Texas DPS "pausing" transition from Sig to M&P

This is a discussion on Texas DPS "pausing" transition from Sig to M&P within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Texas DPS Ditches S&W M&P Handguns Over Reliability Issues | The Truth About Guns Interesting. No info on what types of malfunctions are causing the ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By zonker1986
  • 1 Post By SwordMaster
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Texas DPS "pausing" transition from Sig to M&P

VIP Member

Texas DPS Ditches S&W M&P Handguns Over Reliability Issues | The Truth About Guns

Interesting. No info on what types of malfunctions are causing the concern, or under what conditions. I would like to see some real data on this, for while I love (and carry) classic P series Sigs, I have heard very little negative about the M&P line...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Given the option to openly carry either in the manner of LE, I'd opt for the Sig. I haven't fired an M&P, but there's something about them when I hold one that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    NCHP has had a lot of trouble with the M&P .357's they issue. I would be willing to bet there are other agencies that have had trouble as well with the .357 models of the M&P.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

SIG probably offered to buy all their M&P's and gave them all new 226's for free.

I would never base my opinion regarding any firearm on what happens while
    new recruits are shooting the gun. I know shooters that have literally thousands of rounds through their M&P's without a bobble. I have several M&P's and they are
    "stake your life on it reliable"......of course I am not a "new recruit."
    StormRhydr and Brad426 like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    They already had the Sigs on hand, they were the "old" ones that they were transitioning away from. And 5Lima30Ret, these M&Ps are 9mm, while the Sigs are .357Sig.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

These are , as I'm sure everybody knows, decisions that are rooted in politics and this doesn't neccesarily have anything to do with a problem regarding M&P's. With all of the federal $ being given to law enforcement organizations across the nation, my gut feeling is that this situation equates to me (or anyone here) buying that new more expensive, more lusted over gun and then shelving your old one. When the wife asks why you just spent $900 on a gun of which you have 10 identical ones (in her eyes), you mumble something about a broken guide rod or faulty extractor spring or clogged fuel valve or torn rotator cuff ......really anything that she doesn't understand.
    WannabeaCPA likes this.

Perhaps Sig can give them a deal on top ends and magazines.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I have a hard time envisioning most of LE wearing out a handgun. A SWAT guy maybe, but not the run-of-the-mill patrolman.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    And apparently the Atlanta PD swapped their M&Ps for Glocks last year?

GLOCK USA :: GLOCK Secures Atlanta Police Department as Newest Law Enforcement Customer

In this case .40S&W M&Ps for G22s, thus ending a 70 year relationship between APD and S&W. Again, I'm not bashing M&Ps AT ALL, I have heard many, many good things about them. Which is why "reliability issues" with two major police organizations piques my curiosity: What types of malfunctions? Under what conditions? At what rate? Come on, people, throw us a bone here.

VIP Member
    (BTW, neither of these cases have anything to do with wearing out a gun. In Texas, these were brand new M&Ps that were shelved in favor of old Sigs that they already had in stock. In Atlanta, it was the result of internal testing that led the APD to swap manufacturers, not that their M&Ps were worn out).

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I have a hard time envisioning most of LE wearing out a handgun. A SWAT guy maybe, but not the run-of-the-mill patrolman.
    The average beat cop is going to wear the best of
    guns out in 8-10 years max.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    And apparently the Atlanta PD swapped their M&Ps for Glocks last year?

GLOCK USA :: GLOCK Secures Atlanta Police Department as Newest Law Enforcement Customer

In this case .40S&W M&Ps for G22s, thus ending a 70 year relationship between APD and S&W. Again, I'm not bashing M&Ps AT ALL, I have heard many, many good things about them. Which is why "reliability issues" with two major police organizations piques my curiosity: What types of malfunctions? Under what conditions? At what rate? Come on, people, throw us a bone here.
    Lol, OF COURSE THEY SWITCHED TO GLOCKS...Glock built a plant in GA. Im a Glock guy, but had an M&P Compact 9mm, before my first Glock, and aint nothing wrong with M&Ps in my book.

And I put a very high round count with my M&P in training and practice.

Distinguished Member
    This may have just been a way for them to keep what they really wanted. Any difficulty can be expounded upon to make it worse than it really is.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Links