Soldiers in battle and hearing protection?

This is a discussion on Soldiers in battle and hearing protection? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Do men and women in battle wear any type of hearing protection?...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Soldiers in battle and hearing protection?

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

Do men and women in battle wear any type of hearing protection?
    Things gun forums have taught me:
    -Some people shoot guns other "run" them.
    -I don't dislike Glocks but often dislike Glock owners.
    -Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!
    -Simple math can deliver posts per day... some gun forum members need to get out more!!!

Some wear electronic earpro/radio headsets, most dont. I didn't know anyone that wore regular ear plugs. Hard to make use of all your senses on dismounted patrol with your ears plugged and the radio headsets get hot and uncomfortable after awhile. I tried using them for a bit but I just couldn't get used to them.

That's my experience on the matter anyways.
    USM1976 and Parrisk like this.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Thanks... I can't imagine not having ear protection but I couldn't imagine how they could and be able to communicate as well.
    USM1976 likes this.
    Things gun forums have taught me:
    -Some people shoot guns other "run" them.
    -I don't dislike Glocks but often dislike Glock owners.
    -Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!
    -Simple math can deliver posts per day... some gun forum members need to get out more!!!

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    The way I look at it you're doing very good if you live to suffer from tinnitus. My buddy at the VA said they don't even investigate tinnitus claims from infantry soldiers. They just process them and start sending a check every month. While waste in government makes my blood boil, I've got no problem with that policy.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    My dad was WWII and Korean age, he was not issued ear protection. My cousins who fought in Viet Nam were issued ear plugs but as above were not encouraged to use them. My son who spent time in Afghanistan was issued earplugs and was expected to use them during battles, but not on patrol. I was a teenager before I ever saw anyone use ear protection of any kind. I use the electronic headphones that block out noise over a certain DB level, and allow me to turn up the level so that I can hear cars pull up in the parking area behind me. DR

Distinguished Member
    Never issued any, never used any.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

I think the electronic sets would have been fine for short missions of a few hours or so but when you're out for days, weeks, and even months they just aren't practical to wear around at all times. If keeping them around for use in firefights only you'd have to take off your helmet to put them on.

A set of plugs around your neck to be put in during the first lull in fighting would probably be the best way to go about it...we just never did.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Seems like the military would have invested in custom electronic earplugs by now. I think they retail in the $300 range, if I'm not mistaken.

Distinguished Member
    Never issued any never used any. Vietnam and my ears were a very real part of staying alive.

Today we try to remove every risk there is no matter how small. Reality is risk is part of life and war is a very risky business.
    tdave, OkSlim and WHEC724 like this.

Distinguished Member
    Never was issued any and never used any.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

When I was in Viet Nam, they issued us the rubber ear plugs. The drill was reaching over the top of your head with the opposite hand and pulling up on your ear while inserting the ear plug for proper fit.
    Calvito and Parrisk like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    Thanks... I can't imagine not having ear protection but I couldn't imagine how they could and be able to communicate as well.
    Hand signals and learning to talk/yell loudly.. and for the juniors learing how to read your superior without hearing what they say..

By the time I retired from the Army in 2002 there is strict adhearance to hearing protection while in garrison and during training...
    Most crew members of vehicles with large caliber weapons (tanks, bradleys, etcc.) have primitive hearing protection built into their headgear.

But that didn't help my ears from years of working on Tanks and other vehicles. Working on running engines, with little or no exhaust system and no hearing protection.

My tinnitus somedays is hard to hear over, hard to fall asleep with.. Constantly deal with my wife saying "Why do you talk so loud!?!"
    manolito likes this.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    When I was in Viet Nam, they issued us the rubber ear plugs. The drill was reaching over the top of your head with the opposite hand and pulling up on your ear while inserting the ear plug for proper fit.
    ROFL... yep I still find myself doing that when inserting even foam earplugs when around loud stuff ... non-vets give you the deer in the headlight look..
    Recon1342 and LimaCharlie like this.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    When I served Combat MP duty OIF Iraq 2003 we didn't have hearing protection AND when we had to do any range practice we were told to do the best we could in finding paper or whatever we could find to try and plug up our ears. I did the best I could with what I could find but it didn't appear to make any difference. What? What'd you say???
    So far todate my hearing tests are fine but I don't know if it'll cause any problems for me in the future.
    For God, Family and Country!

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I forgot all about that maneuver, thanks for the memory :-)
    Yeah, in '68 we were issued ear plugs in a clear plastic pill bottle, screw top secured with a beaded chain. Used them in training but never in Nam.
    Hoganbeg and LimaCharlie like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links