PA: Off duty LEO stabbed in home invasion.

This is a discussion on PA: Off duty LEO stabbed in home invasion. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Where was her sidearm? Story: Off-duty Philadelphia police officer stabbed in home burglary | 6abc.com...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By RickyD
  • 1 Post By firerat
  • 2 Post By xXxplosive

Thread: PA: Off duty LEO stabbed in home invasion.

PA: Off duty LEO stabbed in home invasion.

Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

All cops are not "gun people." I know one cop here whose badge and handgun, the same handgun he bought when he got hired, stay in his locker. He doesn't own any other guns. He (his wife) doesn't feel it's safe to have them at home with little kids.

Distinguished Member
    Oh, well. Bet she will.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

I have known several LEO who did not carry off duty.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Unfortunately to some it's just a regular paycheck and their job performance on the street reflects it.

We had one officer who had two negligent discharges in the station with his duty Glock and one with his taser that put the darts into my office door.

He got days off and remedial training but many never had confidence in his weapons handling again.

He never showed an interest in firearms and though he qualified annually he was always on the bottom of the list.

He was also one who never carried off duty.

The majority of officers are not like this however in my observations over the years far to many are.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

With all the things a LEO sees in the work place, one would think that the reason for carrying at all times would be a no brainer.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    It`s still Killadelphia,why I left 40yrs ago. Nothing has changed,only gotten worse.

I have a hard time understanding why an off duty officer would not carry. There could be any number of people that could want revenge for something the policeman/woman did or it could just be a nut that want's to hurt a cop. Us civilians have to constantly watch out for trouble it's got to be much worse for police officers.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Distinguished Member
    There aren't any details in this story. It is possible that the victim knew her attacker; she was stabbed in the arm and he is in custody. She may or may not carry - we just don't get enough from what is here.

With this said, if it turns out that she does not carry I would most certainly agree with the rest of you that it would seem very unwise given her choice of a profession.
    firerat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    There aren't any details in this story. It is possible that the victim knew her attacker; she was stabbed in the arm and he is in custody. She may or may not carry - we just don't get enough from what is here.
    I was just about to type the same thing.
    RickyD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama61 View Post
    I have a hard time understanding why an off duty officer would not carry. There could be any number of people that could want revenge for something the policeman/woman did or it could just be a nut that want's to hurt a cop. Us civilians have to constantly watch out for trouble it's got to be much worse for police officers.
    I have a friend of mine who was an officer for a number of years before he made detective, he told me he had a guy ride up on him with a motorcyle while he was going to his car in front of a grocery store in Charlotte NC and ask him "Do you remember Me"? Then he pulled off his helmet and my friend told him he had better get the h_ _ on unless he wants to go to jail again. I asked my friend did he have his piece with him and he said naw. I told him Man as many people that you have locked up here in Charlotte and as close to retirement as you are you should never go anywhere without it. I told him that was just a warning to start carrying your piece off duty and he said yeah I know and that is what I am going to start doing from now on.

Truth be told.............carried for almost 20 yrs. at my job........after awhile it became a real PIA to constantly walk around armed with a IWB.....but twice in those 20yrs. I needed it and it was there.......Trouble Doesn't make An Appointment......and I'm Still Here.
    RickyD and Phaedrus like this.

Well I say if this doesn't wise her up she very well will never make detective or Sgt. I've heard enough scary stories out of PA that make me darn glad my family never chose to settle there.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Links