.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Array SigIsTheAnswer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    740
    I have some thoughts. Those men deserve those medals and all the recognition we can lavish them. Being deployed I was loaded with vest and armor. Imagine if you will, standing in the tall grass with bombs going off and climbing a slight hill with a machine gun nest on it wearing nothing but a wool shirt and a rifle with 4 extra clips. (yes clips for the Garand) That makes what I did very small, not to take away from the heros of my generation( which there are many). I was armored, loaded with the days most advanced tech. Had the best medicine if wounded. These men made war with literally the shirts on their back. And did it as fearlessly as possible. When they were labeled the GREAtest Generation I fully believe it. Just watch some of the history channel specials like Battle 360. I watched the entire Enterprise series. That vessel and its whole crew performed like no other. The ship literally carried America through the Pacific Theatre. What I am saying here is politics be damned when honoring these EXEMPLARS of what Americans of this generation should try their damndest to emulate. And don't get me started on the Korean War. It isn't called the Forgotten War for nothing. These men deserve praise and I don't care who gives them their medal. Give them Victory Parades to rival that of Ancient Rome.

  15. #15
    VIP Member Array Kennydale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
    Posts
    3,646
    I just hope that class prevails and it doesn't become a Photo-Op about the POTUS. These American Heroes deserve the recognition.
    msgt/ret and gatorbait51 like this.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

number of of honor medal issued to us vets

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors