Any Current or Former Army Personel

This is a discussion on Any Current or Former Army Personel within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My daughter is thinking of enlisting as a 35P. Was looking for some insight into the job. Thanks....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Any Current or Former Army Personel

My daughter is thinking of enlisting as a 35P. Was looking for some insight into the job.

Thanks.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    As an AF puke, I had to look it up. Looks good for possible gov't employment afterwards if nothing else. I was originally offered something along that line but didn't want to end up sitting in a windowless room in Berlin wearing headsets and listening to radio traffic all day (or night, would be able to tell).
    Longstreet and gatorbait51 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Her plan is to get into the CIA/FBI after she graduates college. She's passed all the tests required to get into the language school and is one smart cookie. She will be graduating high school this year. Her first choice was the AF but they required her to enlist prior to taking any tests and wouldn't give her a contract.
    gatorbait51 and Grantspastor like this.

Distinguished Member
    As a cryptologist (If I remember right that's what it is) she would be getting some great training and experience. Working not only with communications but mapping also. It would give her a good outlook whenever she decided to get out.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

That's what I was thinking. Cryptologic Linguist is what it is. Add to that the $40,000 sign on bonus plus what they will pay for college after her 6 yrs are up it sounds pretty good.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Sorry I was a thug with a badge (MP) can't help much with that Army wise. If she wants employment by CIA/FBI she should contact their respective recruiter and see what they want, what are their hiring projections etc. You may be surprised. Do not join the military thinking it will pave the way to some exotic job. There are millions of former military.
    gatorbait51 and 5lima30ret like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    Sorry I was a thug with a badge (MP) can't help much with that Army wise. If she wants employment by CIA/FBI she should contact their respective recruiter and see what they want, what are their hiring projections etc. You may be surprised. Do not join the military thinking it will pave the way to some exotic job. There are millions of former military.
    It is, however, a great way to gain responsibility and job experience you wouldn't get anywhere else, especially in the NCO/officer ranks... how well does she play Magic: The Gathering? I've never known an MI/SC type who couldn't kick some serious ass at that game, LOL.

Unfortunately, I can't speak to that specific job. Best of luck to her, though.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

The recruiter for the FBI we spoke with said that those with military service in that particular field are looked at first. How much of that is true I'm not sure. It's a pretty specialized field and she would already have the top secret clearance.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Sounds like a great deal, especially if she can get them to cover some of the ed expenses. I'd sooner spend my tax dollars that way than with a host of "shovel-ready" projects or other gummint programs.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Sounds like a great deal, especially if she can get them to cover some of the ed expenses. I'd sooner spend my tax dollars that way than with a host of "shovel-ready" projects or other gummint programs.
    If she enlists, she'll have Tuition Assistance throughout her term of service (highly recommend using to get started on a degree), and the post-9/11 GI Bill (I'd advise not to touch that until after ETS; it'll be more effectively applied that way. If you complete a BS or BA on active duty, you can still put it toward a Masters afterward).

Just a caveat: what the FBI is looking for now may not be what they're looking for in X years. You're looking at 3, 4 years at a minimum- a lot can change in that time. Then again, so may her plans...
    gatorbait51 and Butterdog like this.

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    any kid that learns arabic/persian(farsi) or chinese can write their own ticket in govt or international biz.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterdog View Post
    Her plan is to get into the CIA/FBI after she graduates college. She's passed all the tests required to get into the language school and is one smart cookie. She will be graduating high school this year. Her first choice was the AF but they required her to enlist prior to taking any tests and wouldn't give her a contract.
    The AF doesn't have to wheel & deal like some of the other services do to get people to join. Sometimes it works out to the benefit of both parties, sometimes not. If she gets into what she wants, it will be good experience should she wish to continue in that field.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterdog View Post
    That's what I was thinking. Cryptologic Linguist is what it is. Add to that the $40,000 sign on bonus plus what they will pay for college after her 6 yrs are up it sounds pretty good.
    That's nuts. When I joined, I even had to pay for my haircut at basic--out of my $85 paycheck.

mkh
    I was. 95B (MP) and the went to DLIFLC FOR 10 months to Learn German. But that was 30 years ago.

I can tell you that DLI is an immersive experience. We were getting 7 hours of class a day and the 3-4 hours of homework and memorization each night.

We started with 51 people in our class spread over 3 instructors 10 months later there were 13 of us still standing. At that time in 1980 the school had a 15% passing rate - it won't be easy but it is a great experience.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    That's nuts. When I joined, I even had to pay for my haircut at basic--out of my $85 paycheck.
    I had to do that to. I think my pay in basic was 115.00 a month and we had to go through a line. Pay for haircut, buy savings bonds, send money home and other things I can't remember.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links