.300 blackout, is it really a valid replacement for 5.56 for the military?

This is a discussion on .300 blackout, is it really a valid replacement for 5.56 for the military? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ballistically it tends to do better out of a shorter barrel than 5.56. However, I'm still skeptical about it. Is it possible that the military ...

Like Tree16Likes
  • 1 Post By maxwell97
  • 3 Post By buckeye .45
  • 1 Post By SwordMaster
  • 4 Post By tacman605
  • 3 Post By Dabster
  • 4 Post By Exacto

Thread: .300 blackout, is it really a valid replacement for 5.56 for the military?

Question .300 blackout, is it really a valid replacement for 5.56 for the military?

Ballistically it tends to do better out of a shorter barrel than 5.56. However, I'm still skeptical about it. Is it possible that the military could go to 300 blk anytime soon? I keep seeing articles praising it, even though it seems like an obscure round and I haven't heard much about it before.

2. Remove Ads

I don't know much about the ballistics, but realistically I don't think the 5.56 is going anywhere. There's too much investment in it, in the US and with all of our allies.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

My guess it will be ether 6.5 or 6.8 that are in use .. Both have be tested but I think right now the money is not there for a new round ( seeing the stockpiles of 5.56 out there ) ... We are more then likly stuck with 5.56 till they go caselist or energy weapon bassed ..

Maybe spec ops will use on them esp silenced but the grunt no
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Probably not on a large scale.

5.56 has a better trajectory, with less bullet drop, at distance.

While there is a fair amount of MOUT in unconventional warfare, I don't think you are going to see the sacrifice in the ability to reach out with a standard service rifle that the .300 would bring.

And that isn't even getting into the logistical issues involved.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    From what I have seen, the .300 is not even being considered by the military.

The past decade of Low Intensity Conflicts has changed a lot of beliefs about warfare, however, the recent events in western Europe may return a focus on High Intensity Conflicts to the military- so who knows.

It would be highly unlikely due to the NATO acceptence of the 5.56. For the US to change its primary rifle's caliber we would have to overcome a lot of international resistance due the cost of changing their firearms to match as well. Even withing the US, you would see sister services arguing over each other about the cost of implementing a new cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    My guess it will be ether 6.5 or 6.8 that are in use .. Both have be tested but I think right now the money is not there for a new round ( seeing the stockpiles of 5.56 out there ) ... We are more then likly stuck with 5.56 till they go caselist or energy weapon bassed ..

Maybe spec ops will use on them esp silenced but the grunt no
    From what I understand it is popular in the spec ops community due to the larger bullet size and the ability to go subsonic (which is not an easy feat for a rifle). It will never go mainsteam in the military however. Just look at how much rouble they're having choosing an "official" camo pattern for the army. Bureaucracy is a cancer.
    DetChris likes this.

VIP Member
    As others have stated we will have the 5.56 for a long time as it would require not only us but NATO to switch calibers which is not feasible.

The .300 would probably chosen over any other caliber simply due to the compatibility with the M4 platform, a simple replacement barrel is all that is needed. I went and asked the Weapons Sergeant about the 6.8/6.5 and other than knowing about the caliber he was aware of no units actually fielding the weapons or plans to. There was some testing done but I do not believe it ever went anywhere.

We will have the M4/M-16 platform for a long time most likely as it sits now. In the weapons trials to replace the M4 even the SCAR-16 offered no real improvement over the M4 so it was dropped. There may be minor add on's but no major changes.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Last week I learned that my state may be legalizing short barreled rifles soon. This video has been going through my head all weekend...

Just because the military can't afford to switch, Doesn't mean we can't!

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Full power 123 grain ammunition matches the ballistics of the 7.62x39mm AK, has 37% more energy than 5.56mm M855, and 9% more than 6.8 SPC TAP 110. In fact, from a 9 inch barrel, the 300BLK has more muzzle energy than 5.56mm M855 from a 16 inch barrel. When 300 BLK is used in a 16 inch barrel, it has 23% more energy than 5.56mm M855 from a 16 inch barrel – with much higher-mass projectiles for a more dramatic effect on the target. Or choose subsonic cartridges for optimal use with a sound suppressor – 220 grain Sierra OTM (open-tip match) bullets vastly outperforms a 9mm MP5-SD in penetration and long range accuracy.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Senior Member Array SigIsTheAnswer's Avatar
    So you are saying to get an AR chambered for 7.63x39
    Sig Sauer P516, Sig Sauer P229 Scorpion, Diamondback DB-15, Beretta PX4 Storm compact, S&W Bodyguard .380, FN Five SeveN 5.7.

Semper

I had a similar thread about what's next for the AR-15...

What's next for the AR platform?

What I deduced is the 300 blackout may have limited application in close range and urban combat. It basically behaves like an AK-47 round but out of the AR platform. Under 200 yards it hits hard and accurately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Links