Good or Bad Shoot? Officers shoot man after he pulls knife, they were there to

This is a discussion on Good or Bad Shoot? Officers shoot man after he pulls knife, they were there to within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; remove him from the area because he was camping with no permit....

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Taurahe
  • 2 Post By Echo_Four
  • 1 Post By OutWestSystems
  • 1 Post By OutWestSystems
  • 1 Post By farsidefan1

Thread: Good or Bad Shoot? Officers shoot man after he pulls knife, they were there to

Good or Bad Shoot? Officers shoot man after he pulls knife, they were there to

remove him from the area because he was camping with no permit.

2. Remove Ads

Necessary... maybe but maybe not. we were not their to assess the situation. Would I have pulled the trigger.... without being there I cannot say. However, keep in mind he had already brandished a weapon. when he turned, how do the officers no he isnt going for a gun? are they supposed to wait and be shot before they can react? I have always been of the opinion that once you show hostile agression, you are a threat. If you force my hand, I will shoot you. The officers took necessary actions that were based on the situatiion as it unfolded, I dont think there is enough info to make a solid assessment. Do you have a news article to go with this video? Some form of documentation that explains the story better? I assure you, your title is misleading unintentionally. Heavily armed officers are not going to be dispatched into any area to remove a homeless guy without a camping permit. Think about for a second... is MUltiple officers with tactical gear, m4 rifles, less than lethal weapons, stun/smoke grenades, a k9 unit and god knows what else really going to go after a homeless guy..... not on your life. Now, if the said person was suspected of a violent crime or was manufacturing meth or doing other serious dirty deeds.... then the answer would be yes. Dont believe everything you hear....
    USM1976 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Already running in two other threads.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    At that distance a man with a knife is a threat to the lives of those officers. It sucks that someone lost their life, but you can't expect the officers to decide that their life is worth less than the idiot brandishing a weapon.
    Taurahe and Longstreet like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Necessary... maybe but maybe not. we were not their to assess the situation. Would I have pulled the trigger.... without being there I cannot say. However, keep in mind he had already brandished a weapon. when he turned, how do the officers no he isnt going for a gun? are they supposed to wait and be shot before they can react? I have always been of the opinion that once you show hostile agression, you are a threat. If you force my hand, I will shoot you. The officers took necessary actions that were based on the situatiion as it unfolded, I dont think there is enough info to make a solid assessment. Do you have a news article to go with this video? Some form of documentation that explains the story better? I assure you, your title is misleading unintentionally. Heavily armed officers are not going to be dispatched into any area to remove a homeless guy without a camping permit. Think about for a second... is MUltiple officers with tactical gear, m4 rifles, less than lethal weapons, stun/smoke grenades, a k9 unit and god knows what else really going to go after a homeless guy..... not on your life. Now, if the said person was suspected of a violent crime or was manufacturing meth or doing other serious dirty deeds.... then the answer would be yes. Dont believe everything you hear....
    After the stun grenade they could have went straight to less than lethal guns they had, one officer had two of them. Obviously the grenade didn't work, so immediately follow it up with the bean bags.

They fired bean bags after he was already down FOHWTBS! It was no point after that.

I'll fire also if I have to but come on now especially after the grenade toss.

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    Already running in two other threads.
    What sub forum.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Well guess this one can be merged or closed.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExaltedOne View Post
    After the stun grenade they could have went straight to less than lethal guns they had, one officer had two of them.
    No such animal as "less than lethal", the correct term is "less lethal", meaning that it is less likely to be lethal than being shot, but it can still be lethal. I really wish the "news" would learn the correct term.
    Echo_Four likes this.

To me the guy was to far off to be a threat with a knife. But then again as bad of a shot these guys were maybe it was a lethal situation.

Quote Originally Posted by TDH1961 View Post
    To me the guy was to far off to be a threat with a knife. But then again as bad of a shot these guys were maybe it was a lethal situation.
    From what I read in one of the various news reports he was approximately eight feet from the K-9 handler when he pulled the knife.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    From what I read in one of the various news reports he was approximately eight feet from the K-9 handler when he pulled the knife.
    Someone eight feet from me and pulls a knife, he is getting shot.
    Echo_Four likes this.

Mentally challenged homeless people are a fact of life. Many don't want to be institutionalized. I don't know if this guy was one but regardless, if a guy pulls a knife on a cop from 8 feet it is a "good shooting". Sorry but that is the truth.

A note on the 21 foot rule. The test was with the gun holstered. If you perceive the threat and already have weapon in hand and ready the 21 foot rule is out the window. 21 feet is the time it takes to recognize the threat, draw and fire (and get cut ).
    Echo_Four likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Already running

Links