LEOs Tools Used To Monitor Civilan Phones

This is a discussion on LEOs Tools Used To Monitor Civilan Phones within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Apparently its not only the NSA monitoring civilian phone calls. "Since 2004, Harris has earned more than $40 million from spy technology contracts with city, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: LEOs Tools Used To Monitor Civilan Phones

LEOs Tools Used To Monitor Civilan Phones

Apparently its not only the NSA monitoring civilian phone calls. "Since 2004, Harris has earned more than $40 million from spy technology contracts with city, state, and federal authorities in the US, according to procurement records." I'm not trying to stir up any dirt but I thought some might be interested in seeing "the mobile phone surveillance technology that has been deployed in the US over the past decade" and didn't quite know where to stick it. Meet the machines that steal your phone?s data | Ars Technica

The ACLU (not my favorite institution) is trying to shine some light on this issue and has file motion for public access of sealed court records. A rather interesting short read can be found here: https://www.aclu.org/blog/national-s...courts-because

The beat goes on:
    glockstar likes this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

2. Remove Ads

1. This is not new at all. So I do not understand the hype
    2. Most devices used by LE need a warrant to authorize use; unlike the equipment used by NSA and others in the IC
    3. The equipment described and other equipment has been shown ar trade shows around the country for years.
    4. Don't beleive everything your read in an article about capabilities, users, and other such things.
    5. This is just another extenison of LE using devices for investigations, same as wiretapping of landline phones and CALEA (which is not new either)
    Echo_Four, oscar1 and kb2wji like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Consider your sources before believing something and also before posting on an Internet forum.... There is no Earth-shattering news here.
    oscar1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    1. This is not new at all. So I do not understand the hype
    2. Most devices used by LE need a warrant to authorize use; unlike the equipment used by NSA and others in the IC
    3. The equipment described and other equipment has been shown ar trade shows around the country for years.
    Many aren't aware of the technology or how far it has come, as datacomm and security precautions have changed.

Don't see any "hype" here, really, other than presenting some info some folks might be unaware of.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; March 5th, 2014 at 12:21 PM. Reason: grammar
    glockstar and Patti like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    1. This is not new at all. So I do not understand the hype.
    It makes for great "The Sky Is Falling" threads.
    kb2wji, mook012, SCXDm9 and 1 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Longstreet View Post
    Consider your sources before believing something and also before posting on an Internet forum.... There is no Earth-shattering news here.
    No it's not earth shattering news since anyone paying attention to this stuff has known about it for some time. Ars isn't exactly a terrible source either. It's typically pretty good about scientific and technological releases/discoveries.
    nortelrye and Aceoky like this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Yeah, the fact that we seem to be losing our rights to privacy, and other rights, is not news at all. It's been slowly happenening for years, and that's how that works, slowly but surely you're acclimated and conditioned to a "bigger purpose" by taking several seemingly innocuous baby steps in that direction. Before you know it all has changed for the worse and nobody did a damn thing about it.
    glockstar and msgt/ret like this.

Harris communications is like all DOD contractors they smell the war drying up and are moving the technology into the private sector. The police have had the technology to ping a location for a while. Yes some know I think you guys are overlooking the new technology. This is not location this is a device that fools the phone into believing it is a tower and releases text messages and phone numbers without a warrant and the Florida police have been using it without disclosing to the judge what they used. This device is a new round of technology developed to find the terrorist calling a phone to set of an IED.

Harris corporation has required a non disclosure be signed before they loan the equipment to law enforcement and they do not allow the device to be purchased to date anyway.

Then again maybe you all know this and I am the one that thinks it is new technology. Stinger or stingray I think is the name of the device.

If this is technology you know about and police have been using it pass on an article or some info so I can get caught up.

Last I heard StingrayII was around 180K and then you needed 22K software and the cable alone were around 1K Kingfish was an economical new version being discussed. I have been retired for a while so very possible I am the only one out of the loop on this stuff but old information I don't think so.
    Aceoky likes this.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Does this mean I need more bullets?

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It makes for great "The Sky Is Falling" threads.

Doesn't bother me a bit, my cell is used only when I've fallen and can't reach my beer.
    oscar1, Longstreet, Patti and 5 others like this.

VIP Member
    Ditto. They listen in on my cell number and they're getting a lot of dead air.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

in the early '90s you could by a high end scanner that would pick up those old analog cell phone frequencies. It was pretty entertaining at times.

Kinda like some of the posts....
    Aceoky and glockman10mm like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Don't you mean hot air?
    NONAME762, Aceoky and Patti like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Kinda like some of the posts....
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Don't you mean hot air?
    No Christmas cards for you two! Dead, as in never on.
    64zebra likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links