Questions about Marine RE code

This is a discussion on Questions about Marine RE code within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I work with a young man that we just hired and he asked a favor of me. He is recently discharged out of the Marines ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Questions about Marine RE code

Questions about Marine RE code

I work with a young man that we just hired and he asked a favor of me. He is recently discharged out of the Marines with an Honorable discharge but with a RE 3C code on his discharge papers. He proceeded to explain the situation that he was involved in that led to this RE code and while he readily admits to this situation being his responsibility he would like to have this removed from his record and he thought he could do this if he signed up with a reserve unit and completed his contract in the active reserves. The offense happened on his 21st birthday and resulted in loss of 1 grade and some extra duty and since that time he managed to regain his grade as well as another one. He has letters from his NCOs as well as Officers he served under touting his service as well as service medals from Afghanistan. He is an extremely good kid and an excellent worker in his current job and I would be happy knowing he was walking the line protecting our Country from the bad guys. He talked to his Gunny who contacted the reserve unit and they were quite ready to allow him to join the unit but this was rejected by Marine headquarters. His favor of me was to ask if I would help him draft a letter to our Congressman seeking help to get him into the unit as this was advice from a friend that is in the unit.

Sorry for the long winded explanation but I would like to find out if this is even possible and if that would would be a good way to help him out. I have been out of the military for 45 years so I am not sure how he should proceed and thought I would ask some the Military guys on the board what they thought. I believe in this kid so I would like to help in the best way I can.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
    - William Pitt

{NRA Benefactor Member and proud supporter of the 2nd Amendment}

2. Remove Ads

I'm guessing the code is 3C vice C3.

This is a conduct issue and while there is a possibility of waiver it may be very difficult. All depends on what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by CWOUSCG View Post
    I'm guessing the code is 3C vice C3.

This is a conduct issue and while there is a possibility of waiver it may be very difficult. All depends on what he did.
    Thanks for replying and yes that is what he said a 3Charlie. Without getting into detail he was 21 celebrating his birthday and the infraction happened on base. Serious but common and as I said he accepts the responsibility and performed admirably after that incident. I think this affects his chances of eventually getting into law enforcement at the State level and that is why he would like to get it off his record. I will change the post to 3C and thanks again.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
    - William Pitt

Tell him to try the Guard. Waiver authority is state level.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Ask Chorizo.

Distinguished Member
    The search function is your friend:

Classification of Military Discharges

Quite frankly, with the draw down going on, the is only two chances of him getting back in: Slim and None. Not being cute, just telling you the truth. And a letter from a Congressman will only get you a more detailed and lengthy "NO"

RE codes

Military Re-Enlistment Code Chart
    Jaeger likes this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Quote Originally Posted by cn262 View Post
    Yeah I read that as well. It clearly states that the 3C can be waived only by the CMC but I am not sure what is required to get them to do that. Thanks for your reply.
    - William Pitt

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMcPhe44 View Post
    Yeah I read that as well. It clearly states that the 3C can be waived only by the CMC but I am not sure what is required to get them to do that. Thanks for your reply.

He would have to have some extremely valuable skill, have extraordinarily redeemed himself by some rare act and likely some very high up, well connected, extremely influential connection. Short of that, with the draw down going on, there is clearly no chance he will get back in.

As for getting the code changed, he will need to get a lawyer, submit a request to the Board of Corrections and let it play out. Also very unlikely that he will get it changed.

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    The search function is your friend:

Classification of Military Discharges

Quite frankly, with the draw down going on, the is only two chances of him getting back in: Slim and None. Not being cute, just telling you the truth. And a letter from a Congressman will only get you a more detailed and lengthy "NO"

RE codes

Military Re-Enlistment Code Chart
    Thanks Chorizo I was hoping you would reply. He said exactly what you told me--that because of the draw down it would be tough. As far as the letter to the Congressman that was my thought as well or that the Marine Core might even resent the effort. Anyway thanks for the link and I will get that info to him.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    - William Pitt

Quote Originally Posted by BMcPhe44 View Post
    Thanks for replying and yes that is what he said a 3Charlie. Without getting into detail he was 21 celebrating his birthday and the infraction happened on base. Serious but common and as I said he accepts the responsibility and performed admirably after that incident. I think this affects his chances of eventually getting into law enforcement at the State level and that is why he would like to get it off his record. I will change the post to 3C and thanks again.
    No sweat. Tell him good luck but I'm afraid Chorizo is right.

Distinguished Member
    Wish I had better news for you.

Your best bet is to tell him to get on with his life, get several years of clean record under his belt, then apply to the Board of Corrections to see if he can get it changed.

Distinguished Member
    To give you an idea on the draw down

Marines Prepare for Smaller Force Due to Budget Woes | USNI News

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...e-marines.html

http://marines.dodlive.mil/2012/04/18/force-reduction/

Below gives you a snap shot of the what is going on:

The Marine Corps is no longer offering composite score points as a re-enlistment incentive effective July 1, according to MARADMIN 358/12.

“These incentives were put in place to meet the needs of the Marine Corps,” said Sgt. Maj. Michael R. Saucedo, the sergeant major of Headquarters Battalion, 3rd Marine Division, III MEF. “When there is no longer a need, they go away.”

During the drawdown the selection process will become more scrutinized, possibly disqualifying Marines with only a single blemish on their record, said Katchka.

“I think the Marine Corps wants to keep our combat-tested (non-commissioned officers), and you can’t put a price on the experience they have,” said Saucedo.

Marines with prior service planning on returning to active duty will not be able to do so until Jan. 1, 2013, according to MARADMIN 357/12. The changes will affect Marines with end of current contract dates ranging from Oct. 1, 2012 to Sept. 30, 2013.
    “Marines wanting to re-enlist need to stay competitive by performing at a level above their peers and staying out of trouble,” said Katchka.

Read more: http://www.dvidshub.net/news/91851/m...#ixzz2yaaia5P2

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Unfortunately, the services are more in a "Pick what you want" recruitment stage instead of a "Take what you can get" stage.
    Jaeger likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thanks Chorizo and others for your responses. I have forwarded all the info and links to him and I believe he understands what he is up against. I hate that he may not be able to pursue a State LE job for now but the good thing is he accepts his responsibility in the matter and he has a good job and can look after his family until some future date when maybe he can get a better outcome. Appreciate all the responses.
    Chorizo likes this.
    - William Pitt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links